“Not as good as we were expecting, but great location”
Review of 101 hotel

101 hotel
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Gloucestershire
“Not as good as we were expecting, but great location”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay here. The hotel is ideally situated and we found it easily - note there is no parking, but a short walk from an undercover car park.
We were disappointed by our room. It looks as it appears on the photos at first glance but there were a few things we were disappointed with. In the room there was only a tiny shampoo, conditioner, 1 soap and an already used moisturiser! No shower gel, so we had to use the soap in the shower then keep putting it back by the sink. Had we been staying longer we would have asked for more - but you shouldn't have to ask for basic items like shower gel.

The room has very little storage space, lots of the spare space is taken up with items for sale (each room has things from boxer shorts, books to blue lagoon shampoo available to buy) Also the headboard was covered with a sheet - not so chic!
My biggest complaint about this hotel was that there was no hot drink making facilities in the rooms (no kettle or coffee maker) I asked for a kettle but the man on reception wasn't very apologetic and said he couldn't find one, they must all be being used. But I could go to the bar and ask for a pot of hot water (the bar closes until 7am so you can't get a hot drink until then) If Iceland was warm this wouldn't have been such an issue, but its freezing outside so not having hot drinks facilities seemed very poor. I wouldn't stay here again, we were told it was one of the best hotels in the area but were disappointed with our stay.

Room Tip: No hot drinks facilities in the rooms and take shower gel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Arraminta32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I had a confirmed reservation with 101 Hotel back in the beginning of October. After a 10 hour commute, I arrived, only to be told that my room was not available:

Me: Hi, I'd like to check in. The reservation should be under Alex.
Front Desk: Let me see... *types on keyboard*... Unfortunately, it looks like we're overbooked but I've made you a great alternate arrangement at Reykjavik Apartments just down the street. If you'll just hold on for one second, I can get you a taxi and make sure the room is set up for you when you arrive.
Me: *Completely Floored* What? I made this reservation back in October!
Front Desk: Unfortunately, that's not my problem. If you want to speak to someone, my manager will be in around 3 and you can ask her why this decision was made.
Me: Ok, I did my research before I booked this hotel and I know that rooms at Reykjavik Apartments go for around $80 (~60 Euros). This doesn't seem fair.
Front Desk: I can assure you that these are great rooms. If they weren't, we wouldn't be sending our guests over there.
Me: What about the price difference?
Front Desk: How much did you pay for here?
Me: About 190 Euros! (I made a booking in advance and paid a slightly reduced rate)
Front Desk: That's 25% less than our rack rate.
Me: That's still a huge difference!
Front Desk: This really isn't our fault, if you want to talk to my manager you can come back at 3. Do you want me to call and set up your room?
Me: No, I'm going to make some calls.

I start to frantically look up hotels on my phone (thank goodness for T-Mobile's international data plan!)

At this point, a couple checks out of the hotel. I overhear them getting into an small argument with the front desk about being charged for a breakfast that was supposed to be included. When they leave, I ask:

Me: How are there no hotel rooms when you have people checking out?
Front Desk: It's complicated
Me: Then explain it to me
Front Desk: Rooms are already booked
Me: I got a confirmation back in October and there's literally nobody else here waiting for a room!
Front Desk: There are 7 or 8 different room types
Me: So what room type am I, and how is it different from theirs?
Front Desk: (without checking) They're just different

I ended up getting the last hotel room at Kvosin Hotels a short ride away, which was absolutely lovely. 101 Hotel transferred over my payment and paid for the ride over, which did little to remove the bad taste from my mouth. It's not so much that the hotel was overbooked (it happens) it's how poorly the guy at the front desk handled the situation.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and make sure you actually have a room. Even if you book months in advance.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Alex L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The hotel is an excellent location, right next to the main shopping streets with plenty of restaurants, cafes and bars. The hotel is very stylish and is adorned with plenty of pieces of art. The lounge area is very cosy with a central fire and the rooms are comfortable. We were upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite which was lovely and spacious with free standing bath. The space is used very well and makes for a very good night's rest.

