“Fewer visitors than Mt. Everest”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Inside The Volcano

and up
Inside the Volcano: Small Group Thrihnukagigur Hike and Tour from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Journey towards the centre of the earth. Descend 120 meters into the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Kiruna, Sweden
“Fewer visitors than Mt. Everest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was really an experience of a lifetime!
It was an hour or so walk through a lava field from the hut where the bus stopped and at the time I was there the wind was blowing quite hard and it was raining. Before the trek to the volcano we could change into and borrow rain-protective clothing which was very appreciated and needed. At the foot of the volcano there was a small hut where we got some protective and safety gear for the ride down the small window-cleaning elevator to the bottom of the Volcano. I am afraid of heights and this is something I would normally never dare but after reading about it I decided that this was something I would really regret not doing while in Iceland. And it was sooo worth it!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“a trip inside the Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

The adventure of going inside of an extinct volcano was quite appealing. When I arrived, I was amazed to see that we were "out in the middle of nowhere". It took about 1 hour or so for our group to traverse the lava beds from the roadside shelter to the volcano entrance shelter.

The descent into the volcano was fascinating. Quite honestly, it was a bit nerve-wracking when we got to the pinch-point and the window-washing cart was grinding against the volcano wall. Once we arrived, it was play time. We got approximately 1/2-hour to explore the bowels of the inner Earth, something that very few get to do. The magma chamber presented some spectacular sights. Granted, some areas of the chamber were more spectacular than others. Some of the colors were brilliant and "out of this world" (or in this case, "inside of this world"). There was one portion which seemed to descend into nothingness. That was a bit scary, but intensely cool for climbing.

The entire (bilingual) staff was very versed on all aspects of the volcano; they are a co-op (if memory serves), so they have a stake in keeping the attraction as clean, natural and stunning as possible. The break in the volcano shelter was welcomed since we were caught in a downpour of rain and chilly temperatures during our adventure. The meat soup was delicious, and the hot beverages warmed the body and soul for me. We were even fortunate enough to be able to see and pet the orphaned arctic wolf which the staff was caring for.

While the price was a bit steep for such an attraction in the US (in my opinion), it was definitely something which I will remember forever.

Visited July 2013

1 Thank David S
Liestal, Switzerland
“a must have”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

If you have not been on that trip, you have not seen Island. The trip to the volcano is an adventure itself and getting inside gives you a fantastic and outstanding possibility to experience mother nature form a totally unique point of view. go go go!!!

Visited September 2013

Zurich, Switzerland
“Fascinating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I were not prepared for an almost one hour walk to reach the entrance but is was worth it. Is was astonishing how fast the time passed by. It seemed as if you would enter another timelevel. I would recommend everybody who has the opportunity to do it even when the time passes to fast.

Vienna, Austria
3 attraction reviews
“Unique opportunity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Where else in the world can you visit an empty magma chamber? It's a thrilling experience that leaves you with your mouth open. I certainly recommend it to everyone who comes to Iceland. The only thing I would ask for : give everyone a bit more time at the bottom to enjoy this unique wonder of nature a bit longer. I was a bit apprehensive about the lift to the bottom as I'm not too good at heights. But it's really no problem, the basket doesn't swing.
Wear good shoes as you must walk cross country for about 45 minutes, and don't forget the waterproof.