“Comfortable Boutique Hotel in Downtown Reykjavik”

Kvosin Downtown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 13 October 2013

It was really nice to stay at the Kvosin, a small boutique hotel that may be best described as the opposite of institutional. Our room was large and comfortable, which was great to come back to after the daily touring in Iceland. The location was perfect; everything is in easy walking distance, including Reykjavik's best restaurants. The staff was friendly and helped us with arrangements. It was all very informal. We appreciated the free breakfast, although the fixed menu got repetitive after a few days. This hotel does not have institutional hotel type service, which was just what we wanted. The reviewers who criticized the hotel for this reason should stay elsewhere; it's not for them. Travelers must be aware of one thing-the Kvosin is not easy to find. Maps indicate it is on the central square, but in fact it is on an adjacent street behind the church. Since the hotel is new, people on the street don't know it and can't help you find it.

Room Tip: Best to face north on the second or third floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Inga_Audbjorg, Front Office Manager at Kvosin Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Stephen. We have now been in operation for almost 6 months so people are starting to know where we are situated. You are right; we do strive to be informal, personal and authentic in our advice and service. I hope you’ll consider staying with us on the next occasion you find yourself on this tiny island we call home!

With warmest wishes,

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have had a great stay at this hotel, just downtown and next to the only real wine bar of the whole country! Comfort is extraordinary. I have taken part to a few excursions "into the wild" with my family and after such dense days there was nothing better than returning back and enjoy the comfort and central location. A great way to save up time, since you do not need to plan to go anywhere: the hotel is ten seconds from the parliament itself and basically from anything.
The friendly and young men at the desk gave us tips on restaurants and improvised anything at any time of the day to rapidly organize tours around Reykjavik and in the Eastern region.
The rooms did not have any phones, but we were offered a mobile for free.
Breakfast was excellent, although repetitive.
The hotel is luxurious, but the atmosphere never pompous, but rather family-like. Somewhat an unusual but definitely positive experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Hi there Johannes,
Thank you very much for the feedback. I am very glad that our service concept came through as we are here to make the stay as friendly and relaxed as possible. As we often say we want to be our guest’s home away from home.

With greetings from Iceland,

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I'm definitely torn on writing this review, because the hotel deserves a 5 for location alone. However the service was poor--1 or 2 rating poor--so I would say, "Caveat emptor."

Starting with the positives: the location was superb. Yes, on a weekend night it could be a bit noisy, but that's what comes in staying right in the middle of the action. The hotel is walking distance to everywhere (well, almost). Restaurants, museums, the Harpa, the shopping area were all in easy reach. A taxi stand stood right around the corner. Perfect.

We stayed in one of the family rooms, which was great for our family of four. The kids had their own sleeping space and there was a small living room area where we could all relax at the end of the day.

The beds were particularly comfy and the big fluffy blankets were great to snuggle under on a chilly night.

Now for the negatives:
I had e-mailed ahead of time that we would be arriving around midnight and asking if it would be a problem. I received an e-mail back assuring me the front desk is open 24 hours. However, when we showed up at the hotel, no one was there and the door was locked. Our van driver was concerned to leave us, so he stayed to help. We knocked on the door. We looked around. A wine bar is next to the hotel, but it was closed, but soon the owner, who was sitting there, took pity on us and came out. "Don't you have a code to get in?" he asked. Well, no because we hadn't checked in yet. He told us the front desk person must be in the bathroom, so the van driver left and we waited. The bar owner didn't have the front door code. Finally the owner went looking around and found the front desk person working on his bike in the back. My kids were exhausted by this time, but after 20 minutes, we made it up to our room.

There is really no one to ask for assistance or guidance. This is billed as a B&B but it's not quite B&B--no charming owner to help you sort yourself in town--but it's not a hotel either--no front desk staff who offers to help you make arrangements.

The layout of the room was a little odd. The toilet was right by the front door, but the shower attached directly to one of the bedrooms in such a way that it was almost impossible to not get the floor wet. There are no drawers anywhere except the kitchen, and no shelves in one of the bedrooms. A handful of hangers let us hang up jackets, but nothing else. We ended up living out of our suitcases, which I don't love. One of the beds didn't have a bedside lamp, so reading a night was a pain.

The room has a Nespresso maker, and two pods and a few tea bags are in the room for you. Yet these are not replenished. Once you use them, they're gone unless you want to go out and buy yourself some more Nespresso pods. And no sponges or dish soap is provided in the room, which would be fine, except that housekeeping doesn't wash dishes. So the same dirty cups sat there the entire week we were in town.

The breakfast is good, although a few mornings they were painfully slow. The same breakfast every morning was definitely tiresome, so by the end, we simply went out for our own meal. At the least the server in the restaurant was quite nice.

If you need a spacious room in a great location, then this is for you. If you are looking for a bit of service or help, this is definitely not the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jbrown68

Hi JBrown,
Thank you very much for your honest review. I am very happy that you enjoyed the superb location and the spacious room. Your points for improvement are tremendously valuable to us. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience during your check in and let me assure you that this issue will not come up again. We were mispresented at Tripadvisor during our first months we are now listed correctly as a hotel. I regret you were not able to get assistance from our staff members which are usually very helpful as per the other comments here. Thanks to the comments from you (and other guests) we have also addressed the other issues you mentioned e.g. added a bottle of dishwashing liquid and a brush into every room.
Again, thank you for the feedback which has helped us enormously in improving on our service and facilities.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My room (102) was nice: good cooking/dinning aisle with all the necessary kitchen appliances and coffee machine, small bedroom section but with a comfortable bed, black and white bathroom.

