“Good efficient hotel ”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
“Good efficient hotel ”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

This was a perfectly well run, efficient hotel with pleasant staff, good quality breakfasts & a well stocked bar. It was not remarkably good or bad just what you'd expect from a decent international hotel. Tour buses picked up from reception & there were a number of good restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wandagold
ROMI1919, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Wandagold,

Thank you for your review of the Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel. We are glad to hear your stay was enjoyable!

Best wishes,

Robyn Phaedra Mitchell
Dir. of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Northport, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Blu 1919 in November 2013. It was a long weekend trip. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was told that our room was not ready. As we arrived around 8am, this was not unreasonable. Having flown overnight, I was overjoyed when we were able to check in approximately an hour later. Remember that most flights arrive early in the morning so have some patience, as everyone is trying to do the same thing that you are.

The room was perfect for two travelers. Clean, comfortable and spacious. It was also very clean.

Though the hotel's location is quite convenient for sightseeing, it is EXTREMELY noisy at night as the bars stay open really late. It's no different from any other city in that regard. Bring ear plugs!

If you visit Iceland this time of year, you only have about 6-7 hours of daylight to work with, so get out there and see the country! I made the mistake of sleeping away my first day.

Breakfast was included and it's quite good. Fresh fruit, yogurt, waffles, scrambled eggs, etc. The times are convenient as well. I believe it runs for four hours.

My one gripe is that we were told our Northern Lights tour was cancelled due to bad weather. We happened to walk by the tour office that night and saw the lines for the buses. I believe the cancellation was from another tour company that I had tried to book with but it was not made clear which company was cancelling. As it turns out, we did not see the Northern Lights but I would have been quite disappointed if they had and we missed them. I believe it was a simple misunderstanding but I was surprised given the otherwise helpful and organized front desk staff.

I plan on returning to Iceland this summer. I would definitely stay at the 1919 again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OceanJane
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review on your stay here with us at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel!
I am delighted to see we managed to make your stay enjoyable and that you found our services convenient and our team friendly.
We know many of our guests arrive early morning, so we do our best in having the rooms clean and ready as soon as we can. Since check out is not until noon, we are not able to guarantee early check in. Our guests do have the option of reserving the room one day before in order to make sure it is ready upon arrival.

Most tour operators use a Aurora forecast from the Icelandic Met office for planning the Northern Light trips. If the forecast states no Northern Light usually all of the operators will be cancelling the trips. We will for the future see what we can do better to get the most accurate information for our guests.

Again, thank you for the fantastic feedback and for choosing to stay at our property during your visit to Reykjavik.
We look very much forward to welcome you back in summer!

Frode Jansson & 1919 Team
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great location and modern hotel but the air con didn't work at night so we were forced to open a window which meant we had a bad night sleep due to the street noise and listening to everyone drunk and stumbling back from the bars up the road.

Clean but small room and breakfast wasn't included. On the upside it's right opposite an awesome hot dog stand and is right in the centre of town. I would have given it 5 if the air con worked.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clea700
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review based on your stay here with us.

I am sorry you experienced your room to be to warm and that it was not possible to regulate the temperature without opening the window. We will certainly go over the system to make sure all rooms have fresh and cool air. Being situated in Iceland, this is not a frequent issue but the systems should work nevertheless.

We know that not all our guests have time to sit down and enjoy our Super Breakfast Buffet, and we therefore give the option to reserve the room with or without breakfast. If you reserve a room without breakfast, you are of course most welcome to add this during your stay.

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the issue with the warm room and I hope we get the opportunity to welcom you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, modern decor and centrally located. Downside to the central location is the noise - if you like to sleep don't stay in the centre. Was only there for the weekend but both nights were very noisy all night as the bars pump out music and don't stop til around 5am. We were upgraded to a junior suite but if we had paid for it I would have been disappointed - it was a nice enough standard room to me. Also decor was showing serious wear and tear in places. Breakfast was nice and staff in restaurant were excellent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Victoria B
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
Reykjavik is famous for its night life, which we do encourage everyone visiting to experience. For our guests who prefers a quiet night, we do have rooms in quieter locations of the building.

