“Nice and cozy”

Dining options: Breakfast
Kopavogur, Iceland
“Nice and cozy”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Hi - I have been to Bergsson mathus several times. Last weekend with the family for brunch. The brunch is fresh and compiled with good food. The coffee is really black, the bread is sour and tasty. The athmosphere is slow and cosy, playing old jazzy kind of music. This is a place to go for good conversation, good food and to feel good. They also make sandwiches for you if you wish and take away. Bergsson is close to city center, the main lake and easy to find. I will go again, both for family brunch and for lunches.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Collingwood, Canada
“Try the spinach lasagna”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had this for our first lunch in Reykjavik, it's a block away from the Hotel Borg. It was a great lunch spot and clearly a favourite amongst the locals filling it up. We had the spinach lasagna plate, I don't know what all was in it, but it was very fresh, tasty and healthy. For bread (complimentary), 1 soup, 2 lasagna plates and a latte, we paid about $50CDN.

Los Angeles
“great breakfast options”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Breakfast here was included in our hotel stay at the Kvosin. You could pick the breakfast plate or something smaller - everything we tried was solid. They also made us sandwiches for lunch one day. Tasty.

Visited October 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Just lovely”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This was a great breakfast place. We got there around 8.00 and were the only people there when we arrived. Lovely setting and friendly staff.
The only complaint I have is that there were no menus so we didn't know what to order of what we were getting.
Ended up with a breakfast plate which included granola and skyr, boiled egg, cheese, Parma ham, salad, hummus, fruit and lovely lovely bread. You help yourself to butter, jam, honey and peanut butter. I don't particularly like peanut butter but this was the best I have tasted and the jam was really unusual too x

Aurora, Canada
“The best thing I ate in Iceland…was bread”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

If you go nowhere else in Reykjavik, have breakfast at Bergsson Mathús. They are known for their brunch plate (1650 krona), but I wasn’t hungry enough for the full meal so I opted to order bread and cheese (650 krona). I don’t want to raise expectations, but this was without exaggeration the best bread I have ever tasted. This could be related to the fact that I had to wait 10 minutes for my order because the bread was still so hot and fresh from the oven that it could not yet be served. While I typically dislike sour dough, this loaf was something beyond comprehension, a gift to humanity from the flour and yeast gods. The homemade rhubarb-raspberry jam only accentuated an already-delicious experience. Incidentally, Bergsson Mathús also made the best latte of my journey (480 krona). Altogether, this was the best meal I had in Iceland, which is both a tad strange and quite impressive, given that it was a plate of bread.

1 Thank OatmealEnthusiast