“A Good Hostel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hlemmur Square
London, United Kingdom
“A Good Hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I arrived from Anchorage at 07.00am and the staff were helpful but I could not get access to my dormitory until 3.00pm A little tiring. Very good location and the bar staff Haidi and Marcus were excellent.
My tours and buses were booked and handled well Iceland air offered me a 7 night stop over and I took 4 nights.

Room Tip: It is a cheap and cheerful hostel in an interesting part of the world
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the Hlemmur Square hostel on a solo trip to Iceland for a few days before heading to America. I'm very pleased that I chose this place. I arrived off the bus from the airport right outside the hostel. The facilities were lovely, the beds were comfortable and had nice sheets. Thank goodness the curtains were black-out. I slept well here every night of my trip. The location is ideal, just a short walk from the main shops/ bars and restaurants. I'd be very quick to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reinach, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

"Economy Room" was a small lumber-room. In the middle of the night someone suddenly opened our room (double room!). We hope it was, at least, someone from the hotel staff... Not worth the money, only good thing is the location.

1 Thank Moritz B
Klaus O, General Manager at Hlemmur Square, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hi Moritz,

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our property. The economy room is a part of our hostel and it's a very barebones room that's meant to be mainly for backpackers to give guests a nice and private affordable option in a very expensive city.

You should check out our hotel rooms next time, they are extremely beautiful and come with all the luxuries of a 4 star hotel, I'm sure you'd enjoy them.

I will consult with the security footage to see if anybody opened you room and will give them a stern talking to if that's the case. It's impossible for any of the other guests to open a private room. Thank you for letting me know.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The lady who checked me in was miserable, and made a bunch of mistakes which effected my trip. I was only there for 3 days so it made things quite frustrating. The hostel itself tho was great, the rooms are nice and kitchen on every floor so it's never too busy.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lisa D
Hi Lisa,

I'm very sorry that we didn't live up to our standards and couldn't help you fully enjoy your three day stay in Iceland. Every person has their good days and their bad days and I have spoken to the lady who checked you in and apparently she wasn't feeling too well that day. It's not an excuse, I'm just sorry it negatively affected your stay and wanted to give you an explanation.

Thank you so much for the positive comment about the hostel itself, I'm really glad you liked it!

If you decide to stop by Iceland again let me know and I will take care of you myself.

Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at this place for one night only. Just a small problem with parking but everything else was just great. Everything was clean, kitchen was well equipped and we also have common room on our floor. Excellent choice for Reykjavik! I would recommend this place to everyone else.

Thanks Babkajaga,
we're still very new, but we only strive for the best and always keep improving. I'm extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay, it's always so nice to read things like this.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

This hostel is the cleanest, nicest hostel I have ever stayed in especially how low the cost is as well. The staff are extremely helpful especially being a solo female in Iceland for the first time. Would recommend and definitely would come back again

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hi Brenna,

thank you so much for taking the time and writing this review. It's always a joy reading reviews like this one, and knowing that we made somebody's stay enjoyable.

Thank you for being an awesome guest!

Bilbao, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The staff there is always super nice, they are very helpful both with the boarding passes of the plane and the flybus. The place is very well equipped, clean bedrooms and bathrooms and the location is very good. The relation price quality is perfect

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Ireglax,

thank you so much, this is exactly what we are trying to achieve and it's amazing to read the reactions when it works out and we can make a guest's stay enjoyable.

Make sure to come back, we'll be happy to see you here!