“Breathtaking!”

and up
Inside the Volcano: Small Group Thrihnukagigur Hike and Tour from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Journey towards the centre of the earth. Descend 120 meters into the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Breathtaking!”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

If you happen to come to Iceland make sure you do not miss this fantastic experience. It is simply breathtaking.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“DO Travel inside the Volcano!”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I did this tour in July, 2012. Loved it!! One of the highlights of my time in Iceland. I have a feeling it is going to book up fast this season so if you are going reserve on the website a head of time!
The explanation on the website is almost to a 'tee' of what you will get when you go which I appreciated!
This is NOT repelling into a volcano, you are lowered in on what I describe as 'moving scaffolding'-essentially they load you on to a moving platform similar to what you see people who clean windows on large skyscrapers use.

One word of advice please do not Under-Estimate the walk/'trek' from the shuttle drop off point to the base of the volcano. It was about 45 minutes accross a field full of lava rock. Lava rock is hard,jagged,sharp, jolting, hmmm what other adjectives can get my point accross....oh sporadic! My group was in Iceland to complete a 7 day trek in the highlands and we managed to 'sneak' in this tour right before we left so we had our sturdy hiking boots on and found the terrain a challenge as far as footing goes. It is well worth it but after walking 45 minutes to the volcano and walking the same 45minutes return to the shuttle stop our feet and calves were tired. I highly reccomend hiking Boots (not just shoes because the ankle support will benefit you) but if you only have shoes make sure they are Hiking shoes with a hard sturdy sole, not just runners/cross trainers. I would suggest not planning any other walking or hiking this day-maybe a nice trip to the Blue Lagoon after would be a treat.

There are port-a-potties at the base of the volcano. The soup/stew is wonderful (has meat though).

The price is a bit daunting, I'm from Canada so with the exchnage it cost me at least $200bucks but in hindsight it was well worth it. What a wonderful unique experience.

Coventry, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“the reason I booked my trip to iceland”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Once I saw this trip was available I had to book a trip to Iceland and I wasn't disappointed. The walk to the volcano adds the the trip, much better than pulling up in a coach, you see lava tubes and general volcanic scenery. The "window cleaner" lift felt safe and added to the sense of adventure. Once inside you just want to take photo after photo. The whole trip is well organised and something that is truly unique.

2 Thank Richard Z
Istanbul, Turkey
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Once in a life time”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I'm very glad that I choose to go on this trip. Iceland was wonderful, and Inside the Volcano tour was the best experience in Iceland. From the hike to the volcano, every minute was to remember. I can not emphasise enough, how good and attending was the tour guides. And they did know what they were doing. After a little while, we were like in a group of very old friends although we were just met.
The volcano itself was also very interesting although I was not very into geology. It was a once in a life time experience.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank G3A
Nowhere
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unique and fascinating adventure”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

If rugged hikes and awe-inspiring sights are your thing, visiting þrihnukagigur is for you. Nowhere else can you be lowered into a volcano of this kind to witness the aftermath of lava where it once flowed. The hike to and from the volcano is exhilarating with a constant, endless picturesque view of Iceland's renowned lava fields.

The guides are perfect for this kind of adventure: very helpful, fun, and knowledgeable.

1 Thank secretrobotron