“Location, Location”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We spent six nights here. The hotel was located ideally for exploring the City, the room, although compact, was perfect for a city visit. We didn't eat in the restaurant, except for breakfast, which was a little disappointing, if adequate. The bar food was very good, as were the staff throughout. A lovely place to stay; we would return happily.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Reykjavik Centrum

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel is in a pleasant quiet location but easy walking to everything. Rooms fine and there is an atmospheric bar used by locals where you can drink( Italian red wine and local beers excellent) and have a bite to eat. Staff helpful on desk. Restaurant a bit quiet and food a little disappointing- breakfast really not worth it unless you need to eat early before a trip.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mesapolonica
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This hotel has very helpful staff. We arrived late (no problem), they upgraded our room (without even asking), and gave us great tips about spending our last day in Iceland. The location couldn't be more central to everything there is to see and do in Reykjavik.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoyfulTraveler85
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Right in the centre of the city, it's a short walk to the harbour and lots of shops, restaurants etc. Good value - big comfortable room and attentive staff who were very helpful with advice about places to eat etc. The one downside about Reykjavik is that it's a huge hike to the airport - had to get up incredibly early to check in for a 9am flight and the bus out to the airport involves being picked up in a shuttle and then taken bleary eyed out to the bus station. All a bit much after a heavy night partying in the many bars! However the hotel itself was great, good value, comfortable and well located.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum for one night in mid-November, on a layover to London. I had been wanting to go to Iceland for some time (but full trips can be pricey), so wanted to pack in as much as possible in my short stay. This was the perfect place for my needs.

My flight arrived early in the morning at KEF, so prior to my departure I asked if there was any way they'd be able to check me in early. It's dependent on whether the guests in your room depart early, but it is worth giving them a heads up ahead of time, as the concierge really went above and beyond to get the room cleaned quickly to check me in as soon as possible.

I arrived around 8 a.m. and was able to get into my room by 12, which was perfect as it gave me a bit of time to wander around downtown Reykjavik before taking the Golden Circle tour. I love that the hotel is so central and easy to locate, as it's right next to the town's centre square. (My sense of direction isn't great, and even I had no problem finding it after a wander.)

The room: Very clean and well-equipped with a safe, nice closet, extra pillows and blankets and quite a nice bathroom. Not enormous but certainly not one of those cramped rooms where you can tell they've crammed every inch of space *cough NYC cough*. I opted for the double bed option, which is actually two twin beds pushed together. I like to sleep in the middle and didn't find this bothered me, it was nice to have the extra space to starfish. :) But if you tend to sleep on one side of the bed anyway, it probably isn't worth it. The TV worked fine and had plenty of English shows to choose from, though with the location of this place, I wouldn't waste your time with TV when you could be exploring!

I had the breakfast while waiting for my room - this was the only part I was less than thrilled with - the breakfast costs extra (2500 ISK, I think) and isn't great. There is lots of variety and everything tastes fine (DO have the sausages and any cheese if they're out as they're excellent), but there are plenty of cafes close by that are delicious, it just depends on whether they're open. That said, if it's early and you want something quick, it's a good option.

Favourite parts of the hotel: The decor (modern without feeling cold and inaccessible), the very friendly staff - it's small enough that the front desk people really remember you if you're friendly, how it looks all lit up at night (gorgeous), and the location.

Cleanliness and comforts were excellent as well, but the hotel's charm and beautiful surroundings are such that those sorts of things don't stand out once they've been satisfied - ya dig?

Definitely a great place to stay in the heart of downtown Reykjavik.

Room Tip: If the first floor doesn't make you nervous (nothing to worry about here, though), it's a ni...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Good location, although we were a bit worried about the lack of parking, this turned out to be quite easy and there was plenty of free spaces on nearby streets. Interesting combination of old building with new parts. Friendly & helpful reception staff. Room was spacious, and clean& comfortable. Just had a shower in the bathroom but this suited us. Breakfast was good with a wide choice of hot and cold foods, possibly the most choice of any hotel we stayed in our 2 week trip around Iceland. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening but we did have a light supper in the bar. This was very acceptable and a pleasant bar to sit in.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank samcat392
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We spent 6 nights in one of the hotels studio apartments over Christmas and it was a great base to explore the city.

The apartment was clean, spacious and cosy, we chose this over a room as we wanted the option of being able to cook meals as we'd heard eating out was expensive. While we didn't cook anything in the end having a fridge and facilities to make a snack was really handy, especially as the apartment was the same price as a room it made sense.

The staff on reception were really helpful and sorted out our requests for none feather pillows and a kettle quickly and efficiently.

Breakfast was tasty and the variety of hot and cold foods meant you had choice over 6 days. We ate in the restaurant on Christmas eve as well and this was a delicious meal, no complaints :)

The hotel is also on the pick up route for the excursions - we used Reykjavik Excursions - tours an be booked from reception and the free WiFi throughout the hotel also useful for making plans.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple