“efficient but impersonal” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
San Francisco, California
“efficient but impersonal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Centrum is located right on the town square, with a decent coffee shop and a small supermarket adjacent to the hotel where you can purchase everyday items. The tourism office is just down the block and there are many great restaurant within a five minute walk. It's easy to book tours at the front desk.....what is there not to like? Two main concerns: the front staff is efficient but impersonal. There're almost no eye contacts and it takes quite a bit of effort before they are willing to offer help or information. The rooms are also located too close to the street so be prepared for early mornings and late nights.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing the back of the hotel may not be as noisy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BWC2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum in April 2014. It was our first time in Iceland, and I picked the hotel based on info provided on TripAdvisor. We needed two rooms that were next to each other or across the hall (travelling with 2 teenagers), and I noted that in my reservation request. The Hotel got us the 2 rooms, and took great care of us.

Our rooms were large and very clean. We took advantage of the breakfast buffet at the hotel and were glad that we did. Service was very good, and breakfast included some hot items (eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc), fruits, yogurts with toppings, coffee and tea.

On the first night, we asked the staff at the front desk to recommend a restaurant that does a great job of showcasing great Icelandic ingredients, and they made reservations for us at the Fish Company. It was a great recommendation - we were very happy with the meal (see separate review).

As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is very centrally located. There is a market a few doors down from the hotel that not only sells groceries, but also has some souvenirs and more practical items (hats, mittens, scarves) that you may need if you did not properly pack. We walked in Reykjavik, and the main street is very close to the hotel, as are many restaurants and the harbor.

We had a small snafu with transportation at one point, and the front desk was great with making a few calls for me (cell phone wasn't working) and letting me receive calls to resolve the issue as well.

I have no hesitation in recommending Hotel Reykjavik Centrum to any travelers to Iceland. Nice accommodations, and friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AutumnHuntress
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We arrived last Wednesday for a five night stay at this very central hotel, check in was very quick and everyone was very helpful. Our room was on the second floor, so we took the lift..... What a shock the room was so tiny, the hanging space was literally less than a foot in width!!!. So I wasn't a happy girl, my husband said it would be okay!!!!! I went down spoke to reception about the tiny room and would it be possible to be moved, they didn't have any other rooms except a suite in the building next door which belongs to them. It was really big beautiful room, decorated in a very modern way, we could have it at no extra cost, so we took it. Everything was new, the bed was so comfy. Our only complaint was the level below was used by the restaurant as storage,prep etc so it was very quiet by day but noise at night was really loud. We ate at both the restaurant and cafe bar
at the Centrum, both really good, the fish and chips in the cafe bar are the best we have ever tasted. The breakfast was first class, the choice of both hot and cold food choice was excellent and plenty of it. You could even get paper cups to take hot drinks out with you. The dining room was always spotless and well run with lots of help, the food was being topped up all the time, so no horrible stale bread or cold hard baked beans, one of the best meals of the day. This was my second trip to Reykjavik and hopefully not my last. I would really recommend this hotel as the situation is great for everything, we booked a tour at the hotel,again this was no problem and took
Just a moment at reception.

Room Tip: If you are staying just a couple of nights the standard rooms( small) would be okay, but I would pay...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tillysmum815
Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I've been to Reykjavik a couple of times and this was my first stay in this hotel.

I was really pleased with the hotel, the rooms are comfy and spacious, the hotel is clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is a big plus, it's located central to the small town, top rated restaurants and good bars.

Breakfast has a nice selection of food and drink, and when it gets too busy, you can use the tables in the bar area (they are set up for this purpose).

The bar is nice, and when I was there it was very quiet. My only one minor grumble is they didn't have a big selection of drinks compared to other hotels I've stayed in. But that wouldn't stop me from staying there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for a short break in March and what the other reviewers on TA say is absolutely true. It is a centrally located hotel in what is a very small city. We ate at the hotel restaurant on our 1st night and the food and service were excellent, particularly the dessert.
I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank EasyTraveller90
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've been to Iceland a couple of times but this was my first stay at the Centrum. I don't think it'll be my last.

Reykjavik is a small city and you can pretty much walk around all of it. You'll find the most central hotels between Laekjargata in the West and Langahlid in the East, they're usually also the more noisy end of Reykjavik though. Go further East, past Kringlumyrabraut, you'll find a couple of bigger hotels with their own parking and all the usual amenities but it's just that little bit too much of a trek into town for me. West of Laekjargata, where the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum is located, is an easy walk to everything you want to see but a more open, quieter area with some of the more upmarket hotels and restaurants.

So, great location, nice area, tick first box. Great room too, had a safe and a fridge, my two personal 'must haves' for a hotel room, plus all the usual amenities for a hotel of this class. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean, which is good, and unobtrusive chambermaid service, also good.

Downsides? No parking, so you have to pay for a public car park or there's plenty of on-street parking in the residential streets about 350M walk away. That's it, really. Breakfast was towards the expensive end, £13, but a nice buffet selection and not that expensive by Icelandic standards where eating out can be pricey. If you want to be picky there was only CNN News in English on the TV but you don't go to Iceland to watch TV. Frankly, I'm struggling to find downsides.

When I go back to Iceland, this'll be my first choice of hotel for my next stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Evan J
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel is centrally located for all the restaurants etc in the capital. Our room for 3 was spacious and nicely decorated and very clean. 2 single beds pushed together and then 1 sleeper sofa.The rest of the hotel is well designed and there is a restaurant on site (we didnt use it) The only negative was that we thought the breakfast could have been better, greasy bacon and cold scrambled eggs and not a good selection of fruit. We found a restaurant called the Laundromat Cafe just 5 mins away that served amazing breakfast selections so wish we had found that on our first day. All in all I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family