Review Highlights
There's good weather and then there's Stormhike weather

Reviewed 27 February 2015
PatrikRamsay
Dont let the weather kill the fun in Reykjavik

Reviewed 27 November 2013
BrianCowanUK
Preston, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 February 2015

The tour began with a visit to a local rescue station. It is interesting to see what kind of equipment they use in their work and makes you respect what these volunteers are doing with their spare time and money. After that we drove near Búrfell volcano and proceeded with the hike. At first the weather looked pathetic, meaning not stormy enough. On the way back we we're certainly not disappointed. We we're guided by David, who inspires trust in keeping you safe, and also had a lot of funny jokes and stories to tell along the way. Besides beautiful untouched lava field we saw stony ruins, kept our break with hot chocolate and cookies in a cave and jumped off a cliff into snow. Our guide told us that Stormhike duration can be adjusted by the attendants (meaning how well everyone are dressed and what is their endurance level). Highly recommended when you are full of energy and every other tour is cancelled because of "bad" weather.

Date of experience: February 2015
Reviewed 27 November 2013

While most of the tourist advice shops in Reykjavik were saying all trips are off, we were lucky to drop in on Iceland Expeditions who introduced us to the Storm Hike. Starting with a visit to the Reykjavik Search and Rescue centre we got to learn about this volunteer service and see some of their toys. Then it was off to Heidmork and a walk across the lava fields in 50mph winds to to the top of the Burfell extinct volcano. During the walk we were educated and entertained our guide, the intellectual and witty David Sigurthorsson - worth the money in itself. At the volcano top, the challenge of trying not to get blown into the crater as the wind speeds increased significantly was awesome fun. On the walk back we were treated to hot chocolate and biscuits in a cave and breath-taking scenery. This trip is highly recommended but beware of imitations as other providers attempt to copy it.

Date of experience: November 2013
Reviewed 19 November 2013

After disappointment at several booking offices, we found one offering "Stormhike". Our alternative option was to spend the day bored in the city, so we booked onto the tour and it was dang well worth it! We visited "Búrfell" volcanic crater in "Heiðmörk", and the view was really breathtaking.

The tour guide (David) was very entertaining and knowledgeable, the hike itself was full of beautiful scenery (for my photography) in addition to REALLY strong winds - fun!! With the 90mph wind in our faces, we managed some cheesy "Smooth Criminal" leans over the edge of a volcanic crater!

I've heard that some other operators are doing cheap rip-offs of this tour now, so I'd seriously recommend you make sure it's the real "Stormhike" you book onto to avoid disappointment (think it was with Icelandic Expeditions?)

Next time I'm in Iceland, I'll be booking onto their other hike at some point - I think it was titled "lava tubes".

Half way through our hike, we entered a cave to get out of the wind, and our tour guide pulled out a Thermos full of hot chocolate to share - in addition to his great sense of humour.

Date of experience: November 2013
1  Thank Mark_Kuckian
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Iceland, being Iceland, has somewhat unpredictable weather. When I woke up one morning to find that all the other tours had been canceled due to high winds and a host of other not so friendly weather conditions, the front desk at KEX Hostel recommended the Stormhike with the advice of "This is new, so tell me how good it is when you get back."

It was outstanding. After showing us the local Search and Rescue station, (which they both volunteer at) Dave and Kommi took four of us out on the frozen tundra of Iceland in winds up to 40 kph with a windchill of -14C. We hiked roughly five kilometers up a collapsed lava tube to the caldera of a small eruption. On our way back took shelter in a cave and snacked on delicious Icelandic sandwiches and hot chocolate.

The guides were great, answered any questions we asked, made sure we did everything safely and were always full of humor. I would completely recommend this tour. The day afterward the full storm hit and it snowed about half a meter and I found myself wondering, "should i go on the stormhike again?" That's how fun it was.

Date of experience: March 2013
1  Thank Douglas W
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This tour is amazing, you walk in the middle of an outstanding landscape surrounding by snow and ice lake. You visit the rescue team of Iceland and then you enjoy an hike in a scorie field.
This excursion make my stay in Iceland a fun and memorable one, and the guide offers you an hot chocolate with cookies in a snow hole before getting back to the car (one of my Top 5 hot choco).
This is the only tour that goes out on bad weather in Reykjavik.
Don't be sad if others tours are cancelled, don't hesitate to book for it if the weather is bad.

Date of experience: March 2013