Breakfast was good, not great. Nice selection but not vast. We ate 2 mornings out of 4 and set us up nicely for the day.

The staff were excellent and very helpful. Answering questions, giving advice, restaurant recommendations etc.

I'd definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: 201 is a lovely room with free standing bath
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sebastiandilleyston
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

So I have to say up-front we didn't actually stay here. When we arrived, after waiting around 15 mins in a chaotic reception, we were abruptly told that the hotel was overbooked and we would be staying elsewhere. Never ideal but particularly upsetting as it was our first wedding anniversary and this trip had been booked to compensate for travel problems on our honeymoon. A phone call in advance of us arriving at the hotel would have been appreciated. As the booking was made in August (we arrived Dec) I don't know how no one had spotted this issue in advance. After a rather fraught debate about whether the room we were being offered elsewhere was at the same standard and cost - we had a junior suite reserved and paid in advance, the answer seemed to be no on both counts - the receptionist rang the other hotel, had us upgraded and added some champagne by way of compensation. So were they trying to scam us with an inferior room in the first instance? Maybe not but whatever the truth of it, we left feeling upset and that it could all have been handled better. Unfortunate.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Fcwebb
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We recently stayed here for two nights and had a mostly positive experience. The room was clean and comfortable, and we appreciated the early check in after our overnight flight from the U.S. It was nice having the Jacuzzi and steam rooms in the small spa area. The location was central with all the popular sights and restaurants within walking distance. The only thing that took away from our experience was the attitude of some of the staff. Most of the staff were helpful although formal. One of them was actually both helpful and pleasant. However, one of the women at reception was unhelpful and haughty. She made us feel as though we didn't deserve to stay at such a posh place. In spite of this we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again when in Reykjavik.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights,arriving late on our first night,but had a good welcome. The room was good,clean and smart and best of all, warm!!! Which is essential as its so very cold!! The clue is in the name!
Bed was comfortable enough,I'm very fussy with beds and very rarely sleep well in strange beds,but was fine by night 2!
Breakfast was ok, not the best I've ever had but more than enough and a good enough selection!
The staff were great,Jo at breakfast is a mine of information so if there is anything you need to know, all staff were friendly and very helpful.
Avoid the hotel bar...£15 for a tiny glass of wine ?!?!?!?
Location of the hotel couldn't be better,right in the middle of town!
Good choice for a weekend break!

Room Tip: Ask for room 501, that's got the best view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Katrin G, Manager at 101 hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write an review, we highly appreciate it. We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. it´s our aim always to do better and therefore it´s essential to get to hear all aspects of the stay so we can take the issues in to consideration. In regards to the price of the wine glass, our most expensive wine is around 8 pounds per glass. We would like to investigate it further why you got charged 15 pounds for a glass, if a mistake was made we would like to refund you the difference. Again thank you for your time and we hope to welcome you again to 101 Hotel in the near future.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My partner and I spent three nights at Hotel 101. It was a surprise 50th birthday present for me. My partner did all the booking and I was at the mercy of the itinerary and her judgment. It was perfect. We had a fantastic room - Rm 401 and we were able have an early check-in which helped immensely with our early flight time. We recognized this cannot always be accommodated but the staff at Hotel 101 were able to do this and it made the start of our trip a great one. We loved the clean lines, the design and style of the hotel. It was small and yet it had a great vibe with the lounge and restaurant filling up in the evening. It was very, very convenient and centrally located so we had access to a lot of interesting spots on foot. We heard some street noise one evening (Saturday I think) but it wasn't too disturbing and we expected it as Reykjavik is a fun city. If you wish to be in the heart of it all, you have to expect some night revellers and celebrating. The small spa next to the fitness room was very nice, with steam closets and a hot tub.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Katrin G, Manager at 101 hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate it. We are very pleased that you had such a pleasurable stay with us and we hope to welcome you again to 101 Hotel !