“Hotel Fron Reyjkavik - Ok (just about)”
Review of Hotel Fron

Hotel Fron
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is a small boutique hotel in the fashionable 101 district. It certainly looked very nice on the internet site. Unfortunately when I got there, it seemed much smaller, darker and less opulent than the lobby would suggest. I was given a room at the back of an annex building, at the back of the main building. My room was tiny, with what looked like a child's bed. The curtains did not reach down to the windowsill, which meant that, being on the ground floor, folks outside on the patio could see into my room. The bathroom was ok, but disconcertingly, had 2 doors, one for me, and one for people outside on the corridoor, which I thought was weird. The breakfast was good, if modest. Overall I was disappointed in this hotel, which was rather expensive. The location was fantastic though, but you won't get much sleep at the front of this hotel on a weekend night.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RLC846

Reviewed 14 July 2013

This was one of four hotels we stayed in on a recent Iceland vacation (July 2013). We stayed in one of the rooms that had a balcony overlooking the main street. We loved the view. The room was the largest of all the hotels we stayed at on the trip (all about the same price). The restroom was functional and clean. The room also included a couch, television, desk, coffee table, dining table and chairs, mini fridge, and kitchen area. More than we needed but it came in handy! The restaurant's breakfast was substantial but I would highly recommend eating lunch or dinner at the hotel restaurant. Very delicious!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lesconner8
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We had a queen studio during our stay at the Fron. It was nice having a large room--esp. nice to have soap not gel and a bedside clock. The bathroom looked updated--I liked the having two shower heads one higher and stationery and the other lower and removable. There was also a stove, fridge, and sink. The room itself felt slightly outdated. The location is outstanding being located right on Laugavegur, the main shopping street of the city. This is pedestrianized during certain hours which can make pick ups by bus, tours, etc. more difficult. Most attractions are within walking distance. The one thing to be aware of however is that our room opened onto the street which is great during the week (when we were there). It could be an issue on weekends. the breakfast was probably the biggest minus. It was not as expansive as others we have seen and it was very crowded. That being said we did eat at the restaurant and found it quite good--if the frozen skyr dessert is on menu try it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jimfromalberta
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is nice little hotel in excelent location in downtown Reykjavik. Room I had was quite small and when I wanted to change it I was told it was one of best they have and quite since others are overlooking street and club that played music all night long. So I stayed in it. Problem was LCD TV that was just too high and you could not watch it from bed but only while standing?! Breakfast was ok but rather modest. Staff were ok.

Room Tip: Aviod rooms overlooking street and especially one over music club which plays loud music all night l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank nibu1979
Reviewed 5 July 2013

From the moment we landed we were very happy with our choice of hotel. We stayed for four days. We stayed in suite/apartment 125 which is round the back of th hotel in a new building. As per pictures the room was modern with leather sofa alarm clock and tv and free wifi access.

The kitchen had table and chairs, microwave coffee percolator, fridge washing liquid, wipe cloth, tea towel and all the utensils and pans that you will need.

We take a travel kettle as I drink tea rather than coffee.

The beds were very comfortable, it was very warm. This suite does not ave a view bout I would not let that put you off as being off the main street it was very quite.

The hotel itself is on a main and nice shopping area with 1 min walk to supermarket. I would recommend using bonus and not 1011 we shopped there first and it's much more expensive, search Thanet for grocery shopping in iceland nod you ill see I'm not he only one that thinks that lol.

Breakfast is continental, and fresh and plentiful, staff very friendly, I'd tun up early or after 8 as it can be busy, but there is a fast turnover so you won't wait long lol

We were picked up from hotel fron by busiceland which I highly recommend cheapest on the net and excellent for both th blue lagoon and golden circle tour see my reviews on this.

Getting from Keflavik we used flybus, easy to find head right as you exit you will see the kiosk, choose flybus plus if you want dropped of at hotel, they transfer you to smaller bus at the bus terminal

Whale watching in reykjavik I recommend elding it's 500 isk cheaper on on the tour I went on see 10 am 4th July on thir website or photos and video, we saw a humpback an other tour company's turned back this tour company stayed hole we ll watched and on that day was the biggest boat, offered weather suits anti sickness tablets for free no one was sick, has a cafe and is olds IAFW guidelines

In summary reykjavik awesome as was hotel fron

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank orca111
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Everything in town is near this hotel..walk to shops, restaurants, harbor, pond, etc. Front desk folks are extremely helpful..wakeup calls, umbrellas, confirmation of tours etc all handled with aplomb.

Hotel is on main street, but hotel has at least one building in the rear which is quieter and may have rooms larger than up front..so request that.

Hotel is also on the route of tour pickups, making it very convenient.

Room Tip: Choose room in back building, away from main street, for quiet and possibly more size.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjbirnbaum
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Hotel Fron is located in the heart of Reykjavik, along the main shopping district Laugavegur, which is chock full of some of the best restaurants and shopping around. This is an excellent location, unless one wants a a remote stay, without the yelling of party-goers and loud music on friday and weekend nights which can be faintly heard.

Facilities are excellent. All rooms comes with a mini bar, rooms have sufficient space to avoid being labelled claustrophobic as are some of the other hotels in this area, the toilets even have heaters for the towels(always nice to have warm towels after a shower), hairdryers are included. I booked a single room on one night, but was upgraded to a spacious double room for some reason. I spent another night in a single room, which this review is based on. Decor is new, and inviting.

All in all, for the price paid, this was value for money, compared to other more expensive hotels in the area, which offer much less, and make you pay more.

*secure luggage storage is also available. This is helpful for many of us who would like to spend a few days backpacking outside Reykjavik, and would like to leave the baggage behind.

For elderly folks and people with large items of luggage, you should request to have rooms that are at the same level as the lift landings. On my first night, I got a room on the third floor, but upon reaching the 3rd floor via lift, I still had to climb two flights of stairs to get to my room-- not too easy for older folks or those with extra needs.

Room Tip: For elderly folks and people with large items of luggage, you should request to have rooms that are...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo