“One of the best meals I've had anywhere!”

Old Iceland Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 568 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant with Icelandic home cooking. Our specialty is on seafood and Icelandic lamb. We also offer a choice of three or a five course set menu OPENING HOURS: Lunch: 11:30 - 16:15, Dinner: 17:00 - 22:00
Reviewed 27 June 2018

This is one of the best meals I've ever had. As a chef traveling I always like to try and eat as local as possible and in my research before I came to Reykjavik I found this restaurant. Its very easy to find as its on the main shopping road of the city and 10-15 minutes away from the main square and cathedral. My wife and I sat down for dinner and we were amazed by every element of this restaurant. Our server Louise help us navigate the menu and helped us pick drink pairings to accompany of meals. They try very had to us as much local products available to them. It is a bit more on the expensive side but it is a must go for anybody looking to enjoy Icelandic cuisine.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,091)

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This restaurant was within walking distance from our Storm Hotel and was recommended by the hotel; it was a great spot; it is a bit cramped; tables VERY close to one another but that was no problem for us. We each had the fish of the day which was served with a variety of vegetables. It was a nice size and really delicious. The wait staff was attentive if hurried as they are VERY busy. We would go back again and highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We just wandered in off the street around 6.45pm without a reservation and were easily seated. We had the fish of the day (golden red fish) and the fillet of lamb. It was soooooo good! Whilst a little pricey (you are in Iceland after all) it was so worth it. I don't know how we're going to top this restaurant tomorrow! And the wait staff were super friendly. I would highly recommend a meal at the Old Iceland Restaurant.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Splendid food. All dusjes had very ood presentasjon and excellent taste. We had s three course meny. Cod as the main course. Perfect prepared. Very Good icelandic meal.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

This is a busy restaurant and you can't book a table after 6 pm. So there's a good chance you'll have to wait half an hour or so before a table's ready. So I'd recommend turning up half an hour before you want to eat, leave your name and go off for a drink before returning at your allotted time.
We loved the shellfish soup as well as the fish of the day (wolf fish on this occasion) and the cod, but I think all the fish would be good here.
The heard-working waitresses did a great job, so it's no surprise this is a busy and highly rated restaurant.