“an experience you wouldn´t want on your worst enemy”
Review of Adam Hotel

Adam Hotel
Ranked #96 of 107 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reykjavik, Iceland
“an experience you wouldn´t want on your worst enemy”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

What can I say, me and a couple of friends have lived at this amazing resort of make believe story tales which is advertised as some sort of cheap and great location ´hotel´.
Let´s start of with the ´hotel´ false advertisement, it´s not even a hostel, or a guest house, the rooms are not heated, the walls are made of cardboard as if the old cars from Bulgaria, Lada, and the experience is something out of a thriller movie with customer service non existent, where the landlord comes at 6 in the morning to vacuum and clean on a Sunday.
Is not a joke, the place itself is the joke, and is all on you if you pay the price to be tormented.
By the way, is not as cheap as they make you think, their actually cheaper and better quality places in Iceland for both turists, students and adventurers.
So if you come to iceland, be sure to avoid this ˇdeath trapˇ.

Room Tip: Be ware the landlord, Mr. Ragnar is a very bright and colorful young man with a loving voice and he...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Syrus G
we would like to thank you very much for your stay!
You have booked SHARED facility accommodation..thats why price and standard is lower, than if you would pay for PRIVATE accommodation.
We will be happy to host you again sometime in future in our PRIVATE accommodation, where each room is equipped with a private bathroom, television, refrigerator and a basic kitchen necessary to make your own breakfast. All rooms have free WiFi Internet connection. Downstairs we have a grocery shop that's open til late and also lobby/coffee shop, where you can enjoy a cup of your favorite brew, to have a breakfast, or just browse the internet on our free WiFi hot spot.
We can provide you also with car rental service and arrange the airport transportation for you.
Thank you very much !!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lincoln
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Having seen all the negative reviews of this place I felt compelled to write something. The Adam hotel is remarkably cheap and in a great location. It certainly isn't the Ritz but has all the basics and is perfectly adequate accommodation. And to top it all, the manager is a major Icelandic film star! What more could you want? If you're looking for luxury, this isn't it, but if you're looking for a cheap and convenient place to rest your weary head while you're in Reykjavik, look no further.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ben B
UK
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I just wanted to leave a quick review as I stayed here very recently after reading all of the bad reviews on trip advisor. I chose to book as I was on a really tight budget and this place came in at 1/3 of the price of the next least expensive hotel on hotels.com. I was prepared for the worst and very pleasantly surprised. The place was clean, comfortable and really well located. Yes, there were a couple of things wrong with the room like a broken shower head but did it have any bearing on my stay?? No. The manager may seem a little rude at first but after you break through the slightly grumpy exterior, he's a really nice guy. Icelandic culture seems to me to be a little different to what we're used to in the UK and you need to approach it with an open mind and not take personal offence at personalities that differ from what you may be used to. Anyway, the main thing is, if you're an open minded person who's not too fussy and is looking for somewhere that's excellently located and great value for money, go ahead and book here. It's a great base to explore the city

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cactusshoeplant
Beckum, Germany
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I booked this hotel for 11 days in August-September 2012. I chose this hotel because it was listed as having a kitchenette, free parking, free wifi, a central location close to Hallgrimskirkja -making it easy to find; and, when I booked the hotel, there were only 1 or 2 negative reviews online. I decided to give the property a chance. When I arrived, the property manager was extremely rude. I had to wait for him to give me the key to the room. He was not helpful when I asked him where I could get foreign exchange; and, he grudgingly gave me the wireless Internet code when I asked for it, telling me in the process, 'nothing in life is free'. He only became pleasant at the end of the trip when he discovered I am a doctor.

The "kitchenette" had a microwave but did not have a stove, which limited my plans for preparing my own meals. (Note, this is despite the fact that a grocery store shares a wall with the front of the property). Guests enter the property from the back, not the front. The main picture associated with this property online is of the grocery store adjacent to the apartment.

AdaM apartment would compare to a poorly equipped garage apartment in the US. I specifically booked a room with a private bath thinking it would be okay since the bathroom would not be shared. I was given a room with 3 single beds, one of which was obviously broken. The "free parking" was on the street. I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a private bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Eidi M
Thank you very much !!

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The room got a sink, small fridge, TV, microwave, some dishes and ustensils, a toaster and a kettle. The room does not have a wardrobe, tablets to put the clothes. No private bathroom, the shower's handle is broken. The service was good, we lost a bag in a bus, and the girl kindly call them to make the bag found. We also ask the girl for an extra pillow and we got it. The wifi is terrible. It is hard to connect to, and we can be disconnect at any moment. It is very slow, the maximum I got was 120 kB/s.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The hotel website stated that all rooms had been renovated and all had bathrooms. Not true. My room was very small, no TV, no radio, no closet, no coffee, no clock, etc., and the shared bathroom was down the hall. I asked for a different room and the guy at the desk was quite surly and said that there were no other rooms available and when I asked if my money would be refunded if I left to find a different hotel, he said there were no refunds because I booked the room through an agency. Iceland is an amazing place to visit, just don't go to Adam Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Thomas R
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Stayed here for one night. It is reasonably clean, but the room or the property was severely overpriced. Things I noticed:

- The hotel brochure says all rooms have a bathroom. Mine did not. When I asked the manager, he said bathrooms were only guaranteed for those booking directly. No such note is on the hotel brochure.
- Upon entering the room (with two beds), the hotel assistant manager immediately removed the bedding and pillow off the second bed since I would be the only occupant. Later that evening, I discovered the remaining pillow was very flat. I went down and asked the same assistant manager for a 2nd pillow. He said that couldn't be done.
- There was no soap or Kleenex in the room. Only toilet paper.
- Walls were very thin.