“Like being in la belle France”
Review of Le Bistro

Le Bistro
Ranked #57 of 502 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$17 - US$47
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Le Bistro is a small authentic French bistro and wine bar on Laugavegur, Reykjavik's main shopping street. Serving moderately-priced (for Iceland), classic and contemporary French food along with a great selection of wine and beer. As you step into this casual, lively and bohemic place, the French atmosphere is unavoidable. We serve slow food, with mostly local Icelandic ingredients. This is likely the only the place in the centre with a walk in policy, so you will probably only have to wait a few minutes for a table. Groups of six and more are welcome to book ahead. Bienvenue et bon appetit...
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Really good old fashion authentic French food and even ambiance. I felt I was in France more than what I sometimes feel when I am actually in a restaurant in France!!!!!!!!

Great pot au feu. Wines too expensive to sample but local beer also good. I think it worked out about £6 plus for a small glass of local beer.Iceland is so expensive but we dined here twice out of a possible 4 nights.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We ate here on our 1st day, we were booked to go on the Fontana well being spa & northern lights excursions. Time was short to explore but liked the look of this bistro. We were not disappointed service friendly & personal. I had the fish pot, which I was told was tomato soup with white fish. Wonderful, actually contained large pieces of cod; large & small prawns, squid & mussels in a lovely rich tom sauce. Partner had steak, which was cooked to perfection. Lovely creamy rice pudding. However this is sprinkled with cinnamon, which I am not a lover of but hubby was & loved it, just ask for it to be left off if u do not like it. We visited there again on our last day, again excellent. Would definitely recommend

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We have had a lovely meal at this restaurant this evening! Staff were all very friendly, food and wine good and a nice way to finish our trip to iceland!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This restaurant has some of the nicest decor in all of Reykjavik. It is small enough to have that personal feel to it. The whale steak is delicious if you can ignore the overriding feeling of guilt! They had Icelandic Rice Pudding as a special and that was delicious! The staff were very friendly also. Perfect Valentines meal.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Went here last night, the place was packed but not brilliant for the money. Our friend had whale steak which was novel but the chicken was nothing special :( house wine mediocre and beer out of a tin. Staff nice and friendly though which made up for it a little.

AlexRocha, Owner at Le Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers.
I might understand your disappointment regarding prices in Iceland but I don’t quite understand your comments about the drinks. I understand that wine is a bit like colors; it’s all very personal and tastes shouldn’t be discussed. I can guaranty you that our present house wine is a Cotes du Rhone Belleruche from M. Chapoutier. Regarding de beer, your comment is unfounded or misplaced. We have 2 kinds of draft beer and a large choice of Icelandic, French and Belgium beer by bottles. We don’t do tin and never did.
I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly to understand a bit more the nature of your comments, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in Iceland and wish you the very best.