“good central location, compact but satisfactory” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of CenterHotel Klopp

CenterHotel Klopp
Ranked #36 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Bicester, England, United Kingdom
“good central location, compact but satisfactory”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I agree with a lot of the reviews here on TA, our room was a twin but it was very small with the beds butted right up to each other (which was obviously fine for us but may not be if you're not a couple!) and overlooked the skate park, but we didnt find this noisy ( just luck?). Our friends staying in a room overlooking the front of the hotel found it very noisy on fri/sat nights when the nightclub opposite emptied out. The reception area and breakfast area is very small and congested at peak times. On the plus side the staff were friendly and accommodating, the rooms had wi-fi and the central location was good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

The Klopp is a pleasant place to stay. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, the decor simple but not spartan, the breakfast good, the staff friendly (although I'd have to say, I found everyone we met in Iceland was friendly and helpful). We were there three nights and had no trouble finding reasonably priced street parking. Because of the central location, we were able to walk to restaurants for dinner, nice after driving around the countryside everyday.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Heckmondwike, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We arrived at the Klopp after a long day driving and then having been bumped out of the Klettur (our original booking) in order to accommodate a large group of people, so I guess we weren't overly happy on our arrival. The first problem was we were then given a twin room, then we discovered we were overlooking a skate park, which bizarrely also seemed to be a location for groups of young adults (students?) dressed up in various costumes to participate in drinking games.
The room itself was adequately sized but comfortable and pleasant, the bathroom was fine although the shower only just got up to an acceptable temperature and we didn't hang around in it.
On the plus side breakfast was very good, staff were friendly and helpful, and happy hour (well 2 hours from 5pm to 7pm) was a good deal at 500kr for a large beer. The Klopp is well located in downtown and only 5 minutes or so walk from the harbour.
If I had to stay at the Klopp again, I would not be unhappy, but I would more likely try and find a different hotel instead. I did not want to give it 4 out of 5, but 3 is a little low and I think overall rating the Klopp a 3.5 to be fair.

Room Tip: Try not overlooking the skate park
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Nice hotel in a great spot. It's very close to the main street which has a few bars/club's on it - I had a rear facing single room but couldn't hear anything from the street and there was definitely things going on. Some rooms do overlook a skate park though somight be a little noisy at other times of the year. All the staff there are very friendly - they'll gladly help you arrange airport pickups and trips.

The single room is quite small but functional - there's a small fridge and a TV as well as a reasonable number of power sockets dotted around for charging various things. Wireless is free throughout the building and worked flawlessly throughout my 5 day stay.

The bathroom has a shower which has a habit of spraying water around a little so don't put anything you want to keep dry on the floor in there if you're using it. I also found the water somewhat lukewarm when using it between 0800-0900 - before/after those times it seemed a lot better (very hot if not careful).

Breakfast was a little minimalistic but sufficed, it's about the only thing I think could be improved upon - while they do put out some bit's for those on the early flight's out of Keflavík (mine meant being picked up at 0430) it was just some orange juice and a few croissants.

All in all a good place for the cost and I would definately stay there again :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex S
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed five nights last week and it was a delightful experience! Location could not be better, breakfast was delicious (particularly the herring), an easy walk to the harbor and all the shops. The three lovely ladies at the Front Desk are charming and very helpful. I asked them to book an excursion and the FlyBus back to the airport...quickly and efficiently done. I don't travel with my laptop so it was very convenient to have a free computer/internet in the lobby to check emails, etc. My room was quite fine...lots of sunshine with a pleasant view of the mountains. There is a fantastic skate park in back of the hotel...the art is amazing, bold and cheerful...check it out! Others have mentioned loud music from the club/bar close by...I only heard it one night but did not find it too disturbing (perhaps because I was on the fifth floor). I loved the Klopp and would happily stay here again when I return to Iceland (and I certainly will revisit this wonderful country).

PS: My flight arrived at 6:30 AM and I was happy to pay the surcharge for early check-in. If your budget is not too tight, it's worth the $35 to take a nap and refresh yourself on arrival. They cannot guarantee early check-in but it's well worth it if a room frees up or they are not fully booked.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SusanWNYC
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

We spent eight days at CenterHotel Klopp and had a wonderful visit. The hotel is very clean and well-maintained; the room and lobby were both attractive and comfortable. It was so refreshing to come back to this place after our long days of touring.

Its small size is a perk. The small cast of rotating staff members quickly became familiar faces; they were all very friendly and always happy to help. We especially appreciated that they happily stored our luggage before check-in and after checkout since our flight times didn't coincide with the hotel schedule (they also got us into a room as early as they could on our arrival day).

You can't ask for a more convenient location; there were so many amenities and attractions within walking distance. There are several nearby grocery stores so we were able to buy lunch/snack items and stash a few things in the minibar fridge. Breakfast always got us filled up for the morning ahead. The breakfast bar included yogurt, granola, fruit, meat, cheese, breads, and juice. The staff did a good job of keeping the area clean and stocked for the entire 7-10 am meal time, and the lobby has a nice sitting area in which to enjoy the meal and your fellow travelers' company.

While we heard some street noise (there is a music club right across the street, but not as rowdy as some others), I never heard any noise from the hallways or neighboring rooms. CenterHotel Klopp has a very peaceful yet energetic vibe. If I could change one thing about this hotel, it would be the pillows. They were small and lumpy... but that's hardly a major complaint!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MNtraveler62
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

My partner and I went to Reykjavik in January and stayed at the CenterHotel Klopp

The hotel is very central - just off the main shopping /eating street, very handy indeed!

The room was clean, comfortable and warm with breakfast included - which was fine, typical Continental style of meats, cheeses, eggs etc.

What really made the hotel for us was the receptionist - Clara, who was absolutely great - very knowledgeable, helpful in organising and full of good tips of places to see, eat etc.

The hotel even has a service that will wake you up if the Northern Lights start (they're not very predictable!) Unfortunately, we didn't get to see them - so maybe an excuse to go back? We certainly would!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple