101 hotel
  • Room Service
Excellent 5/5
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbathroom areamodern designgreat boutiquesmall gymour honeymoonjunior suitehigher floorperfect locationconcert hallstreet noiserooms are comfortablemini barnight's sleepdowntown reykjavikearly checkstorage spaceblue lagoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Spent two nights here as part of a group of 6 visiting Reykjavik and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The location is ideal, only a short walk to the shopping areas and bars and restaurants. The design of the hotel is very chic with a lovely lounge area with rather unusual chairs. The bar area is minimalistic being mostly glass and leather and quite dark. Our group had 3 rooms more or less next to each other and each one had a balcony which was great (shame about the persistent rain though!). Breakfast was fairly expensive (about £15 for a buffet style) but I've paid this in a Hilton in the UK so typical city price. If I was visiting again, I would definitely choose this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Iceland has always been on my visit list and the country didn't disappoint, starting with my four-night stay at 101 Hotel.

- The location is great, especially if you're a walker
- Front desk staff are charming.
- Breakfast came with my room and was delish. (Melissa who worked in the breakfast bar area is a great conversationalist.)
- The hotel is comfortable
- There's a public space computer in case you believe in device-free vacations
- The room worked very well for me as a solo traveler

Now, here are specifics:

I specifically asked for a room on a higher floor, away from the elevator and the best view possible for my price point (deluxe). Room 407 was even better than I imagined.
- The room has views of the opera house and mountains and main square. I checked in early because of my morning flight from NYC (it cost an additional $80 or so, but worth it to shower, nap and then get started on my day.
- Bed was perfectly fine. I slept on the left because the right is probably overused (it's closest to the bathroom) It's time for staff to flip the mattress though.
- Down pillows and duvets make me congested, but these weren't bad enough for me to ask for a switcheroo
- Nice to have separate toilet
- Waterfall shower is heavenly. Note that if you don't want to stand under it until you get the temperature right, pull the top nozzle, which controls the handheld shower head. Get your temp right and then push the nozzle in. Voila!
- The room does fog up, so you have to eschew the environment post-shower and pull the nozzle and have cold water flow until the mirrors, etc. clear. That's my only no-no about this room.
- The sink is tricky, but extra towels on the floor catch water if you're a splasher when you wash your face.
- Towels, etc were soft. Slippers good quality. The hair dryer wasn't immediately visible to me, but I did find it.
- You do have to carry soap from sink to shower and back, but maybe just ask for an extra bar.
- Aveda products are nice. But...if you have dry skin, bring your own goodies.
- Guests seem like an international mix. Some lovely, some snotty. Some armed with the latest Yelp and New York Times reviews, some just chill.

Other stuff:
- I never used the jacuzzi or steam room because I noticed that some guests weren't bathing beforehand. Yuck, but the rooms are clean, which means staff is in there all the time.
- The hotel price is a little high, but you don't visit Iceland for the bargains and the location is perfect for a city slicker like me.
- I was never bothered by the noise, but maybe that's because I live in Brooklyn or was on a higher floor, or was so busy exploring that I slept like a baby at the end of each day.
- If you're sharing the room with a friend, it'll be hard to keep your body private. The shower area doesn't have a wall, but who cares. We know what each other has anatomically.
- There is turndown service, but it would've been cute if some Icelandic licorice was on my pillow.
- I visited during the week, so can't comment on the weekend bar noise. During the week, at night, the city centre is very quiet. No craziness to be found and stores close early, so go to the grocery store , boutiques, music/book stores, etc., in the morning or early afternoon. Expect a ghost town around 7 p.m .

Would I visit again? Absolutely. Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Would my parents, chi chi and frugal friends like it? Absolutely!

**Photos to come

Room Tip: If you're really a light sleeper and not just picky, ask for a higher floor. But stay out all day and stroll around at night, or take a night tour. When you return to your room, you should be exhausted. Sleeping through the night should be easy. The hallways are dark, so if you get a little paranoid, scared, or think someone is out to get your, ask for a room near the stairwells or the elevator. Both are in main areas on each floor. Bring your own body cream, shampoo, etc. if you have dry skin. Aveda's Rosemary line gives superficial moisture.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Travel G
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We have just returned from a really lovely time at 101 Hotel. The public rooms were beautifully designed with very interesting pieces. Our room on the 4th floor was immaculate and so comfortable !! The view overlooked the Harpa concert/conference centre which was illuminated throughout the night by state of the art "Northern Lights" - which, unfortunately, we had to make do with as the skies were too cloudy for us to see the real thing!! Martin on reception was very welcoming and helpful throughout. Breakfast was good - a good choice of goodies ... there was a small hot selection of scrambled eggs,sausages and bacon. The lady in charge was very sweet and knowledgeable.
Would definately return to this hotel again .... lovely time had by all !!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have best view of the city.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sorryleg
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Visited in September 2012 for three nights. As I was in Reykjavik during the week (vs. the weekend) I suspect that my Reykjavik experience was quite different than those that experience the city during more clubby weekends. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful in answering my various questions and attending to my needs. The location was second to none as pretty much all major city attractions were less than a ten minute walk. I did not eat in the restaurant but ordered drinks during happy hour. Service was very slow (but I encountered this throughout all dining establishments in Reykjavik not just here) and as there were only a handful of people I question what it would be like during a busy weekend night.

Overall a good experience but a bit on the pricy side.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TraveltheWorldBK
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We booked the 101 Hotel based on the many positive reviews we read on TripAdvisor, and we were not disappointed. We stayed here for five nights in the middle of December.

The hotel is very conveniently located, just steps from a main shopping street, and a short walk from many major city attractions. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, with Aveda toiletries (and other pricier items available for purchase). The bed linens were crisp and clean, and the bed and pillows were very comfortable, too. We found the room's temperature easy to regulate, and enjoyed watching British television programs on the TV. The only slight negative was the open bathroom layout -- a bit awkward for the more modest among us, as the shower area is rather exposed.

All of the staff we dealt with were very kind and attentive, from the front desk to the bar servers to housekeeping. The staff at the front desk in particular were always sure to welcome us or to ask if we needed anything as we passed by, offering restaurant suggestions, directions and more -- they even suggested that they could move us into a room with a better view after our first night. As we had an issue with a broken door knob and the safe, we did have to move anyway, and it was no trouble for them at all -- and we certainly enjoyed our room with a much better view of the lovely Reykjavik harbor.

We read some complaints about noise, but we had no issues at all in this regard. I'm a fairly light sleeper, and never heard a peep outside past midnight.

We would definitely recommend 101 Hotel to anyone, and will stay here again when we return to Reykjavik -- which we plan to do soon, as we fell in love with this charming city!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking toward Harpa and the harbor. We were in room 303 and had a lovely view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends