“Convenience”

Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Phoenix, New York
“Convenience”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

While this was difficult to find late at night in the dark, (no outside lights) it was a nice escape. My first impression of the hotel was nothing like I envisioned from images online. The room was a bit noisy- as I was on the ground level in the back, close to the parking area and a few noisy pussycats! I heard everyone walking and driving by. Nothing that kept me awake or anything, but I am used to the country, with no noise at night. This should not be a deterrent for others. I was unusually chilly the first night, and upon awakening I noticed the window in the bathroom was open - it was close to the ceiling, so I was unable to close it. The wonderful staff had someone over within minutes to close it. The room was spacious for a single traveler, I would definitely stay here again. It's very close to the little grocery store down the street and close to shopping on town, the harbor, and everywhere I visited during my stay. I walked to the zoo, the library and the National Museum from the hotel- and places in between. very convenient!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank librarianCNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Finland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I can recommend Hotel Frón for anyone going to Reykjavík.
The front desk staff is really nice and helpful. The hotel is extremely well located, Breakfast is nothing special but you don't have to leave hungry. I really like the idea with kitchenettes in the rooms, very convenient!
But beware. The hotel is divided into two separate buildings, only one of them has nice rooms. Unfortunately we had to stay in the house where the rooms are in bad condition. Our friends stayed in the better one which is why I know there's a really great difference! We both had studio apartments. Theirs was fresh, clean, nicely furbished and the bathroom was luxorious for a 3-star hotel. Our room was dark with flea market furniture and ugly walls and floor. The bathroom was a disaster with a dirty, dingy floor and a shower curtain that has hung there since the late 90's... Also the air didn't circualte so the air in both bathroom and room was very thick. But as we didn't spend much time in the room it was OK and I didn't complain directly to the hotel. I just hope our room was cheaper but somehow I doubt that. We were just unlucky.

Would stay again (and ask for a freshly renovated room at check-in!)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fridolina
New Bedford, MA
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Where do I start. This was a great centrally located place to stay. It was very clean, well managed and a great place to do all our trips from. The reservations were made by Bob Murray from the Gateway to Iceland group. Everything they did on our trip and the hotel blended beautifully. Thanks to everyone

Room Tip: Never did check to see if there was a fitness center, We had a lot of wonderful things on our agend...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Situated on the main street this was a convenient place to stay. The room was warm and comfortable, the reception staff were pleasant enough. It was a quiet hotel with a nice comfy welcome area and lifts

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel is clean and pleasant enough. The front desk staff is friendly and welcoming. The hotel is quiet enough on weekdays, but beware the street noise on the weekends. Bring ear plugs! The breakfast area is very crowded with a poor layout - people bumping into each other, a bit too chaotic of a way to start the day. Still, the central location makes this a great and affordable place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not book a street-side room on the weekends - the street noise is nearly unbearable
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hotel is in a great location and seemed reasonably priced. The room was clean and reasonably equipped with limited cooking facilities however there was a lot of external noise and to be fair to the hotel not all of which can be put down to the hotel but to noisy guest repeatedly shouting and letting doors slam but you could hear people walking around in the room above, it also didn't help that we over looked the back entrance.

The hotel does have limited parking but it is charged at 1200k not the 900k is says on expedia or in the room information.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quite location, the higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. We stayed in an apartment room with a kitchenette. It was spacious with a balcony. The hotel is in an ideal location in the centre of Reykjavik and all tours will pick you from there. The reception were very friendly and helpful. Three items that I would recommend the hotel to change/add would be:

1. The pillows. They are not very good
2. Add a fry up like an omelette to the breakfast.
3. The TV selection was limited in my room. I'm not sure if it was the same in all other rooms but this should be fixed.

However, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple