“A unique hotel in the center of the city”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We were impressed with this uniquely designed and appointed hotel. It is located in the heart of the city very close to Parliment House. We understand that all rooms are equiped with Wi-Fi ineternet connections, minibar, satellite television, hair dryer, iron and board, room safe, coffee and tea. Twenty-four hour room service. Indoor heated pool, sauna and solarium. We had a large room with a large bath. Only a bath tub was provided because of the unique design of the ceiling in the bath, but this I heard was unusual for most baths provide showers as well. Restaurant was top rated, but had a short menu. My wife and I each had soup and a side and they were both excellent. Bar and breakfast room was nice, set up for conversation. The complimentary breakfast was the very best we had in Iceland. I have heard that the hotel is moderately expensive. We were on tour so it was included with the price. We highly recommend staying at the Centrum in Reyhjavik.

2  Thank VA-Short-Term

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Horel is ideally situated to explore all the main attractions of Reykjavik. The breakfast is great and bar staff friendly. My only complaint was reception staff very grumpy and not very welcoming. We were in a room overlying the main street so it can become very noisy in the early hours!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mmjwbowman
Reviewed 27 October 2012

This was our second stay at the Centrum. Yes, the location is hard to beat and the rooms are very nice and clean. My only two disappointments would be that they charge extra for WiFi and breakfast is not included as it often is in Iceland. Our next time to our beloved Iceland, we will consider staying elsewhere in the city centre We very much enjoyed you, Centrum, but free WiFi in a hotel of your size, is a MUST.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gail K
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed at the centrum on the first night we arrived in Iceland, lovely hotel, perfect location, room very nicely decorated and furnished with plenty of room for my husband, myself and our our son. The bar is modern but very cosy with the wood burner in the centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was just a shame they were booked up when we came back to Rejkavik as we would have loved to have stayed there again. Definitely recommended.

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This must be the best situated hotel for central reykjavik. The hotel ticks all you need for a short stay. It was spotless and with a great breakfast. A very warm cosy bar with really friendly staff. As this trip was part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations the hotel noted this occasion by providing us with a welcoming gift of delicious treats to eat. What a lovely gesture. We also booked some trips through the hotel which went so smoothly and were outstanding a must do!

1  Thank Joan L
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Location, Location, Location!
- This is absolutely the best location without being on a main street.
- You can walk from the hotel to a grocery store (3 doors down), 2 coffee shops (1-4 doors down), several amazing restaurants, several cheap options (Pakastani Restaurant, Kebab place, several pizza places and the Best/famous Hot Dogs are just 2.5 blocks away)
- The tourist booking offices are near here (1-4 blocks distance)
- The waterfront is about 3 blocks away
- The long hall museum is under your hotel
- There are several (i.e. 10-15) bars within a few blocks walking distance

The Hotel
- We went with another couple who had a seperate room (229) their room was MUCH smaller and cramped than ours although we paid the same price. We had room 208. Our room was a great size.
- The complaints (although not major ones)
1) our shower just about killed us. There weren't any grips on the bottom of the tub and you have to hold on for dear life as you step down out of the tub/shower.
2) our bed was a bit....worn. I had a very large groove on my side of the bed that I had to curl up in in order to not fall of the bed.
3) it can be a bit noisy when you leave the windows open on the weekends
4) the second floor has an issue with noise form above (since they are woods floors). The cleaning folks moving chairs/vacuums above us was pretty loud. I may recommend the 3rd floor for this reason.
5) the couple we travelled with had to ask for a fan for their room. Despite it being cold outside, their room was so hot it was intolerable. All of us felt the need to open the windows all day and night due to how warm the hotel was. I loved it, but everyone else seemed to have problems with the warm temperature.
6) I would avoid eating at the hotel due to the prices
7) Although I emailed the hotel in advance to notify them of our very early arrival and was told early check-in wouldn't be an issue, we still had to wait until 2PM their time (after 24 hours without sleep) to check-in. It was understandable, but a bit of an inconvenience.

All in all, the benefits of the location, the price that we got and the service really outweigh any of the minor complaints I have listed above.

I still highly recommend this hotel over all of the others in this price range.

I really can't say enough about how perfect the location is!

Room Tip: I would recommend the 3rd floor as long as you aren't sensitive to heat. Room 208 was nice. Room...
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This hotel was really lovely; the rooms were extremely comfortable and immaculately cleaned every day. The heated floors in the bathroom were a nice touch and the “rain type” showers were great, made my shower at home in England feel rubbish! The reception staffs were very friendly and happy to help with all the excursion bookings, I would defiantly recommend whale watching. Reykjavik is generally an expensive place to visit, so I would recommend saving far in advance for your Icelandic holiday (trust me, it’s worth every penny!) the trips and excursions are around £60-£100 each.

On a different note, the location of this hotel is PERFECT! Right in the centre of Reykjavik, however it is really peaceful at night. Very close to lots of lovely coffee shops and a variety of restaurants and bars. The harbour is also really close by.

The breakfast room was often quite crowded, therefore I would recommend going down for breakfast early to avoid the rush, 7am is best. At this time the fresh bread and waffles are still warm. We did not try the hotel restaurant because we thought it looked quite expensive, the dining room looked beautiful though, and if we would have had the money to spend we would have eaten here for sure. I am vegetarian and I thought that I would struggle with the food choice in Reykjavik, however I was surprised to find out that Reykjavik has its own vegetarian cafe called: Næstu Grösum! Defiantly worth a visit even if you aren’t vegetarian because it offers really healthy good value for money food!

My partner and I had a fantastic time staying at Hotel Centrum, and we have already recommended it our friends and family. Next time we visit Reykjavik this is the only hotel that I want to stay in!

Room Tip: Our room was perfect, we were on the third floor, I don’t know about any other rooms.
1  Thank millymoo88