“Great hotel for city trip”

Reykjavik Lights by Keahotels
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Very clean hotel and nice and warm. Good breakfast included. Walk into the city takes about 30 minutes. Only criticism is no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms. Helpful staff on reception who will help book tours and organise transfers etc. Nice pizza restaurant next door for when you just can't face walking any further for a meal!!

1  Thank KirkJegs

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I had the experience of staying here immediately following the Hilton Nordica. I will say that for a business traveler, I don't think this hotel is perfect by any means -- BUT it is good. The bar is cute, the lounge is nice, decent breakfast and good location (not downtown but not far from it either, you can take a cab or walk). The hotel is super clean, with comfortable beds. Good room service.

What I did not like was the lack of business services -- no laundry (this is huge if you are staying here for over a week as I have). No coffee machine in the room, which is downright deplorable to me, you can at LEAST have a water boiler and some instant coffee. The bar downstairs is cute but if you miss happy hour the drinks are way overpriced... they are serving a LOT of Americans (I was sitting around watching people) -- 1400ISK for a drink is nuts, and it is not like they are serving high end wine (even the Brits and others I was with thought so). No iron or ironing board in the room and more importantly no desk space. I have a weird half counter that extends underneath my TV, what is that for exactly? A small computer cannot fit on it. You can't put your legs under it. Why would you literally sit underneath your TV? It's all IKEA furniture, very "budget Scandinavian."

It's trendy, in the young hip backpacker kind of way (I loved the orange suspenders the front desk guys wear, though when I checked in he was kind of rude because I couldn't hear him and he had to repeat himself, frustratedly, 10x to ask for my card. It's not because I'm an ignoramus, it's because it was loud and I could literally not near what he said). I am 29 and I am too old for this place at this time, having come here for a week+ long conference, but if I were coming here on vacation and it was affordable I might stay again. I hated the fact that they didn't have in-room dining or any restaurant on site but there is a decent pizza place next to it, so you are not SOL on food when you are too tired to find a restaurant. Only maybe 5 TV stations too, the rest are radio only, what is up with that? Can I at least watch BBC World, or do I only have to listen to it with a black screen?

Overall this is nice at $100 or so a night, but if you have to pay much more I would say find somewhere else. I am partially spoiled and have higher expectations traveling on business (no iron or coffee machine, come ON) but the hotel is nice and the rooms are rather spacious for Europe. This is Iceland, though, you can expect a bit more space. I would stay here again for a low-frill stay when I was not staying at the hotel for long but again it is missing vital amenities for a business traveler. I think they just put us here to check it out since it is new, and it is nice. Whether or not you enjoy your stay depends on your purpose here in Reykjavik. For what (else) it's worth, breakfast is good, plenty of options, European continental is far better than American continental and they have good bread.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank tyrannosauruswrx
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Our first trip to Iceland and hotel was part of our package. Room and facilities fine for a short stay, and design and layout of public areas good. Although not in the central area,we enjoyed the walk down to the old centre of the town - about 20 to 30 minutes depending on pace and how many places we window shopped on the way! Pleasant and helpful staff. Mainluy used by folks on short breaks from a variety of companies. Be aware that bar purchases cannot be charged to your rooom, but not really an issue since you can use cards for even pretty small amounts at the bar. We would definitely visit again!

1  Thank Menns
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Recently stayed at the Reykjavik Lights Hotel for 3 nights and were completely satisfied with everything. The staff, cleanliness and comfort was excellent and breakfast although the same everyday was very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had a lovely stay here, yes, the rooms are not enormous, but ours was clean and warm. The rain shower was lovely.The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The breakfast is continental and lots of choice.
Unfortunately we didn't get to see the lights, the tour was cancelled twice, but we had an excellent time at the Ishstar lava tour, it was beautiful. Also lots to explore in the town centre, and a 10 minute walk to the pool which is very cheap, and quite an experience swimming in -1 degrees and snow!
We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jam92564
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Very nice, fairly new (I think) hotel. Rooms smallish, but warm, bright, clean. Comfortable bed, big TV, lovely bathroom.
Little far out of city centre (about 20min walk) but not a real problem. Buses and taxis available.
Hotel staff helpful, though it did seem a bit short-staffed at points; queues at checkout etc. But the will book bus-trips and activities, and seem to have lots of information at their disposal.
Breakfast plentiful;- cereals, yoghurt, tea/coffee, juice, ham/cheese, bread etc.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the main road (5th floor) and there was little noise from traffic. Only...
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The staff were very friendly and the customer service was amazing, even when booking excursions. Everything was straightforward. Bed was very comfy, had one of the best nights sleeps after a long time. I would really recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Iceland. Although the location is just outside of the centre (20 mins walk!) transport links are close and taxi service are very prompt.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends