“Location Convenient BUT NOISY at night, Gravely DISAPPOINTED”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Location: I chose this property in light of the location just next to the Airport Express bus stop and in close proximity to restaurants, old Harbor, HARPA, art gallery and city hall. we stayed for Fri and Sat. two nights before heading on a 8-day tour. At night from 230am - 5am
rowdy people on the streets were jeering, yelling and fighting. Can't sleep at all. From 530am on it gets quiet again.
I complained to the staff about the noise, I was brushed off by the excuse hotel is in city center=(
didn't offer to change room, 2nd day upon return from day tour , front desk staff coldly answered hotel was full -- I doubted for I didn't see that many guests in and out.
I am not a light sleeper, but the rowdy noise for two nights is intolerable, esp we had to head out 7 am for the day tour.

Room: Our room is on the 3rd floor facing the side street, it was intolerably noisy, not from music , it was like fighting, two gangs charging at each other. Front desk staff do not care if guests deserve a quiet night rest during holiday.

Amenities are standard. clean and modern room. The twin bed is narrow.
No bottle water provided since they claim tap water is quality drinkable.

Service - Awful. and cold. After the first night, the second day late pm upon our return -- our beds were not made up, dirty towels were cleared away but NOT replaced with fresh towels. I called and went to front desk to complain. Staff was not surprised and not apologetic at all, she just passed me sets of clean towels instead. I have not seen hotel at this grade, at times, no staff manning the Front Desk.

We requested a dinner reservation at the Fish Market, but table was booked at Fish Company that we were not informed. Fortunately, Fish market Staff helped us to call to find out our table was at Fish Company.

Breakfast: 17Euro the breakfast spread is not that great. Very limited hot items.
The soft-boiled eggs are the best.
Teabag is of very low quality.

To conclude: this is my first stay with any Radisson. I supposed Radisson Blu is the lux line of Radisson, as an avid traveler, I have never been in such noisy 4* hotel.
There are many choices in Reykjavik, given the rate is high for Radisson Blu 1919, I still think I could have better and quiet choices in a central location.

I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms facing the front and the side street e.g 304 306 308, .... are intolerable noisy. Ask the st...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank yrtx4e
RadissonBlu1919, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and post your review.

When reading your review I see that there are some area´s for us to improve in our service. I do hope that you took this up before checking out of the hotel or that we could do something for you and implement our 100% Guest Satisfaction. I will inform my team and go over your notes as we do strive to give our guests the best service possible.

Please feel free to contact me if you ever return to Reykjavik and to our hotel,
all the best,
Soffia S. Pálsdóttir and the 1919 team.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Conveniently located downtown near the water and near the areas top bars including the Laundromat Cafe. Staff is very friendly, but don't expect curbside luggage pickup. We were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor with was huge and dark, which is critical in the summer. The bathroom included a jacuzzi tub. Free wifi. Parking is not at the hotel, but just across the street.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and post your review.

I see that you liked your stay with us and specially the size of the room and it´s location on the 5th floor. We do have parking specifically for the hotel and it´s guest, perhaps they where not available during your stay as the city of Reykjavik needed to close them during their renovations in the streets.

All the best,
Soffia S. Pálsdóttir and the 1919 team.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for three nights. It's a pretty hotel, and it was adequate, but not great.

What we liked:
-- good blackout curtains
-- good central location
-- there is cheap public parking across the street (do not pay the exorbitant amount that the hotel charges for one of its three spaces)
-- free wifi

What we didn't like:
-- the area is quite noisy in the evenings and early mornings, and since the rooms tend to get hot, and you need a window open, it means you're hearing a lot of noise.
-- service is perfunctory at best. not much of a concierge.
-- they do not change the sheets, and they did not empty our garbage in the bathroom (yuck) for two days.
-- rooms are small
-- beds are soft (we prefer firmer mattresses)

One recommendation: Go to the Laundry Cafe (one block away) for breakfast instead of paying the very expensive breakfast price at the hotel. Better yet, go to the Sandholt Bakery. It's a little far to walk, but they have the most amazing bread, including Danish pastries and croissants.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ykwriter
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel based on your stay. Good black out curtains is a must when we have the sun shining 24 hours and we do know our guests enjoy the complimentary WiFi.

