Hotel Fron
US$350
Travelocity
  • Room Service
2,428 results
All reviewsthe main streetbreadscandinavian restaurantgreat locationyogurtcentral locationattached restaurantstudio roomcold meatssmall kitchenettecooking facilitieshot waterkitchen areabreakfast staffcontinental breakfastsulphur smellmini bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed in May for one week in this hotel on a business trip. I found the room to be larger (with kitchenette, sitting area and table and chairs) than I expected, it was like a studio apartment. The amenities were all relatively new and furniture was quiet comfortable (I slept quiet well in the bed). However, our room was facing a side street and there was a night club under our window. On "weekend" or "holiday" nights, this is a bit of a problem because the windows are not soundproofed and it was quite difficult to stop as the noise went on until the very wee hours of the morning. The hotel does offer "free wifi" however the connection is absolutely horrible. You are better off going to the coffee shop across the street. This might not be a problem for those on holiday but as I needed to connect for work purposes this was a big issue for me during my stay. In regards to the breakfast offered, it is correct, with a decent serving (breads, cheeses, cereals, yogurts fruits) and there was fresh squeezed juice offered at the bar area. The reception was friendly and helpful when requiring directions or simple advice regarding the neighborhood. Overall, a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not facing the street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here four nights while in Iceland. We arrived about noon, and luckily there was a room ready for us. The room itself was nice enough and was a good size. It had two twin beds pushed together, and they were comfortable enough. The thing I disliked most was when we checked in, the clean sheets had other people's hairs on them. I detest that.
The room also had a small fridge/mini bar, a microwave oven and a sink. Also a small table with two chairs and a desk.
The room was mostly clean. The shower head in the bathroom had mildew on it. The water had a strong sulfur smell, which is common in Iceland, but it was very strong here. The bathroom and shower were small, but got the job done, and I didn't really have a problem with it. Be aware that they do not give you wash cloths here. They only provide towels.
The worst thing about the hotel is how close it is to several bars. Bars in Iceland don't close until 4:30 AM so you WILL hear loud thumping music ALL NIGHT. I had read about this in some other reviews, and thought it wouldn't really bother me, or that maybe some people were very sensitive to that sort of thing. I can usually sleep though all sorts of noise, and I love music, and yes even dance music. But this was very annoying. On my first night, the music woke me up about 2 am and I couldn't sleep again for a couple hours. It drove me crazy. I tried to turn on the television, to do anything to cover up that thump thump thump, but nothing worked. The hotel should perhaps invest in some white noise machines, although I'm not sure if they would work either. Luckily the next night I was so exhausted that I mostly slept through the music. It was only loud on Friday and Saturday nights, and the other nights were no problem for noise.
The staff were ok, not very friendly and not very unfriendly. When we checked out, the desk staff tried to tell me that we had a "drink and a snack" from the mini bar. I said that we did not, and they didn't try to charge us for it after that.
Breakfast was a bit odd to us as Americans. They had several different types of bread. There was a toaster at the other end of the counter for toasting the bread. There was also several kinds of deli meats and cheeses, a large bowl of sliced cucumbers, pre-sliced apples and bananas, so that they were already starting to turn brown. There was also some cold cereals, milk, and yogurt. The orange juice was obviously from concentrate which was re-hydrated with the bad sulfur water, so it had a bit of a funny taste to it.
The hotel is centrally located in Reykjavik, and all the tour companies pick up from here. So in that way it was very useful for doing tours. It is also located very close to restaurants, shops, bars obviously, and a couple grocery stores. The harbor and ocean front is a very easy walk away. We also found it close enough to walk to other attractions like the museum and the Hallgrímskirkja.
The television choice was very poor, with only about 4 channels available, one of those in Icelandic. But I certainly didn't go to Iceland to watch television, so it wasn't a big deal for me.
Overall, I found the hotel good enough. I don't recommend it on the weekend, unless you are deaf, but on a weekday I think it is fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bluemoonsymphony
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked a double room & pleasantly surprised to get a suite. Seperate bedroom with self contained kitchen & living room. Room's were cleaned every day, nice to have space to relax after a full day of sight seeing. Good value. Breakfast was average but there's always an alternative with local coffee shops. Front desk were always helpful even at 4.00 am when getting bus to airport, when coffee & breakfast was available.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Maureen K
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in January 2014. The hotel was modern and nicely presented. When we first checked in we were given a room which was two singles. This was not what we ordered. The hotel soon sorted this out for us and gave us a double room. Our room was quite high up and over looking the Main Street. Couldn't hear much from the street. The room was modern and clean with everything we needed.

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. They helped us out on which trips to do for the time we were there.

Breakfast was standard. Cereal, bread, cheeses, fruit, tea, coffee. It did the trick.

We also ate in the hotel restaurant which was nice. One evening we needed something quick as were going on a trip to see nothern lights and they kindly boxed up our food so we could take it with us. There does not seem to be any takeaways open late near the hotel which was a problem when coming back from our evenings out watching the lights.

Great hotel was use it again if went back. Would also recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've walked past the Fron many times on previous visits to Reykjavik and always thought it would be a good place to stay. I finally stayed there last month and was not disappointed. My room was nice (209) and the bed was very comfortable, there is a minibar and safe and the closet space was adequate for a solo traveler, like me! The bathroom and shower set-up was very good and there was shelf space for lotions, etc. The breakfast was pretty basic when compared to the more expensive chain hotels, which tend to offer a large assortment of hot and cold dishes, but it was fine and the location of the Fron more than makes up for the breakfast selections. Aside from it's location, I can say the Fron has the nicest Reception Staff you would ever want to meet; August and the rest of the team were very kind and helpful and made me feel most welcome. Nothing beats "local knowledge" and they were very good at answering questions, even in the midst of the busy check-in/out times. I liked the Fron so much, I will be staying there on two upcoming visits!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo