“A great downtown hotel!”
Review of Hotel Fron

Hotel Fron
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Asheville, North Carolina
“A great downtown hotel!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

If I ever get the chance to come back to Reykjavik, then I would definitely stay here again. I would not consider other hotels because my husband and I had a wonderful stay at Hotel Fron and there is no reason to look further. It is in great location and the hotel is clean and comfortable. Our flight arrived at 6 AM and we came straight to the hotel on a bus. Being that is was so early, our room was not ready, but the hotel staff offered us a free breakfast that morning and we still received our free breakfast (included in the price) the next morning. I thought that was a nice gesture. We stayed one night at the beginning of our 10 day driving trip around Iceland and one night at the end of our trip. During our stay at the end of our trip, we were upgraded to a suite for no extra cost! Overall the staff is very friendly, the food is good, and the hotel is very nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location and a palatial (certainly compared to two other hotels we have stayed in while in Reykavik which charged roughly the same price) sized room. Ask for a room in the backyard courtyard (as opposed to one that borders the street) to ensure a buffer from late night street noise. The buffet is amble and offers a good start to the day. Staff is helpful.

There is nothing at all that I could seriously complain about. To make any complaint would be picky and utterly contrived.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the backyard courtyard for front-facing rooms will suffer from loud street noise d...
1 Thank JasonfromHalifax
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is the second time that I've stayed at Hotel Fron in four months! The fact that I returned says alot about this hotel. The first I came with a friend of mine and we stayed in one of the rooms at the front of the hotel with a small balcony. The room was spacious and clean and the staff were brilliant. My only concern was that there seemed to be a club or bar close by which could get nosy during the nights (and the Icelandic people know how to party!!)

But on return, myself and my boyfriend stayed in a studio apartment which is located in a building just behind the main block which was very quiet! Ideally located, the room was big and clean and the double bed was very comfortable. I had emailed the hotel to say it was my boyfriends birthday and to see if they could put a few beers Into the room for him. They did this no problems, no hassle. 6 pack of beer and two small balloons! Perfect! It cost nearly £30 (But that's Iceland!)

The breakfast is well stocked up with all your general continental dishes and meats and the staff make a good conscious effort to keep the area full during breakfast. It's not a big dinning area (but it's not a big hotel!) so it can get busy during breakfast. I would suggest getting there early OR just before breakfast finishes as these are the quieter times.

The room was cleaned every day, fresh lining, clean bins and fresh towels. The location is ideal. It's situated right in the high street of Reykjavik. Perfect. Any trips or tours you take will normally pick you up from the lobby of the hotel and if you need to book trips the hotel can help you with this also!

One morning we needed a taxi and the hotel was able to book this for us no problem. No stress. Checking out at 03:30 was a breeze, the lady behind the counter was brilliant and after a check hand over of the room keys we were then offered to help our self to some breakfast and coffee! (Even at 03:30am!!)

Would I recommend?
Definitely!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lauren J
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I booked Hotel Fron for a two night stay for my wife and myself. The airport shuttle dropped us about 10 metres from the hotel door. We got to the hotel approximately 10:00 but hadn't booked an early check in; despite this we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who explained that this want a problem although our room wouldn't be ready for a little while and we were able to leave our luggage there securely whilst we went for a little wander.
The hotel is indeed superbly located right on the main shopping street amidst the lovely boutiques, bars and restaurants all within walking distance. I think had this locati4on been in several other capital cities the price of staying here would be much greater.
Our room was clean and spacious enough for the two of us, not too big but then again not miniscule either (having read another review about the bathroom not being large enough for two people I'm not sure I would want to be in there at the same time as someone else).
The hotel was clean, the inclusive breakfast was a mix of cereals and continental with tea, coffee and juices and was more than enough. The staff were extremely friendly and their assistance with arranging excursions and also our return airport shuttle seemed to be no trouble for them.
As others have stated Iceland is expensive for dining out and going for a coffee etc so bear in mind and stock up if you can.
I highly recommend Hotel Fron for location, value, cleanliness and friendliness and would most definitely stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our stay at the hotel started off a bit badly when we arrived at 6am after two days of flying. I had sent an email prior to our arrival asking to be allowed to check in early, and received a response that the hotel staff would try their best. Upon arrival, when I again asked if it was possible for us to check in early, I was rudely informed that the hotel cannot keep a room empty all night to allow me early check in unless i was paying for the prior night. I was quite taken aback, as this is not what I implied - I only meant if the room was empty, could we get it earlier. I didnt make a fuss at this rude remark as the gentleman then told me he would still see what he could do. We were allowed to check in at 9:30am, which is considerably better than the standard check in time of 2pm.

Location here is excellent, walking distance to a great many restaurants and shops. Tour buses collect you inside the hotel reception.

Room and bathroom are tiny but comfortable and clean. We were over the street and I enjoyed people watching from our large window. We had no issue with noise. We requested a double bed, which actually turned out to be two single beds made up separately, but placed next to each other. The hot water in the tap smells strongly of sulphur, which can be quite off putting at first - but this is the norm in Iceland.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 April 2014

East access to historic harbour. The trip organisers pick up from the door but some don't drop off as this hotel is on a narrow street. Surrounded by bars & restaurants with a range of shops nearby. Breakfast does what it says; great coffee, cheese, eggs, cereals, yoghurt etc. Restaurant area is clean & has some interesting design details as does the main foyer. So quiet in our room, at the back, that we slept on the really comfy beds like logs!!! Staff are all helpful & happy to have a chat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband, 20 year old son and I stayed at the Hotel Fron in late March. The location is unbeatable, right on the main shopping street within easy walking distance of numerous restaurants, bars, shops and attractions. We had a very spacious two-bedroom suite. The room was very clean and the bathroom was a good size. We reserved a parking space behind the hotel which was very handy. You do have to have nerves of steel to navigate in the small, but very convenient, parking lot. My only complaint is that the wifi in our room was virtually non-existent. We would definitely stay at the Hotel Fron again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family