We offer 24 hour parking in one of our 3 parking places outside the entrance for EUR 22,5 which can be reserved in advance.
There is also the option for our guests of parking in the public parking area which is about EUR 20,- per 24 hours.

I am very sorry to learn we did not take out the garbage from the bathroom which is part of our daily cleaning routine.
To do our part of taking care of the environment and save water and pollution, we change the bed sheets on request/need of our guests.

We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations for our future guests.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back if your travels brings you to Reykjavik in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hotel exceeded our expectations. Centrally located within five minutes of most of the nice high end restaurants and walking areas. The rooms were spacious with nice modern functional furniture. The bed was very comfortable with cozy sheets and soft pillows. The black out curtains made sleeping easy even during Iceland's 24 hours sunlight. The view was not great but at least the room was located in a quiet area so we didn't hear any street noise at all. The common areas of the hotel were clean and nicely maintained. The breakfast buffet was amazing with lot of wonderful, healthy choices as well as the standard eggs, bacon, etc...The Staff was super friendly, extremely helpful and accommodating. All of our needs were met and more. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to enjoy Reykjavik.

Room Tip: We didn't have a view but it was super quiet. We were in room 210 and really enjoyed our stay. O...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ruby,

Thank you so much for this great review of your stay here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik.

Reading your positive comments about the service you received makes me truly happy and I know my team will as well when I share it with them.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay . The staff is great and very helpful. Our room included a wonderful breakfast each morning. The hotel has very nice amenities for its guests. A coffee machine in the lobby, as well as fresh fruit and bottles of water. Our room was fine, though noisy at night and lacked drawer space. Wi-Fi is included, which is nice. The location was excellent. We walked to dinner each night and were in the heart of the shopping area. It was a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Ellen,

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel while you were in Reykjavik. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Overall positive stay. Towels were not exchanged after the first night, were left wet in the bathroom which we found odd. That was the only flaw, otherwise the quality and location were very good. Everything is expensive in Iceland, this hotel is no different. The area is amazing to visit!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
2  Thank Scott J

Dear Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great feedback about your stay in Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel while visiting Reykjavik.

I do apologize for the towels not being replaced on the second day, and I do hope this got fixed quickly when you notified us.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Arrived early and parked our car across the street in the public car park, charges applicable between 10:00-18:00, otherwise free. The hotel was full so we couldn't check in until 14:00 which was fine as they could store our luggage while we went for lunch. The hotel is well located in the heart of Reykjavik. There was some construction work being done to a road/pavement next to the hotel which was very noisy during the day but fine come the evening. Our room was on the third floor and was quiet basic and stark. The room had an entry way that could be shut off from the bedroom, the hall had a large closet off it which also housed a small safe, iron and ironing board. The wooden floor could have been cleaner - felt gritty under bare feet and socks got a bit grubby. The bathroom was tiny and only had a shower, no bath, which wasn't a problem for us. Oddly, the shower stall was completely tiled, including the floor. It reminded me of public swimming baths and the grout was suffering from constant use and never really drying out - I wouldn't say it was dirty particularly but didn't look clean like a shower tray would. Great to be able to get really good quality drinking water from the tap in the bathroom. The bedroom itself had a very basic desk and chair. A kettle and complimentary tea, coffee etc was provided. Free wi-fi was available in the room and it had a flat screen TV. Double black out curtains meant the room was nice and dark at night (as it stayed light outside all night!). Our room was on a busy street and consequently was quite noisy into the small hours. Best way to beat that is to join in and have a few of the excellent local craft beers. Can definitely recommend the 11.5% Nr. 19 Iceland stout served at nearby Cafe Paris - knocks you out a treat!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dromomaniacs

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay with us.
I appreciate the feedback and we will use it to make sure that our future guests will have a special stay.
Our location is great, and I am happy to share that the new pedestrian streets around the hotel is now finalized, so there is no more noise from construction work.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to us in the near future.