“Good hotel on a super location in Reykjavik”
Review of Hotel Hilda

Hotel Hilda
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Meerbeek, Brabant, Belgium
“Good hotel on a super location in Reykjavik”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The location of this clean hotel is excellent and quiet. Very friendly staff. Our room - number 5 in front of the reception - was very small. The breakfast room is also very small - only 8 seats and the hotel has 13 rooms - so it could be full. Nice place for 1 or 2 nights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
wooloomooloo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is a wonderful place - more like staying in a private residence or intimate B&B than a hotel. Super location, very close to downtown, in a characterful street. Street parking only if you have a vehicle, metered during the day unless you park a block away. My room on the top floor was clean and functional and very Scandinavian. Small but adequate bathroom. The included breakfast was fine, and the breakfast room very social (i.e. tiny!) Above all - excellent service from the friendly and attentive staff. highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher the better I think - I would not like to be on the ground or basement levels.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We discovered this little jewel when we returned to Iceland for the second time. It has only been open for a year but it is the place we will return to on our next trip. It is located on a quite residential street just a few minutes walk from the downtown area where all the shops and restaurants are located. The rooms are small but well appointed and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious with a wide selection of items to chose from. You can sit inside or in the lovely glassed in gazebo in the rear garden. The staff was friendly, helpful and very professional. We had requested an early check-in if possible since our flight arrived early in the morning. We arrived at the hotel to find our room waiting or us. It was refreshing to clean up and take a short nap before starting out to explore the city. It's almost like staying at a friends home rather then a hotel. We will definitely stay there on all our future trips to Iceland.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My stay at Hotel Hilda was tinted by an experience I had on the second day. On the first day, I settled in nicely, although I was a bit perturbed by the thin curtains that separated my room from the street - marginal privacy.

On the second day, after touring, I returned to my room, to find it spotless, uncluttered by any of my luggage at all! It had all gone! I went to reception, and they said they had changed my room. They had carried all of my stuff, including expensive equipment to another room, while I was gone, without a word to me. Maybe this is fine according to culture in Iceland, but not by me.

Jetlag had hit and I slept without thinking. When I woke up, it struck me that this room was much smaller, not bigger than a shoebox. The bed was a single. I went to reception and complained that I had asked for and paid for a double bed. The staff asked me, where on my voucher did it say "double bed"? I pulled out the voucher, and showed her. She said there had been a mistake, that I could pack my bags, and they would shift my room again.

True to word, by that evening I was back in a double room at footpath level. I could see feet walking past outside as I reclined on my bed. My feeling is that in summer, the quality of the room is far from the price that I paid, but in peak season in this expensive country, I guess expectations should be lowered.

One thing I really did like was the breakfast. The room is tiny and always full, but the small number of guests from different countries bond well, and its great to hear their experiences of Iceland. And the food is good and varied.

My feeling is that many guests can enjoy their experience in this hotel, so long as they don't expect too much, and as long as they don't experience the same "mistake" as me. The surroundings really are beautiful, including a park to the south, and the "Icelandic fish and chips" a short walk away (really, really good food)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SingaporeMatt
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hotel Hilda is a new renovation and the rooms are decorated in a fresh, modern way and are spotlessly clean. Our room was adequate in size, but not large. As Reykjavik is so small it's only a short stroll to the main attractions. I felt a little let down by the breakfast. It was served in a tiny breakfast room that was full when we wanted to eat so we had to carry our food outside to a glass house. It was ok in July, but I wouldn't want to be eating out there at any other time of year! But most of the reviews on here seem to rave about the glass house so maybe I'm just fussy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I recently spent three weeks alone in Iceland, with 9 of those nights at the Hotel Hilda in Reykjavik. I was going to be in and out of the city, doing days long expeditions and wanted a home base for my time back in the city. Hotel Hilda was PERFECT!!! Small, quiet, Super Friendly and Warm Staff, well equipped rooms and bathrooms, lovely breakfasts every morning, beautiful garden with glass gazebo for eating, reading, socializing and quiet time, as needed. All of the staff were so inviting, helpful and enthusiastic about my adventures. Angela even brought in her own nail polish remover for me! Talk about keeping clients happy with personal service!! They were very keen to make sure that my time in Iceland and at their hotel was all that I was hoping for. And they succeeded beyond expectations!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We booked our stay at the Hotel Hilda based on the reviews that we read. We were happy we did. The Hotel Hilda sits in a quiet residential area that is only a few blocks from the center of Reykjavik and the shopping and night life area. The staff are exceedingly friendly, courteous and attentive. The day we checked in, the entire 13-room hotel turned over, so our room had no duvet covers when we arrived. The staff were aware, and were waiting until they were sure we were not napping before coming to our room. There is always someone on duty to attend to your needs, and they get it right every time. We had a deluxe room, a larger room with a very large en suite bathroom. It was spotless. The breakfast buffet is really good, and the glass gazebo is a wonderful place to have your breakfast, especially when the weather is nice.

We heartily recommend the Hotel Hilda to you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family