“Wanted to score it higher”

Kvosin Downtown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Some great points to this hotel but was ultimately disappointed. The location is excellent- very central. Also extremely stylish and well decorated/stocked. The bed was good and the receptionist on the final morning really helpful.

However just fell down on too many points. We had room 102 - ground floor and opens onto noisy courtyard and no decent view. Admittedly was a Saturday night but really poor nights sleep as the room heated so much (despite radiators off and windows open) and lots of noisy people near the room through the night. The receptionist on the first day seemed a bit clueless.

Shame. I can imagine giving this place a 5 on a different visit bit this is the experience we got.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aer197
Inga_Audbjorg, Front Office Manager at Kvosin Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear AER!

I'm sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations. I hope we'll manage to dazzle you, next time round!

I'll look into the heating. It seems strange, as the weather is certainly not very warm these days. We closed the door from the wine bar off a couple of months ago, so that the noise would be reduced in front of rooms 101 and 102, and I hope it won't happen again, -I'll alert the Wine Bar staff about this.

Hope you'll give us a second chance, and I thank you for giving us these tips, -as we only strive to improve!

Greetings,
Inga Auðbjörg from Team Kvosin.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We - a family of four- are just back from a great stay at Kvosin Downtown Hotel. It is very centrally located and just a short walk to the main shopping and dining streets. As others have noted, many tours/drivers were not familiar with it so I always kept the address in my purse. We had a third floor room with a pullout couch for the kids and a separate bedroom area for the grownups. As a home stager and re-designer, I couldn't help but appreciate its current, on trend styling. The space functioned well although I would say that some additional clothing storage space would have been really useful (perhaps where the long bench is). The wall mounted TV is right outside the shower and unfortunately the perfect height for a kid to hit their head on as they come out from the shower which was the case for my daughter.

US flights arrive too early for check in but Hiroko was so kind and got us into a temporary room where we could nap until our room was ready. We really appreciated that!

Front dest staff varied a bit. All were very helpful and most were very friendly although one rolled her eyes when I twice needed help and she had to end her cell phone call. Clearly I was interrupting.

TERRIFIC breakfast, probably the best I ever had in a hotel. It had some items which were standard daily and some items we could choose - pastries, wonderful homemade bread, eggs, cheese, meat, veg, fruit, etc. I miss that breakfast already....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lari-girl

Dear Iari-girl!

I'm glad that you seem to have enjoyed your stay for the most part. I'm also happy that you enjoyed the style of our rooms, we put an effort into making it have a trendy look and feel. On the storage space; we are happy to provide luggage racks upon request!

I'm so sorry that your daughter hit her head! That is truly unfortunate! I guess that your daughter is a bit shorter than our designer, -these things are tricky to foresee.

Hope to see you again!
Team Kvosin

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is an excellent hotel very close to the centre, parliament and docks, so perfectly placed. Rooms are very well appointed, recently refurbished so was very comfortable. Espresso maker, fridge, and cutlery in each rooms is a nice touch and the showers were perfect.

We had the 'Tiny' room which while small, was still fine for 2 of us with a bit suitcase.

Its part of a partnership with the best bar, deli and bakery in town so combined, this works really well. Breakfast was really good (bread was awesome!) and the bar was were locals hang-out so that tells you something.

Only negative was that the rooms could get quite hot (thanks to all that carbon-free geothermal energy they have) and opening the window could get quite breezy and noisy at night.

Aside from that, I'm struggling to fault it. We'll be back and will make sure we stay at the Kvosin.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a lively part of town so a back facing room will be quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul D
Inga_Audbjorg, Front Office Manager at Kvosin Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Paul!

Thank you for the excellent review. Be sure to let us know if you have problems with the heating when you stay with us next time, we'd be happy to help! But you're right, -the energy is in abundance so we tend to turn things up a bit!

The Wine Bar is a true local favorite, which I'm glad you appreciate. It's most fun when you mix locals with travelers!

