“Great hotel right in the heart of Reykjavik”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Great boutique hotel right in the heart of downtown Reykjavik. The service was awesome, the rooms, basic but well appointed, the breakfast spread amazing and the location perfect. This is hotel is not overly glitzy, but clean, comfy, and a great location. It's a bit smaller, boutique-like, but that is part of the charm. It can get a bit noisy at night, especially on the weekends, as Reykjavik has a robust night life in the summer. so bring a pair of ear plugs. Very comfy beds and nice bathrooms, and the breakfast spread is top notch. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Msp07
Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed 6 August 2012

What a wonderful hotel. Situated in the centre of Reykjavik, close to the little harbour and all the restaurants, bars etc. Shopping in Iceland is perfect and this hotel is perfect in every way. The public rooms through to the guest rooms were all very well appointed, modern and contemporary.The bar is a must and so are the cocktails served, my wife enjoyed a "grasshopper"! On the final evening of our stay we dined in the hotel restaurant, the service we received was also, perfect, allowing us to truly unwind and relax over dinner after a hard day sightseeing! Iceland is an amazing country and a must to visit, however, quite expensive tho!! We also enjoyed seeing the spectacular aurora borealis!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smokeyrolo
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Wonderful stay at hotel,very good location, except for a prestigious little hot dog stand outside our window that stays open until 5:00am. Must be all that is open in town because he has 5-10people in line all day and all night. Very noisy from 12:00-5:00 am. I went out and had a hot dog and excepted that as part of my experience. The hotel staff was very good and helpful.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Great hotel! The front desk staff was SO patient and helpful with our seemingly endless requests. Wonderful location. While a little too old to participate in the local night life ourselves, we enjoyed watching the young people streaming by our window on Saturday night. This hotel is right in the heart of things!

Room Tip: The top floor apparently has a sky light instead of typical windows, so I'm glad we did not have...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crozet
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The good: The hotel's location is great. The staff is pleasant, but a little distant. The beds are better than most. And, yes, I had a view of the famous hot dog stand where Bill Clinton dined from my room. And the spectacular new Opera House There is also a well equipped gym and decent, free WIFI. You have a k-cup coffee maker in your room, which is important because....
There is no breakfast included. This is not a big deal, as there are many places to eat within one block of the place.

The biggest negative I have is more an issue of marketing and price. The hotel is really a pleasant, well apportioned tourist hotel. Its staff acts as such. But it tries to make itself into more. I guess at the prices they charge they feel they have too. For this reason, I would probably look into somewhere else to stay on my next trip to Reykjavik.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank idbinnyc
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This old hotel has elegance. A mix of minimalism and warm materials to create a beautiful old world hotel. It sits right down town next to the port and shopping area. Its neighbour is the world famous hotdog stand where Bill Clinton dinned.
Upon arrival at 7am from a flight from Canada the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They give suggestions on how to pass the day as your room will not be ready until 2pm. A common occurrence for North American travelers. After a day of wandering the city I was wakened in the lobby at 1:30pm by the desk staff to the news that the room was ready. No fault of the hotel, that is just the way it is if they have a full house.
My room was on the fourth floor in the attic portion? No windows to see out of but two skylights instead. Very claustrophobic with the slanted ceiling there to bang your head on.
This was arranged through my tour company so may be worthwhile inquiring what room you have reserved.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Street noise was a bit on the loud side, from traffic in the am but I never heard any partying drunks. Time change and exhaustion may have had something to do with that :)
Breakfast was very good. The best one we had in the eight days we traveled Iceland. We thought this was going to be the norm but at other places we were very disappointed. Coffee, eggs, bacon, sausages, fruit etc all top quality at the Blu 1919. In the evening the bar lounge is very cozy and upscale.
Something to think about if you are not a hardy traveler would be to take a room for the day before you arrive as well as on arrival. The sleep at 7am is well worth the price and the breakfast too. The lobby was full of North Americans snoozing away waiting for 2pm.
I would not hesitate to stay there again. Not on the fourth floor however.

Room Tip: Beware the cramped attic fourth floor rooms without windows. Skylights only.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Grant_on_holiday
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I felt that I made a good hotel choice with this hotel. I was especially pleased when we were checked in upon arrival because after an early morning flight this was really appreciated. Less appreciated was the fact that the room wasn't really cleaned properly before our arrival - previous guest's towels still laying on the bathroom floor, dirty glasses, dirty sock on the floor. I received an apology from the front desk when this was pointed out and the room was clean when I returned. I was really impressed with some of the front desk staff and how attentive they were. I asked for an electrical adapter on my way to breakfast one morning and Kwami (not positive on the name) provided me with the adapter and charged my phone while I was at breakfast. He then asked about our tour for the day and called and confirmed it for us. In fact, all the front desk staff were very helpful, he just stood out.

Also not to be beat is the location as the hotel seems to be in close proximity to everything. I initially considered the Hilton but decided against is because it was located out of the downtown area. After dropping people off there, I was happy with my decision because there didn't seem to be much in the neighbourhood directly around the hotel.

We didn't have any issue with noise but then our room looked out on to nothing. Our window faced another building, providing no view at all.

All in all, I thought that I made a good choice with this hotel and I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family