I am happy you enjoyed the service and food provided by our excellent team and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I along with three friends visited Reykjavik, as a 50th birthday celebration for two of them, and we picked the Radisson Blu as our hotel, and i am very pleased we did.
From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left the staff were the epitome of respectful helpful delight.
The rooms were clean and bright and plenty big enough for two sharing.
The location of the hotel was central to exploring Reykjavik which was perfect as we could always return to warm up !
The reception staff always made sure our pick ups were confirmed for our trips, and although we sadly didnt see the Northern lights it wasnt through lack of trying
and finally we wanted to say a big thank you to one of the receptionists Daniel, who after we returned from a late boat trip cold and wet, made sure we had hot choclate to warm us up
id have no hesitation in recommending the Radisson Blu 1919

Room Tip: We had a harbour view room, which actually overlooked the street, but which was better than the othe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your great review from your stay with here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.

The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose our hotel while you and your friends were in Reykajvik.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

easton md
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The staff was amazing and so very helpful. The location was perfect to see the city on foot. The restaurant and bar were very good both food and service. The only problem was late night noise from the outside party goers on the weekend nights. Ask for high up rooms if possible. Again, the hotel staff was so very helpful and they made the trip worth it all.

Room Tip: Ask for High up as the weekends involve drunken people outside until wee hours of the night. Great...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out from a busy schedule to share your experience here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.
I am very happy to see that our team managed to make your stay enjoyable and that the food and drinks was to your liking.
In the weekends there is many locals going out and creating the famous Reykjavik night life and we encourage everyone to join the locals.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Trstenik, Croatia
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights whilst on business in Reykjavik as well as doing some sightseeing.

The hotel's location couldn't be better; in the middle of the city and very close to the harbour, only a couple of minutes' walk away from the Harpa conference hall and Sculpture & Shore Walk.

Check-in was prompt & efficient. My Concierge level membership of Carlson Rezidor's loyalty scheme was recognised and the room upgraded to a junior suite.

The room was a good size, particularly for a Scandinavian hotel where the rooms are usually on the compact size, with a very high ceiling. This coupled with the lighter paintwork and wood-panelled floor gave the room a nice airy feel. There was a good amount of lighting in the room, although not as many different reading & work lights as one might have wanted, especially over the work desk and the sitting area.

As you would expect in a hotel this far north, there were excellent curtains with at least types of coverage, to ensure blackout conditions in the summer months for a good night's sleep.

The bed was the usual Radisson standard; soft but supportive, with individual duvets on each side and very comfortable & supportive pillows. It aided a good night's sleep on both nights.

There was a sitting area with sofa, armchairs and table. The sofa was firm but again supportive and comfortable for sitting on whilst reading, even if there could have perhaps been a little more direct lighting.

There was a decent size work desk and massive wardrobe next to it, with plenty of storage space. On the wall was a good size flat screen TV with what looked-like various Scandinavian channels as well as some international ones, such as CNBC and BBC World.

The bathroom was fine; a walk-in shower that was a good size and had a shower unit that adjusted very well for height (being 6'4" I was able to stand under it easily without having to bend down at all) and had lots of hot water and very good water pressure. The basin was a bit on the small size and more suited to just washing your hands rather than washing your face.

On the downside, whilst there was a Nespresso machine with choice of capsules, there were no espresso size cups, only coffee cups. You could fit the cup under the nozzle OK but had no idea how long to keep the button pressed to dispense an espresso cup's worth of coffee into a large cup. There also wasn't any iPod/USB docking station. In a higher grade room of a premium brand hotel, I'd suggest that this is now an expectation of many guests if for no other reason than it charges the device when docked and many of us will identify with having left those proprietary Apple cables at home when you go abroad (or in the glovebox of the car when unplugging the device from there) and being unable to charge the device up.

I've also been spoiled by the incredible A/V system in Radisson Blu Plaza in Helsinki (reviewed previously) that allows you to connect just about any device by any means (Bluetooth, USB, RCA, HDMI) and stream it through the hi-fi speakers mounted on the wall. My advice to the hotel would be to install a similar system here, if only in the business/executive class rooms and increase the room rate accordingly to recoup the investment.

