Review Highlights
Stormhike saved the day!

On our last full day in Iceland, the worst storm in 25 years forced cancellation of our RE Golden... read more

Reviewed 12 December 2015
Daniel B
Minneapolis, MN, United States
There's good weather and then there's Stormhike weather

The tour began with a visit to a local rescue station. It is interesting to see what kind of... read more

Reviewed 27 February 2015
PatrikRamsay

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Iceland, being Iceland, has somewhat unpredictable weather. When I woke up one morning to find that all the other tours had been canceled due to high winds and a host of other not so friendly weather conditions, the front desk at KEX Hostel recommended the Stormhike with the advice of "This is new, so tell me how good it is when you get back."

It was outstanding. After showing us the local Search and Rescue station, (which they both volunteer at) Dave and Kommi took four of us out on the frozen tundra of Iceland in winds up to 40 kph with a windchill of -14C. We hiked roughly five kilometers up a collapsed lava tube to the caldera of a small eruption. On our way back took shelter in a cave and snacked on delicious Icelandic sandwiches and hot chocolate.

The guides were great, answered any questions we asked, made sure we did everything safely and were always full of humor. I would completely recommend this tour. The day afterward the full storm hit and it snowed about half a meter and I found myself wondering, "should i go on the stormhike again?" That's how fun it was.

1  Thank Douglas W
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This tour is amazing, you walk in the middle of an outstanding landscape surrounding by snow and ice lake. You visit the rescue team of Iceland and then you enjoy an hike in a scorie field.
This excursion make my stay in Iceland a fun and memorable one, and the guide offers you an hot chocolate with cookies in a snow hole before getting back to the car (one of my Top 5 hot choco).
This is the only tour that goes out on bad weather in Reykjavik.
Don't be sad if others tours are cancelled, don't hesitate to book for it if the weather is bad.

1  Thank loiclebrun1
Reviewed 11 March 2013

On one of my many rainy days in Reykjavik, I booked the Stormhike. You will be picked up from your hotel/hostel and join a small group of people to decide on one of many locations within an hour of Reykjavik. I can't recall the name of the hike we did, but it was a great hike to the top of a hill. Along the way, we enjoyed hearing some local stories from our excellent tour guide. The view from the top was astounding and made the entire trip worth it. We then enjoyed some hot cocoa and sandwiches inside a cave used 200 years ago for sheep farming. Overall, a wonderful experience.

1  Thank Casey P