Hope to see you soon!
Kvosin Team

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Hotel Kvosin first wowed me with its gorgeously straightforward web layout and the hilarious copy. Like the website, it's clean, direct, charming,quirky and warm. Sure, it's in a great location, but what it brings in terms of comfort is perfection. The breakfast at Bergsson Mathús is hearty and heavenly. We met oddfellows and drunk poets (or drunk something) at Vínbarinn next door, where the manager is a gracious host. On our last few days we got to chat with Inga a bit and she is knowledgeble and has a fantastic sense of humor.
I truly cannot wait to go back to Iceland to see a bit more of the country, but to ingratiate myself to those at Kvosin.
Little tip: You don't pronounce the "V" Kvosin--"Kv" in Kvosin sounds like "Qu" in Quarter. Look, now you are an insider and bus drivers will speak to you in Icelandic! You can thank me later.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank francoisehardly13

Woah, hold your horses, -that is one nice review!

Thank you so much! It was excellent having you over and I'm happy that you liked it so much! We do strive for perfection and sometimes we manage!

I'm sure fellow tripadvisors will appreciate the pronounciation tip. Icelandic is a bit tricky. But yes, Kv is a bit more like Qu. And the "o" is like the o in "on", not in "oh". Things like that. Also nice worlds to know are words like "fiðrildi" (butterfly - fih -thrill -dih) and "sykurpúði" (marshmallow - sikuhr-poo-thi). You can master that before your next trip, which I sure hope is soon!

See you around,
Inga and the Kvosin Team

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in late October 2013. We had a studio apartment-style room on the top deck. The rooms are all thermo heated and are extremely warm and comfortable. That particular room-type is the perfect size to spread out, cook and just relax. The staff is AMAZING. Inga, Jackie and Hiroko are top notch hosts who will go out of their way to help with anything you need at any time of day or night. They are pleasant, knowledgeable and will treat you like an old friend with lots of smiles. The hotel has a wonderful breakfast area and the staff will make up a yummy plate for you with plenty of food on it. It was a wonderful way to begin every day. It is also a hot spot for nightlife.The hotel is near everything, like great sights, beautiful towns and fantastic restaurants. The people in Reykjavik in general, are friendly and happy. Kvosin Hotel is worth every cent and we look forward to staying there again one summer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dee K

Dear Donna!

I think I speak on behalf of all the staff when I say; ours was the pleasure! We loved having you over and encourage you to book a ticket for Iceland this summer (it's totally different in summer time, -we promise),

Thank you for you kind words, and above all, thank you for staying with us!

See you soon!
Inga and the Kvosin Team

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here as a family of five. Room was prefect, well equipped. Shower was lovely. It was centrally located, close to the centre and just next to the City Hall and lake. Staff were extremely helpful from lending us an iphone charger for the length of our stay to Igna making my daughter a card for her birthday. Nothing seemed to be any bother to them.

As others have mentioned the hotel is just above a wine bar which can get noisy at the weekends. Bars are open late in Reykjavik so worth bearing this in mind.

Breakfast was fine, you get the same platter each day but can vary the bits and pieces you add to it so its not too repetitive. Teas and coffees are plentiful and yes do try the smoothie.

Many, many thanks to all the staff......wonderful weekend in Iceland

Room Tip: Can be a little noisy at the weekend, try and choose a room to the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank clairecglasgow

Dear Claire!

Thank you for your kind words! It was great to have you guys staying with us, we always enjoy guests who are up for a chat!

I'm glad your daughter like the card. My pleasure!

With best wishes from cold, old Iceland!
Inga from the Kvosin Team

Reviewed 20 January 2014

If you're looking for a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in the dead center of everything, Kvosin is for you! Not only is the hotel itself very nice - with fully equipped and beautiful rooms, big showers, and comfortable beds - but the complementary breakfast is quite frankly the best I've ever received at a hotel. Try the green smoothie! It's fabulous.

In addition to being an awesome hotel, Kovsin is located in the literal center of everything. While staying there, my traveling companion and I were able to enjoy downtown Reykjavik for dinner and drinks and then be back in our rooms with virtually no effort! The major sights and attractions are also walking distance, as are the departure points for many of the biggest and best tours.

Essentially: great hotel, great breakfast, great location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank mamannin

Dear Mamannin

Wow, I'm sure glad you loved the breakfast! We're particularly happy with the fresh sourdough bread and the homemade hummus. It's just so fresh!

Be very sure to come back, maybe in the summer, this time?

Greetings,