“Mandatory”

Ranked #3 of 85 Shopping in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a mandatory place for music lovers - even if you don't know anything about Icelandic music. The atmosphere is cozy and hip, and the record there are amazing. You can sit down, have a cuppa and listen to whatever you want. You will certainly find an Icelandic band you'll like, I promise.

2  Thank Franceska T

Reviewed 14 July 2014

It's a record store, and a record label. Regular in-store gigs and a good selection of Icelandic and international artists on CD and Vinyl !

2  Thank jzbdski
Reviewed 7 July 2014

These days so many people stream music off Pandora or Spotify and have never experienced the pleasure of browsing a record store. 12 Tonar reminds me of record stores I used to visit and work in during my youth. There's a comfortable seating area where you can listen to any CD in the store while you enjoy a nice hot cappuccino. I discovered a lot of Icelandic indie bands that I probably never would have heard about if I hadn't gone to into 12 Tonar.

2  Thank Judy A
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It was like a trip back in time. Remember when you could go into a small independent shop and talk with a knowledgeable owner who was friendly, and really really loved music? Welcome to 12 Tonar. They support all Icelandic music and clearly enjoy all that love. It's a wonderful place to shop, drift around the wealth of Icelandic music and ask for help with any questions. I could have spent the entire afternoon there. They are excellent cultural guides!

2  Thank Beelove1
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Was advised to stop in to this little main street store and I didn't regret a second of it.

The owner was really friendly and I think it's fantastic that you can sit and listen before you purchase in quiet comfort. I explored downstairs and left with a number of CD's from some local Icelandic artists.

Would have stayed there longer if I wasn't on the move.

2  Thank Luke D