“Great stay”

Laugabjarg Guesthouse
Ranked #25 of 107 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our flight time changed, meaning we didn't arrive to Laugabjarg until almost 1am- this wasn't a problem for lovely Vala, who had it all sorted for us. We were a little confused as to where to go off the Main Street, but that's possibly because we were tired and delirious...

We stayed on the lower floor, where there were only two other rooms, so it was great to have free access to the kitchen and bathroom down there. It was all really clean and well-kept, and breakfast was basic but good.

I'd happily return!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Unicorngiraffe

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here with two of my friends for four nights and the guesthouse is one of the nicest places I've stayed while travelling. First of all, it's located in a lovely area outside of the main city (you can walk into downtown Reyk within 20 mins along the harbour which is a VERY nice, picturesque walk). It was nice to experience a quieter part of the city, away from the hustle & bustle. The hosts were extremely nice and helpful, even booking our Flybus for us and giving us a lift when the bus people forgot to pick us up!

Our room was huge, airy and clean. There are blinds which shut out most of the light which was pretty useful, although we did also use eye masks (which I would recommend if you are going to Iceland in the summer). Bathrooms are on the ground floor and were also very clean when I used them. The kitchens on the ground floor were also very tidy and clean, lots of cutlery/plates and tea/coffee.

Breakfast was a highlight, lots of food and drink available and plenty of space for people to sit down, as well as lcelandic newspapers which was fun to look through despite not understanding a word of it.

Little tip: Stock up on food from Bonus (the cheapest supermarket in Reykjavik) and pack your own lunches to save money as food is pricy in the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Samia B
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here for one night while visiting Reykjavik.

LOCATION - We only had a map (decided to do this trip GPS-free) and it's location wasn't too hard to find. Few seconds away from the water, and about 5-10 minute drive to all main attractions in Reykjavik such as Old Harbor and the center of the city. Parking free and easily accessible. Right next to a pool, botanical garden and a 24hr grocery store.

STAFF - Nice people. We had to look around to find them when we arrived, but once we did, everything was quick and easy. She showed us around and gave us a city map, explaining all the main attractions.

COMFORT - We had booked an 8 person dorm room but luckily were the only ones in it! Very clean and roomy. Had a large table in the middle so you could read/work on your laptop. Two kitchens, plenty of room to share with other guests. Two bathrooms, clean.

Overall, for the price we had paid (60$CAN for two people), we couldn't ask for more. It was clean and comfortable, and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mariebird
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had a stopover in Iceland and decided to extend it to a few days. My friend found this and we decided to stay there, and we certainly did not regret it. First of all, the staff was really welcoming, I couldn't have asked more. I was 18 years at that time, and I felt as if I had a mom watching over me: calling the bus for us, because it was certainly more simple to book it in Icelandic rather than in English, telling us about the good restaurants and the good place to go out at night, always making sure that we were enjoying ourselves, etc.

Also, the location is pretty good, about 15 minutes walk from the town. You can also rent a bike there, and it must be about 5 minutes from the town in bike. We went out one night, came back in taxi at 6 in morning, and it was about 15 Canadian dollars.

Finally, the beds were very comfortable, I haven't sleep that good in a long time, I guess the jet lag did help, but still, the beds were amazing.

I would definitely recommend it, and if I ever go back to Iceland, which I hope I will, I will stay there again, without a second thought.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Clemence M
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and enjoyed it. Our private room was comfortable, the bathroom was accessible and clean and we had free rein over the use of the kitchen which I felt was also their kitchen. Was a little out of the city centre, a decent walk but do-able. Very much just like staying in a home. Very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Delightful long weekend of 3 nights here. Vala made us really welcome - its like staying in your own home with use of a kitchen or a choice of buffet breakfast. Very convenient for town, bus stops on door step , swimming pool opposite, lovely bistro Laugaa 200m walk ( ask Vala for directions she always has a map about !). Vala cannot be more helpful or friendly and her English is good , making sure you get tours , recommending places to eat , where to shop, find coffee, booking airport bus pick ups. We would not hesitate to return next time. It is only 5 minutes walk to the magnificent view across the harbour looking at majestic mountains and then a stunning 20 mins stroll to centre of town looking at one of the best views in the world as you walk along seawall passing sculptures , new opera house and harbours / shops whilst admiring 3000ft + mountains. We always felt secure, welcome and comfortable

Room Tip: All bathrooms are on lowest floor so ask for room on that level
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahmary572
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had book only 1 night at the guesthouse but had to come back to Reykjavik several times during our stay in Iceland. Each time, we call and were welcomed like no other :) Lovely place, Buses or 20 minutes walk to the center and great terasse! Very good value for Iceland!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends