“Great Stay at 101 Hotel”
Review of 101 hotel

101 hotel
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
New York City, New York
“Great Stay at 101 Hotel”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I went to Reykjavik for a long weekend and stayed at 101 Hotel. This is a great hotel, small, quite and very clean and modern. The staff at the front desk were very helpful. We arrived early in the morning and they were very accommodating and helped us with places to park the car and even put some money in the meter while we slept for a while.

The hotel is located in the center of Reykjavick and you can walk to all the shops and restaurants.

The rooms are spacious and very clean and the bathroom area was nice and roomy, complete with bathrobes and slippers.

The hotel lobby/bar is great during the day after coming back from exploring Iceland and great at night to stop in before going to bed. At night you can here some drunk people outside but that is also very random and did not bother us and did not last very long. If Iceland is on one of your top places to go, you should go and stay at 101 Hotel.

1 Thank Taramarievan22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 January 2014

After witnessing what seems like dozens of other hotels in Reykjavik thanks to the flybus and jeep tour pick-up rounds we couldn't be happier that we choose 101. Easily the best located hotel that we saw, very close to the central shopping streets and great restaurant choices... also close to the famous hot-dog stand!

Did not arrive until 2am and they made check-in as quick and painless as possible.

The room was cozy, hard bed soft sheets were excellent. One suggestion - summer or winter if you're there over the weekend bring earplugs! Bars do not close until late, 3-4am. After midnight on Friday and Saturday night there was a steady stream of drunks wandering around on the surrounding streets. This seems to be the norm though, I'd pack them wherever you're staying... we saw some pretty amusing things en route to the airport at 530am!

Breakfast was good and reasonably priced. The bar is a bit of a local scene, very chic.

Will definitely stay here again if we plan another Iceland trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back or on a higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrMrsJim
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at 101 for only 1 night as part of our honeymoon. The hotel was very pleasant and conveniently located for a stroll around Reykjavik but we unfortunately didn't have time for much else. Our room was very modern in comparison to the more traditional places we stayed on our trip but was very comfortable and provided a nice contrast. Food in the restaurant was nice, I would recommend this place for a stay in Reykjavik.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian G
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay here. The hotel is ideally situated and we found it easily - note there is no parking, but a short walk from an undercover car park.
We were disappointed by our room. It looks as it appears on the photos at first glance but there were a few things we were disappointed with. In the room there was only a tiny shampoo, conditioner, 1 soap and an already used moisturiser! No shower gel, so we had to use the soap in the shower then keep putting it back by the sink. Had we been staying longer we would have asked for more - but you shouldn't have to ask for basic items like shower gel.

The room has very little storage space, lots of the spare space is taken up with items for sale (each room has things from boxer shorts, books to blue lagoon shampoo available to buy) Also the headboard was covered with a sheet - not so chic!
My biggest complaint about this hotel was that there was no hot drink making facilities in the rooms (no kettle or coffee maker) I asked for a kettle but the man on reception wasn't very apologetic and said he couldn't find one, they must all be being used. But I could go to the bar and ask for a pot of hot water (the bar closes until 7am so you can't get a hot drink until then) If Iceland was warm this wouldn't have been such an issue, but its freezing outside so not having hot drinks facilities seemed very poor. I wouldn't stay here again, we were told it was one of the best hotels in the area but were disappointed with our stay.

Room Tip: No hot drinks facilities in the rooms and take shower gel
2 Thank Arraminta32
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I had a confirmed reservation with 101 Hotel back in the beginning of October. After a 10 hour commute, I arrived, only to be told that my room was not available:

Me: Hi, I'd like to check in. The reservation should be under Alex.
Front Desk: Let me see... *types on keyboard*... Unfortunately, it looks like we're overbooked but I've made you a great alternate arrangement at Reykjavik Apartments just down the street. If you'll just hold on for one second, I can get you a taxi and make sure the room is set up for you when you arrive.
Me: *Completely Floored* What? I made this reservation back in October!
Front Desk: Unfortunately, that's not my problem. If you want to speak to someone, my manager will be in around 3 and you can ask her why this decision was made.
Me: Ok, I did my research before I booked this hotel and I know that rooms at Reykjavik Apartments go for around $80 (~60 Euros). This doesn't seem fair.
Front Desk: I can assure you that these are great rooms. If they weren't, we wouldn't be sending our guests over there.
Me: What about the price difference?
Front Desk: How much did you pay for here?
Me: About 190 Euros! (I made a booking in advance and paid a slightly reduced rate)
Front Desk: That's 25% less than our rack rate.
Me: That's still a huge difference!
Front Desk: This really isn't our fault, if you want to talk to my manager you can come back at 3. Do you want me to call and set up your room?
Me: No, I'm going to make some calls.

I start to frantically look up hotels on my phone (thank goodness for T-Mobile's international data plan!)

At this point, a couple checks out of the hotel. I overhear them getting into an small argument with the front desk about being charged for a breakfast that was supposed to be included. When they leave, I ask:

Me: How are there no hotel rooms when you have people checking out?
Front Desk: It's complicated
Me: Then explain it to me
Front Desk: Rooms are already booked
Me: I got a confirmation back in October and there's literally nobody else here waiting for a room!
Front Desk: There are 7 or 8 different room types
Me: So what room type am I, and how is it different from theirs?
Front Desk: (without checking) They're just different

I ended up getting the last hotel room at Kvosin Hotels a short ride away, which was absolutely lovely. 101 Hotel transferred over my payment and paid for the ride over, which did little to remove the bad taste from my mouth. It's not so much that the hotel was overbooked (it happens) it's how poorly the guy at the front desk handled the situation.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and make sure you actually have a room. Even if you book months in advance.
19 Thank Alex L
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The hotel is an excellent location, right next to the main shopping streets with plenty of restaurants, cafes and bars. The hotel is very stylish and is adorned with plenty of pieces of art. The lounge area is very cosy with a central fire and the rooms are comfortable. We were upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite which was lovely and spacious with free standing bath. The space is used very well and makes for a very good night's rest.

Breakfast was good, not great. Nice selection but not vast. We ate 2 mornings out of 4 and set us up nicely for the day.

The staff were excellent and very helpful. Answering questions, giving advice, restaurant recommendations etc.

I'd definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: 201 is a lovely room with free standing bath
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sebastiandilleyston
Reviewed 9 December 2013

So I have to say up-front we didn't actually stay here. When we arrived, after waiting around 15 mins in a chaotic reception, we were abruptly told that the hotel was overbooked and we would be staying elsewhere. Never ideal but particularly upsetting as it was our first wedding anniversary and this trip had been booked to compensate for travel problems on our honeymoon. A phone call in advance of us arriving at the hotel would have been appreciated. As the booking was made in August (we arrived Dec) I don't know how no one had spotted this issue in advance. After a rather fraught debate about whether the room we were being offered elsewhere was at the same standard and cost - we had a junior suite reserved and paid in advance, the answer seemed to be no on both counts - the receptionist rang the other hotel, had us upgraded and added some champagne by way of compensation. So were they trying to scam us with an inferior room in the first instance? Maybe not but whatever the truth of it, we left feeling upset and that it could all have been handled better. Unfortunate.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple