“Fabulous!”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Great hotel! The front desk staff was SO patient and helpful with our seemingly endless requests. Wonderful location. While a little too old to participate in the local night life ourselves, we enjoyed watching the young people streaming by our window on Saturday night. This hotel is right in the heart of things!

Room Tip: The top floor apparently has a sky light instead of typical windows, so I'm glad we did not have...
1  Thank crozet
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik

Reviewed 3 August 2012

The good: The hotel's location is great. The staff is pleasant, but a little distant. The beds are better than most. And, yes, I had a view of the famous hot dog stand where Bill Clinton dined from my room. And the spectacular new Opera House There is also a well equipped gym and decent, free WIFI. You have a k-cup coffee maker in your room, which is important because....
There is no breakfast included. This is not a big deal, as there are many places to eat within one block of the place.

The biggest negative I have is more an issue of marketing and price. The hotel is really a pleasant, well apportioned tourist hotel. Its staff acts as such. But it tries to make itself into more. I guess at the prices they charge they feel they have too. For this reason, I would probably look into somewhere else to stay on my next trip to Reykjavik.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view
1  Thank idbinnyc
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This old hotel has elegance. A mix of minimalism and warm materials to create a beautiful old world hotel. It sits right down town next to the port and shopping area. Its neighbour is the world famous hotdog stand where Bill Clinton dinned.
Upon arrival at 7am from a flight from Canada the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They give suggestions on how to pass the day as your room will not be ready until 2pm. A common occurrence for North American travelers. After a day of wandering the city I was wakened in the lobby at 1:30pm by the desk staff to the news that the room was ready. No fault of the hotel, that is just the way it is if they have a full house.
My room was on the fourth floor in the attic portion? No windows to see out of but two skylights instead. Very claustrophobic with the slanted ceiling there to bang your head on.
This was arranged through my tour company so may be worthwhile inquiring what room you have reserved.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Street noise was a bit on the loud side, from traffic in the am but I never heard any partying drunks. Time change and exhaustion may have had something to do with that :)
Breakfast was very good. The best one we had in the eight days we traveled Iceland. We thought this was going to be the norm but at other places we were very disappointed. Coffee, eggs, bacon, sausages, fruit etc all top quality at the Blu 1919. In the evening the bar lounge is very cozy and upscale.
Something to think about if you are not a hardy traveler would be to take a room for the day before you arrive as well as on arrival. The sleep at 7am is well worth the price and the breakfast too. The lobby was full of North Americans snoozing away waiting for 2pm.
I would not hesitate to stay there again. Not on the fourth floor however.

Room Tip: Beware the cramped attic fourth floor rooms without windows. Skylights only.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Grant_on_holiday
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I felt that I made a good hotel choice with this hotel. I was especially pleased when we were checked in upon arrival because after an early morning flight this was really appreciated. Less appreciated was the fact that the room wasn't really cleaned properly before our arrival - previous guest's towels still laying on the bathroom floor, dirty glasses, dirty sock on the floor. I received an apology from the front desk when this was pointed out and the room was clean when I returned. I was really impressed with some of the front desk staff and how attentive they were. I asked for an electrical adapter on my way to breakfast one morning and Kwami (not positive on the name) provided me with the adapter and charged my phone while I was at breakfast. He then asked about our tour for the day and called and confirmed it for us. In fact, all the front desk staff were very helpful, he just stood out.

Also not to be beat is the location as the hotel seems to be in close proximity to everything. I initially considered the Hilton but decided against is because it was located out of the downtown area. After dropping people off there, I was happy with my decision because there didn't seem to be much in the neighbourhood directly around the hotel.

We didn't have any issue with noise but then our room looked out on to nothing. Our window faced another building, providing no view at all.

All in all, I thought that I made a good choice with this hotel and I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank beachgoes_8
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed at 1919 Radisson Blu and my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it. The location is great as is is in the heart of the city near everything you need. The staff was professional and friendly, happy to assist us with all sort of things. The breakfast was good and we also enjoyed having a drink at the hotel's bar.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evamaria4
Reviewed 10 July 2012

For those of you traveling to Iceland for the first time, take note and google 5 star hotels in Iceland. There are none. However, we think this hotel in one of the top 5 in the country. Hotel has good solid facilities, clean rooms, good food selection and great location. The staff are very attentive and quickly took care of one minor problem we had and then upgraded us to a suite on our return visit. The only downside is lack of air conditioning which is typical of Iceland. Believe it or not, there are times even in Iceland when you need air conditioning or proper ventilation in the room and some of the rooms can get hot. In summary - highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown reykjavik, yet absolutely calm which was great. Curtains are opaque enough, so we could really sleep; something very precious end of june in iceland!!!

Staff at the front desk were very helpful in proposing/booking immediately good restaurants, and were generaly very helpful. Regret the absence of a bathtub in the room, but the rest was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple