“Beyond expectations!”

Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Neath, United Kingdom
“Beyond expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is the second time that I've stayed at Hotel Fron in four months! The fact that I returned says alot about this hotel. The first I came with a friend of mine and we stayed in one of the rooms at the front of the hotel with a small balcony. The room was spacious and clean and the staff were brilliant. My only concern was that there seemed to be a club or bar close by which could get nosy during the nights (and the Icelandic people know how to party!!)

But on return, myself and my boyfriend stayed in a studio apartment which is located in a building just behind the main block which was very quiet! Ideally located, the room was big and clean and the double bed was very comfortable. I had emailed the hotel to say it was my boyfriends birthday and to see if they could put a few beers Into the room for him. They did this no problems, no hassle. 6 pack of beer and two small balloons! Perfect! It cost nearly £30 (But that's Iceland!)

The breakfast is well stocked up with all your general continental dishes and meats and the staff make a good conscious effort to keep the area full during breakfast. It's not a big dinning area (but it's not a big hotel!) so it can get busy during breakfast. I would suggest getting there early OR just before breakfast finishes as these are the quieter times.

The room was cleaned every day, fresh lining, clean bins and fresh towels. The location is ideal. It's situated right in the high street of Reykjavik. Perfect. Any trips or tours you take will normally pick you up from the lobby of the hotel and if you need to book trips the hotel can help you with this also!

One morning we needed a taxi and the hotel was able to book this for us no problem. No stress. Checking out at 03:30 was a breeze, the lady behind the counter was brilliant and after a check hand over of the room keys we were then offered to help our self to some breakfast and coffee! (Even at 03:30am!!)

Would I recommend?
Definitely!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lauren J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I booked Hotel Fron for a two night stay for my wife and myself. The airport shuttle dropped us about 10 metres from the hotel door. We got to the hotel approximately 10:00 but hadn't booked an early check in; despite this we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who explained that this want a problem although our room wouldn't be ready for a little while and we were able to leave our luggage there securely whilst we went for a little wander.
The hotel is indeed superbly located right on the main shopping street amidst the lovely boutiques, bars and restaurants all within walking distance. I think had this locati4on been in several other capital cities the price of staying here would be much greater.
Our room was clean and spacious enough for the two of us, not too big but then again not miniscule either (having read another review about the bathroom not being large enough for two people I'm not sure I would want to be in there at the same time as someone else).
The hotel was clean, the inclusive breakfast was a mix of cereals and continental with tea, coffee and juices and was more than enough. The staff were extremely friendly and their assistance with arranging excursions and also our return airport shuttle seemed to be no trouble for them.
As others have stated Iceland is expensive for dining out and going for a coffee etc so bear in mind and stock up if you can.
I highly recommend Hotel Fron for location, value, cleanliness and friendliness and would most definitely stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
San Fernando, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our stay at the hotel started off a bit badly when we arrived at 6am after two days of flying. I had sent an email prior to our arrival asking to be allowed to check in early, and received a response that the hotel staff would try their best. Upon arrival, when I again asked if it was possible for us to check in early, I was rudely informed that the hotel cannot keep a room empty all night to allow me early check in unless i was paying for the prior night. I was quite taken aback, as this is not what I implied - I only meant if the room was empty, could we get it earlier. I didnt make a fuss at this rude remark as the gentleman then told me he would still see what he could do. We were allowed to check in at 9:30am, which is considerably better than the standard check in time of 2pm.

Location here is excellent, walking distance to a great many restaurants and shops. Tour buses collect you inside the hotel reception.

Room and bathroom are tiny but comfortable and clean. We were over the street and I enjoyed people watching from our large window. We had no issue with noise. We requested a double bed, which actually turned out to be two single beds made up separately, but placed next to each other. The hot water in the tap smells strongly of sulphur, which can be quite off putting at first - but this is the norm in Iceland.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

East access to historic harbour. The trip organisers pick up from the door but some don't drop off as this hotel is on a narrow street. Surrounded by bars & restaurants with a range of shops nearby. Breakfast does what it says; great coffee, cheese, eggs, cereals, yoghurt etc. Restaurant area is clean & has some interesting design details as does the main foyer. So quiet in our room, at the back, that we slept on the really comfy beds like logs!!! Staff are all helpful & happy to have a chat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband, 20 year old son and I stayed at the Hotel Fron in late March. The location is unbeatable, right on the main shopping street within easy walking distance of numerous restaurants, bars, shops and attractions. We had a very spacious two-bedroom suite. The room was very clean and the bathroom was a good size. We reserved a parking space behind the hotel which was very handy. You do have to have nerves of steel to navigate in the small, but very convenient, parking lot. My only complaint is that the wifi in our room was virtually non-existent. We would definitely stay at the Hotel Fron again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CCSusan
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

A lovely friendly hotel , I've read all the reports and it wasn't like some earlier negative comments at all. Beds lovely and comfortable. Breakfast was typical continental nothing special , but hay ho if you want special go and pay special prices. Iceland is amazing really amazing, I booked to go back two days after coming home

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jaytee_2011_12
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at the Hotel Fron. The location was great and it was a good value. Breakfast was included and since food is so expensive in Iceland, we were sure not to miss it. The hotel staff was very helpful in recommending restaurants walking distance to the hotel for dinner as well places to park our car for the evening (without having to pay for parking and without getting a parking ticket). Our rooms were very comfortable although one room at the front of the hotel was a little noisy but it didn't bother my son too much.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family