“Good Value in Reykjavik”
Review of Hotel Fron

Hotel Fron
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
North Carolina
“Good Value in Reykjavik”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our recent stay on a Sunday and Monday nights in June was our first visit to Reykjavik and worked out perfectly. The location is an easy walk down to the waterfront and new Opera House or uphill to the Church of Iceland. We used Reykjavik Excursions for all our airport and tour transportation which pick up just behind this hotel. There is some street noise with the windows open. All of the front desk clerks were very helpful before and during our visit. Our room on the second floor in the main building was clean, room enough for two people, and had a mini refrigerator. The attached restaurant got a bit crowded for the breakfast plan but had a typical European large buffet.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lakebem51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I spent two nights here in July 2014 and I had a very pleasant stay. My single room was of good size and had everything I needed for a pleasant stay. I liked the fact that the room had a mini bar big enough to store my own beer in and that the TV had a lot of international channels. The bathroom was specious and came with suitable toiletries. The whole place felt very clean. The free wifi worked fine.
The hotel's location is fantastic, smack middle of Reykjavik with walking distance to almost everything.
I'm not sure what the hotel means when they state that they serve a "hearty" breakfast, because to me it was a standard continental breakfast. It was ok, no more no less.
I'll definitely stay here again on my next visit to Reykjavik!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LindaGlobetrotter
Naestved, Denmark
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Perfect lokation and good pricing. I will use this hotel again on my next visit.
Located on the main shopping street everything is within walking distance. At bit noisy at night but this is easily handled by using earplugs. We didn't use them as we were simply exhausted every night and fell asleep right away.
The room was nice, good cleaning service, helpful reception. The breakfast was okay but a bit boring for our taste. The only critique I have is that when you come and go, you don't get eyecontact and a smile from the man/woman at the reception - that would have been nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side if you are noice sensitive
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was a little torn on how to write this review, but I feel its necessary to worn those who are interested in getting a good nights sleep. The actual hotel and rooms are quite fine, and the location of the hotel cannot be beat for a visit to Reykjavik. The only problem is you cannot get any sleep on Friday and Saturday nights. You can feel the music from the nightclub below until 4:30am on the weekends. We were awoken to the banging of our closet doors to the bass from the club and the walls were shaking for 5 straight hours. I'm not one to complain about some noise in a hotel as I like to go out and have a good time as well, but this was the most excessive noise I have ever heard in a hotel stay. I went down to the lobby both nights to make sure they were aware of our displeasure but they were unwilling to offer a room change or any sort of discount at checkout. The response I got was this was just a typical weekend and there was nothing that could be done about it. If you are staying in town on a weeknight look no further, but if you are in town on a weekend with plans other than the bar scene I would seriously look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ruhl34
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed in May for one week in this hotel on a business trip. I found the room to be larger (with kitchenette, sitting area and table and chairs) than I expected, it was like a studio apartment. The amenities were all relatively new and furniture was quiet comfortable (I slept quiet well in the bed). However, our room was facing a side street and there was a night club under our window. On "weekend" or "holiday" nights, this is a bit of a problem because the windows are not soundproofed and it was quite difficult to stop as the noise went on until the very wee hours of the morning. The hotel does offer "free wifi" however the connection is absolutely horrible. You are better off going to the coffee shop across the street. This might not be a problem for those on holiday but as I needed to connect for work purposes this was a big issue for me during my stay. In regards to the breakfast offered, it is correct, with a decent serving (breads, cheeses, cereals, yogurts fruits) and there was fresh squeezed juice offered at the bar area. The reception was friendly and helpful when requiring directions or simple advice regarding the neighborhood. Overall, a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not facing the street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here four nights while in Iceland. We arrived about noon, and luckily there was a room ready for us. The room itself was nice enough and was a good size. It had two twin beds pushed together, and they were comfortable enough. The thing I disliked most was when we checked in, the clean sheets had other people's hairs on them. I detest that.
The room also had a small fridge/mini bar, a microwave oven and a sink. Also a small table with two chairs and a desk.
The room was mostly clean. The shower head in the bathroom had mildew on it. The water had a strong sulfur smell, which is common in Iceland, but it was very strong here. The bathroom and shower were small, but got the job done, and I didn't really have a problem with it. Be aware that they do not give you wash cloths here. They only provide towels.
The worst thing about the hotel is how close it is to several bars. Bars in Iceland don't close until 4:30 AM so you WILL hear loud thumping music ALL NIGHT. I had read about this in some other reviews, and thought it wouldn't really bother me, or that maybe some people were very sensitive to that sort of thing. I can usually sleep though all sorts of noise, and I love music, and yes even dance music. But this was very annoying. On my first night, the music woke me up about 2 am and I couldn't sleep again for a couple hours. It drove me crazy. I tried to turn on the television, to do anything to cover up that thump thump thump, but nothing worked. The hotel should perhaps invest in some white noise machines, although I'm not sure if they would work either. Luckily the next night I was so exhausted that I mostly slept through the music. It was only loud on Friday and Saturday nights, and the other nights were no problem for noise.
The staff were ok, not very friendly and not very unfriendly. When we checked out, the desk staff tried to tell me that we had a "drink and a snack" from the mini bar. I said that we did not, and they didn't try to charge us for it after that.
Breakfast was a bit odd to us as Americans. They had several different types of bread. There was a toaster at the other end of the counter for toasting the bread. There was also several kinds of deli meats and cheeses, a large bowl of sliced cucumbers, pre-sliced apples and bananas, so that they were already starting to turn brown. There was also some cold cereals, milk, and yogurt. The orange juice was obviously from concentrate which was re-hydrated with the bad sulfur water, so it had a bit of a funny taste to it.
The hotel is centrally located in Reykjavik, and all the tour companies pick up from here. So in that way it was very useful for doing tours. It is also located very close to restaurants, shops, bars obviously, and a couple grocery stores. The harbor and ocean front is a very easy walk away. We also found it close enough to walk to other attractions like the museum and the Hallgrímskirkja.
The television choice was very poor, with only about 4 channels available, one of those in Icelandic. But I certainly didn't go to Iceland to watch television, so it wasn't a big deal for me.
Overall, I found the hotel good enough. I don't recommend it on the weekend, unless you are deaf, but on a weekday I think it is fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bluemoonsymphony
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked a double room & pleasantly surprised to get a suite. Seperate bedroom with self contained kitchen & living room. Room's were cleaned every day, nice to have space to relax after a full day of sight seeing. Good value. Breakfast was average but there's always an alternative with local coffee shops. Front desk were always helpful even at 4.00 am when getting bus to airport, when coffee & breakfast was available.

• Stayed February 2014