The other downside item was that there wasn't - or at least if there was, I couldn't find it - any climate control for the room. The very effective radiators could be adjusted but that just made it less warm. Granted, in Reykjavik in November, you probably want to be warmer rather than cooler but I would have expected some form of aircon unit, if only to dry the air when you get back in wet & sweaty from having been out on a glacier.

Housekeeping came to make up the room on the second day when I was working in it and I have to say they were very efficient, in terms of the speed with which they cleaned the room and the attention to detail. It's a bête noire of mine when you've half used a shower gel - and left it in the shower - but housekeeping don't replace it with a new on on the little stand of toiletries next to the basin. Kind of like "you can't have a new one until you've finished that one". As a consequence it has become a kind of benchmark for quality; if the hotel refreshes all the toiletries, regardless of which ones I may be using, it's a good sign. Pleased to say that they did this here, as well as refilled the tissues box that I hadn't noticed I'd used the last one (another benchmark for quality - again, how often have you been into a hotel bathroom to see the built-in tissue dispenser empty?).

As a result of the desire to see as much of the city & surroundings as possible, I spent little time in the rest of the hotel and so didn't get the chance to sample the bar and restaurant for dinner. I did have breakfast on both mornings and it was excellent; the usual Radisson Super Breakfast Buffet, with a wide range of different choices including lots of local produce. The smoked salmon was superb and the local cheese - piparostur - is gorgeous. A hard cheese coated in pepper that is fabulous on rye bread. There was plenty of fruit juice on offer as well as generous sized cafetieres of coffee; the local coffee is quite strong and sticky but when it's blowing a force 7 outside (to which the locals don't even bat an eyelid, I think anything less than force 10 is a mere breeze), you appreciate the strength of the coffee after you've drunk it.

Service in the restaurant was very attentive and friendly on both mornings. My experience of Icelanders, like other Scandinavians, is they are not very animated (the opposite of Southern Europe). Instead they are very pragmatic and calm; I think the reason for this is that everything works here as it should do, so there is no need to get stressed at all. All the staff I encountered - front desk, breakfast and housekeeping - were like this, as well as being friendly, helpful and polite.

I paid £339 Sterling converted for two nights which is good value and certainly less than the equivalent cost of a similar hotel in central London, despite Icelandic prices in general being slightly more expensive than the UK.

I would stay again without any hesitation. Looking on the Tripadvisor listing for hotels in Reykjavik, there seem to be quite a few self-catering apartments in the upper rankings and this perhaps distorts the position of the full service hotels. As I write, this hotel is ranked 16th out of 51 hotels for the city but with several apartments above it, without which it would probably be a top ten ranking which I think is better deserves.

There is nothing wrong with apartments but they aren't full service and so perhaps shouldn't be compared like-for-like. As an example, having stayed over in Oslo before I came to Reykjavik, I discovered I was running low of some clothes, so I needed some laundry done. Being a full service hotel with its own laundry service, I was able to get a shirt & some underwear done same day. This kind of facility is why you select a hotel over an apartment.

In the guest services book, the hotel describes itself as a 4-star property and that is spot on. It certainly earns a solid 4 circles on here for providing a high quality overall guest experience.

In my opinion, it is not that far from 5 circles but for a couple of the issues I highlighted above. With a little more equipment in the room, this hotel could genuinely differentiate itself from the competition as being the best in Reykjavik.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Propaganda_Machine
Dear Guest,

Initially, I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback and description of your 2 night stay here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.
I am delighted to learn you enjoyed our services and felt recognized as a Club Carlson Concierge Member. We value our loyal guests to great extent and do our outmost to make you feel at home while travelling on business.

Our Housekeeping department train and work hard to combine efficiency with attention to detail in their daily work. It´s in the simple things like making sure you don´t run out of soap or tissue paper we can fail or succeed.
Your note on having a AV system which allows our guests to charge phones, tablets etc while also playing music is duly noted and we are looking to implement this in some of the executive rooms during 2014. For now, our guests can borrow chargers at the Front Desk if they have forgotten theirs.

I am very grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me. The front desk would be happy to connect you to my office.