“Pleasantly surprised”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the Centrum at the end of April 2014. We mostly only saw the night staff because we were out exploring during the day - they were very helpful and friendly and we got a lot of suggestions and general knowledge answers from them (where the laundromat is and where to get an electric converter). The Centrum is actually three buildings that were renovated and joined into one building inside with the lobby, elevator and stairs in the center building.

We did not encounter a single Icelander that did not speak understandable English.

Yes, it was hot in the room but that is to be expected of a location that heats its structures with thermal heating - so we opened the window. Our room was not overlooking the square so the nightlife noises did not keep us awake. Even at 2:00 am there were kids out in the square still skateboarding but in a country that can get 24 hour daylight in the summer and 24 hour nightime in the winter, I suppose bedtimes based on lighting would not be practical.

The do not use Euros in Iceland - they use the Icelandic Kroner - so if you don't use credit cards, you better get a hold of a lot of their cash.

If you are getting tired of the tourist souvenirs available in the historic center of Reykjavik, a five minute cab ride from the hotel is a shopping mall (Kringlan) that feels just like any other mall with a large anchor store on the end, and a food court on the other end. We never noticed any other tourists at the mall so I dont think it is something that gets pointed out - we went mostly so I could go to the Pandora store.

Our room was in the 'yellow' portion. By European standards our room was large, by North American standards it was okay. I loved the natural wood floor. The bathroom is tiny with no counter space to put your neccesities. Towels were changed daily.

I really liked the way the bedding arrangement is. We had a queen size bed with queen size fitted sheets but on top were two twin size duvets. I have never seen this before and am planning to do this at home. It is great because when 'he' rolled over, the covers did not get pulled off of me, which usually wakes me up!! Best sleep I have had in years. Awesome!

The breakfast buffet is one of the best 'european' buffets I have ever had. I definately did not walk away hungry. I will try to add buffet photos later.

There were two complimentary computers available and one printer. Unfortunately, they were still using XP so surfing is not really an option anymore with so many websites no longer supporting XP, but we were still able to print our boarding passes (after long waits for connections to finish loading)

Under the hotel is the 871+2 Settlement Museum. The site was carbon dated to the year 871, plus or minus 2 years - hence the strange name. There is a glass observation/sun roof just outside the entrance door with a view down into the dig site. The entrance is in the 'yellow' part of the building. It was an interesting little interactive display. Took us about 45 minutes to complete so it was a good little filler while we waited for one of our excursion pickups at the hotel.

Speaking of excursions - there are two larger excursion companies in Reykjavik. One is Greyline and I cant remember the name of the other one. The Greyline office is only 3 or 4 blocks away from the hotel so we used them more often because we could simply walk to the office to wait for our bus. There is nothing to buy nor any amenities at the Greyline office, just 5 or 6 plastic chairs to sit on. The other company has a store at their location where you can get hot food, snacks, water, etc.

The best excursion in my opinion is the Geysir/Gullfoss Waterfall excursion. The Geysir is fascinating to watch as it builds up a big bulge before it blows and your anticipation builds with it. The food at the Geysir restaurant was like a nice home cooked meal. The waterfall is a short 10 or 15 minute drive from the Geysir. The waterfall is very impressive and my husband and I had a lively discussion whether it is more impressive than Niagara or not - I think it is.

Our next trip to Europe with a stay in Iceland will include another stay at the Centrum.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the square since Icelanders stay up all hours of the night
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chocholic_37
Write a ReviewReviews (1,816)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed a week back end of May/early June. Hotel is very conveniently situated just off the main square. It combines new and old architecture very well. Our room was very good but the old TV seemed rather out of place (not that there is anything to watch!!). Staff were very pleasant and extremely helpful.
There is just one reason I would not book this hotel again, they serve whale meat in the restaurant. The only way we can stop this barbaric killing is to boycott all establishments that promote it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kypros
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was a bit put off by the name as Central Hotels in other cities do not always have the best location or reputation. This was different. Lovely looking hotel inside and out. I was concerned by the Salvation Army building across the street. Don't be...no sign of anyone for two nites. Great location for walking the city, dining and nightlife. Very accommodating staff who did all possible to find us reservations at recommended restaurants. Checking checkout was quick and easy. Room was very comfortable and had everything we needed,
..wifi, TV with satellite, hair dryer, coffee maker, fridge, iron. Tour pickups well organized. Bathroom may have been a tad small but I enjoyed size of room. Definitely noy the Hotel Centrum I thought, and yes, would go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scottie799
Reviewed 1 July 2014

You are right in the middle of the town. Rooms are of average size and amenities what can be expected, nothing fancy but quite ok. There is a coffee/tea cooker. The tv is on the small side and the number of channels inferior. Sky news was the only one I could enjoy. The rooms are very warm and I could not find any regulator. Breakfast was good including both salmon and herring. The bacon was over-fried in my taste. There is a fairly large bar which never was crowded. Service was good and you could also have a meal there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ugurd
Reviewed 26 June 2014

- Perfect location in Reykjavik
- Lovely view from the luxury suite room
- Bathrooms ridiculously small
- No minibar (I like water! Sure, you can use a tap, but how about cold water?)
- No 24 hour room service
- 3 star service at best
- But the staff are very friendly and helpful.
- Excellent view from the luxury suite room!

Room Tip: The largest suite was our room. Don't bother! It's not worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, both entering and leaving the country for our 10 day stay in February 2014.

Our check in procedure was a bit tedious, in that there was a mixup with our booking agent and the hotel; after about 45mins, this was resolved, and the hotel gave us free breakfast that day to due to the mix up (we arrived in the morning, we would not have been entitled to breakfast on that day).

We stayed in two different rooms at the beginning and end of our travels. The first room was upstairs; it was on par with nicer travelers' hotels. The bathrooms are adequate (European style, not North American style). The second room we stayed in, which was downstairs and to the left off the lobby (past the business center) was noisier, as the window faced the street, and the Icelanders like to party outside, into the night, no matter how late or how cold it is. If you are looking for a good night's sleep, do request a room that does not face the street!

The breakfast was very good. Hot and cold items, skyr, eggs, sausages, juices etc. I do agree with other reviewers, there is a bit of a "rush" for breakfast in the morning. Do allow yourself extra time to accommodate for this.

The hotel is very well located. It is a pickup location for many tour groups/operators. It is also easy to walk to pretty much anywhere you would want to see or visit in Reykjavik.

Would I stay here again? Despite the check in process, the answer is yes.

Room Tip: If you need to get a good night's rest, certainly request a room NOT facing the street. Iceland...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Xine14
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

As professional travel writers, we have concerns about the unpublished check in procedures at this hotel.

On arrival we were asked for our credit card. Since we paid in advance for all our accommodation and excursions months ago, we simply brought cash as we are not people who run up credit. We brought krone for our trip and were asked to hand over 20,000 krone as insurance for the room! You know, the room we paid for in full months ago!!! We were asked for euros, we are English, why would we carry euros? Eventually we handed over £100 sterling but were told they did not give receipts!

We arrived before check in so haven't actually seen our room yet but we can't help but wonder what type of clientele this hotel attracts if they need to take monies as insurance on the rooms.

My husband and I are used to staying in hotels where guests were trusted, so early days but doubt we will stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014