Friendly and efficient reception making swiftly all necessary arrangements ( taxi, contacts with tour operators etc ). Close to the central street and Islandic Excursions, nice wine bar next to the hotel entrance. Free WiFi. Very efficient no key system, where you open your door with a code.

I stayed only 1 night however i would like to emphasize some areas for enhancement:

- no phone in the rooms. When I needed help by the reception at 1:20 AM - noisy visitors preventing me from sleeping ( beware of Saturday nights in Reykjavik!) right in front of my door - I realized that there is no way to call reception. I sent an e-mail hoping it will be seen. And it was. Within 3 minutes I got the confirmation that my problem will be looked into and 5 minutes later the problem was solved. Apparently, as I learnt the next morning, mobile phones are available at the reception.

- no wardrobe. There are 2 shelves and some hangers. If you plan to stay for a few nights and unpack, check if adequate rooms are available.

- breakfast. Included in price but too small. The breakfast served in a simple place in the same block across the courtyard was very delicious, but it consisted of loaf of bread, 2 small slices of cheese and ham, one soft boiled egg, few slices of fruits, juice and coffee: simply insufficient. Marmalade was not available and for croissants with chocolate I had to pay extra.

- wine bar. Next to the hotel; advantage or disadvantage?

Avoid Room 102 as it is on the ground floor, entrance from the courtyard. Other than no view at all, anybody can access this area from the street. If you want to get to the reception you need to go out.

This hotel was expensive: If I had been on the upper floor with a view, a phone and an appropriate breakfast, it would have been acceptable.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

I know that the line “Thank you for taking the time to write this review, -we value your feedback” is a clishé, but in our case it’s really true. Due to your honest comments we’ve had the chance to make some changes that hopefully address these issues.

There will soon be a phone in every room. As you say, there are only 2 shelves and some hangers but it is now possible to receive stands for the luggage. We have updated our breakfast to address both the quantity and variety issue. Room 102 is listed on our site as Lively as it is on the ground floor. We have now had the entrance out to the courtyard from the Winebar closed off for visitors, which should reduce any disruption from wine aficionados .

Again I am so happy you took the time to write the review and thereby helped us in improving our hotel.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

The Kvosin Downtown Hotel is right in the middle of a picturesque street in Reyjkavik, within walking distance of dozens of restaurants, stores, the bus station, the old harbor, parks, the lake, a small grocery store, and even the National Museum. For convenience, I would give it 5 stars. However, its central location (right on top of a wine bar) also makes it kind of noisy on Friday and Saturday nights when people are out late. Not a huge problem, but something to keep in mind if you have an early morning planned.
Our room had a very spacious common area, small bedrooms, small bathroom, but was clean, bright, and functional.
Otherwise, the only other downside is that the breakfast that the hotel provides as part of the room (served at a small café right around the corner) is the same EVERY day. Ham, cheese, fruit, tomato slice, orange juice, boiled egg. After 5 days of the same, we just went somewhere else on our own dime.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nozetta

Hi there Nozetta,
Thank you for your feedback and after reviewing it we have actually made some alterations to our breakfast. Yes, we still have a breakfast plate which consists of freshly baked sourdough bread, serrano ham, cheese, fruit and OJ. But we now offer the choice between 7 items to add to this among them are a delicious chia porridge, greek youghurt with muesli, scrambled eggs etc. But in any case, if this was the only downside, it seems you did enjoy your stay very much, and for that I’m delighted!
With warm wishes,

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Beautifully appointed suite (called VON) flooded with light, very comfortable bed, kitchen with a Nespresso machine! large screen TV, outdoor space. It is in what is arguably the best location.
It is a short walk to many of the best restaurants, like the Fish Market and the Grille Market. It is just a few blocks to the main shopping street as well.
The Kvosin is opposite a charming church so it is very quiet, that matters when some nights one goes to sleep prior to sunset.
Great desk staff all young and trying very hard to answer all the tourist's questions, which I think can be demanding, I heard one woman ask where her daughter might go to practice soccer....,I especially liked Yogi, short, for his name which was unpronounceable to me in what is rumored to be one of the three (3) hardest languages to learn. The later is no worry as everyone, and I mean everyone speaks English. Yogi, always found us just what we were looking for. The only problem we encountered was with the housekeeping staff, all nice, but, on a couple of occasions our room was not done until quite late in the day....The Kvosin is only open two months so one needs to give a bit of latitude.
It is not inexpensive, but little is in Reykjavic, it is well worth it, so much to see and to do we took road trips almost every day.

Room Tip: We only saw the one we stayed in but I am sure the Website is helpful
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for great feedback. It is true that we had some growing pains in the first couple of months but we are glad to announce that these slight issues have all been addressed at this point.

Yogi’s real name is actually “Jökull” wich means glacier in Icelandic, which is somewhat fitting to the boy, as he sure is cool (but with the warmest heart!). He was with us this past summer and he is a true star. He’s no longer working in our lobby but you might find him working at the restaurant on occasions. If you want to try to pronounce his name, try this: Yeuh-kudl. Anyway, enough about glaciers. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay! See you soon, I hope!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

New and modern in an old atmosphere! Service minded staff, clean, cosy, beautiful, comfortable, very good taste when it comes to design. Perfect situated in town center but still in peaceful and beautiful part of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

There is just one word for this, Anna: TAKK ! (Thank you)