“Hlemmur hotel room (not hostel) - Excellent Experience”
Review of Hlemmur Square

Hlemmur Square
Boston
“Hlemmur hotel room (not hostel) - Excellent Experience”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were looking for nice hotel close to downtown Reykjavik shops and restaurants. Originally our travel agent recommended 2 other hotels - one a chain and another well-rated. I didn't like the location of either as both were about 15-20 minute walk to "stuff". I loved that I could walk right out the door of Hlemmur and have shops and restaurants at my fingertips. In my opinion, it was the perfect location and the price was more reasonable than the other hotels we looked at. We stayed on the 5th floor with a huge balcony overlooking a residential neighborhood and the ocean (opposite side from city). Views were beautiful and my husband was thrilled as he loves balconies. Half of our room was glass since we were in a corner room. The furnishings were very hip/contemporary - fun chandelier and seating area, super comfy bed with duvet and large bathroom with awesome rainhead shower. The Hlemmur has only been open for about a year, so everything was nice and new. The hotel/hostel delivered the concept/vibe it set out to on it's website - " ...youthful and vibrant atmosphere of the communal spaces. The lobby, restaurant and playroom for both children and adults are all designed for socializing in relaxed style. Live music in the lobby adds to the festive feel of the property." We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found the front desk staff and bar staff extremely friendly and helpful. The guests staying in the hostel said it was the nicest hostel they'd ever seen, with common lounges and cooking areas. Everyone seemed very happy there.

Room Tip: Corner room with balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank gtfamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I chose to stay at this hostel due to high ratings on this website and hostelbookers, and its availability at the time I wished to stay (the other option was KEX). For Reykjavik it was very affordable, 19000 kr for four sharing a dorm room. We were greeted with friendly faces when we arrived in the stylish and clean lobby-cum-bar. Although there had been a slight misunderstanding with the room (one of our group was going to be placed in a different dorm) it was quickly sorted out by the receptionist - Marcus - who was also very helpful when some of our room keys didn't work. A different pair of receptionists were also very helpful when we asked for recommendations of pubs and restaurants, giving us a map and marking down a number of places.
The dorm was very tidy and quite large, although the bunk beds are unusually high. Good blackout curtains which come in handy in the summer months when the midnight sun can really disrupt your sleep. We didn't get a chance to use them but I believe there was also a common room and the bar downstairs looked very nice. The showers are also abundant and clean. The only downside was the kitchen which was quite untidy in the evening, and was internal so was very warm, although it was cleaned in the morning. The location is very central, on the main street but a little out of the main section which reduced disturbance.
Long story short, I would highly recommend this place, our experience with the kitchen was the only thing that reduced it to 4 stars.

Room Tip: Be aware that selecting 4 beds in a 4 bed dorm (for example) may not actually guarantee that you are...
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Hlemmur square came to the rescue when previous accommodations didn't work out. They had room for us last minute and our stay was wonderful. The beds are super comfortable, the staff extremely friendly (ESP. Marcus on bar - :) ) and the facilities clean and very well maintained. The ONLY issue I had was that beds are not labelled or assigned, and thus there was some confusion in our ten-person dorm about whose bed belonged to who. I came in late one night to find someone sleeping in my claimed bed! However the front desk was very accommodating and re-routed me to another room for the night. Overall a great experience.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was trying to decide between Hlemmur Square and KEX Hostel, and I ended up staying at Hlemmur for 3 nights and KEX for 1 because of an availability issue. I booked a double hostel room for my brother and I. I thought it had a shared bathroom, but it ended up having its own. Even the shared bathroom was clean. Much cleaner and more maintained than KEX for about 10-15 dollars cheaper per night.

The great thing about this place is that it is a hotel and hostel, offering you options based on your budget. This gives you the pleasant facilities and staff of a hotel even though you may be staying in a hostel room. The staff is really friendly. The airline lost our bags and the staff basically stopped what they were doing to help us call the airport and get it taken care of. There was a guy named Matt that stayed after his shift to try to help us. The front desk also booked dinner reservations for us, etc.

The location is great. It is at the end of the main drag in Reykjavik, so it's actually a natural starting off point for your weekend pub crawl. I cannot recommend this place enough. The only negative is that they don't offer breakfast.

2 Thank cardboardcena
Lapua, Finland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed in 10 bed dorm and the room`s were big and clean,the season waesn`t started yet so there was only three other people in the room and two night´s i were the only one in the room.Overall kitchen and bathroom were clean, staff was helpfull and nice.The bar down stair`s was great after a long day in a tour or in the city.They have a good selection of local and imported beers,Heida was doing a great job behind the counter,filling up classes and talking to people,there was also a live music in the bar on Thursday`s.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hark0r
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed in a 12-bed mixed dorm in late April 2014. The room had only a maximum of 5 guests (including myself) during my entire stay.

Room: It is very spacious for a 12-bed dorm. Unlike other hostels I've been to before, there is never a need to squeeze and it isn't cramped at all. There is a large sofa, a writing desk and chairs in the room too. At each bed, there is a power socket, bed light, and locker. The room is equipped with a blue night light (that stays on throughout the day too). Rooms are very clean and beds are made daily.

Location: I cannot say whether the location is good or not relative to other hotels because I travelled mostly by a tour pick-up bus. However, just next to the hotel there is a 24/7 supermarket which made it very convenient for us to get food anytime we wanted to.

Facilities: There is a lounge, kitchen, bar, luggage storage (manned), shared bathrooms, and 24h reception. The kitchen is very big and equipped, as compared to other hostel kitchens I have seen, theirs is considered to be very good. There are female and male bathrooms as the 12-bed rooms do not have an ensuite. The bathrooms have about 8 private shower cubicles so there wasn't really a need for me to wait to have a shower. Toilets are separate but likewise have plenty of cubicles. Both toilets and bathrooms are kept very clean, and shower gel and shampoo are provided in the cubicle.

Staff: All staff members are very friendly and willing to help make your stay in Iceland an enjoyable one. They can provide suggestions on what to do and which tour companies to go for. There are many pamphlets on tours available at the counter too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cxsmic
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stopped off in Reykjavik as part of honeymoon, Hlemmur sq got it off to great start! Room very modern, clean and comfortable. A family member phoned ahead of us arriving...staff were very welcoming and treated us with some prosecco on arrival! Would definitely recommend staying here again. We had a room with terrace, it had great views of surrounding Reykjavik.

Thank Hlemmur sq for a lovely time.

Room Tip: Room with terrace has nice views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple