“A carnivore's delight”

Price range: US$40 - US$100
Cuisines: Argentinian, Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A five story concrete building that once housed offices on the upper floors and a metalwork company on the ground floor, now is the home of restaurant The Steakhouse on the ground floor, the four floors above are now apartments. The old harbor area of Reykjavik has in the last couple of years, changed in to a real gem where various cuisines, museums and arts and crafts have replaced the metalworks and fisheries. The newest addition is STEIKHÚSIÐ, which simply means „The Steak House”. The name is a deliberately this simple and descriptive, the aim is to be the only steakhouse you think of after the first visit. The heart of Steikhúsið is the coal oven from Mibrasa and the soul is our own way of tendering meat for at least 28 days. Those who seek for something purely Icelandic won’t be disappointed, Steikhúsið also caters to those who want the best of Icelandic lamb and fish.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had eaten in the Steak House before, it is a delightful experience every time. There was some confusion about the content of the entree I chose, which the waiter explained as a printing error. I found it charming.

The entree was great, chicken tender and egg roll; the meat, a robust steak with a great wine sauce was cooked to perfection. The creme brûlée... I loved the creme brûlée. I also had 2 mojitos.

This was my most expensive meal in Reykjavik, I did not care in the least. The food was excellent, the service was exemplary and the atmosphere very relaxed and warm.

For some reason I had to make a reservation but when I entered the restaurant there was plenty of room, although it did fill up almost to capacity during my visit.

Have steak at the steak house, I can only recommend it. It won't be your cheapest meal but you won't regret it. An absolute delight.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We visited as part of a group before boarding ship at the harbour across the road from the restaurant. It was busy with locals and tourists enjoying their meals. English speaking staff very quickly explained the meals and drinks. Wine, as everywhere in Iceland was eyewateringly expensive, but we were on holiday! The starters came quickly and were delicious. We all had very tasty steak based meals, although fish was available too. Deserts were indulgent as usual. Overall a friendly casual restaurant that anyone would enjoy. If we were locals we would use it again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were attracted by the Icelandic menu and decided to give it a go. The food was very good, we tried the puffin and whale menu which totally made an 'experience' to us. We have also ordered a tuna steak which tastes great as well. It's a bit costly but in Iceland standard, it totally worths the money.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed in Reykjavik for a week in April and this restaurant probably provided us with our best meal. The only down was the prices but good restaurants in Reykjavik are costly. Be careful with the drinks here as wine was very expensive. We had a mixed starter, including minky whale which we had never tried before. we then steak and the catch of the day, which were both excellent.
I couldn't fault the food and there was a lovely atmosphere.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The catch of the day was "catfish" - I was a bit dubious, since where I'm from in the Midwest, I don't really love catfish. But this was different and amazing - really hit the spot!