Baldursbra Guesthouse
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$233
US$230
Fosshotel Baron(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$218
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$345
US$319
Hilton
Reykjavik Lights by Keahotels(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$367
Hotel Laxnes(Mosfellsbaer)
US$244
US$231
Priceline
All reviewsshared bathroomhot tubbreadbsi bus terminalguest house isfriendly hostsother guestsboiled eggsminute walkroom was clean and comfortableskyrcold cutsexcellent breakfastdowntown reykjavikthird floorherringevelyn
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just stayed there for 5 nights with my g/f. Place was wonderful and in the center of everything in Reykjavik. Evelyne the owner was great. She helped us book tours and gave us some great advice on where to go and where NOT to go. The guesthouse was quite nice with very comfortable beds. Though bathrooms are shared, that wasn't a problem at ALL. I would HIGHLY recommend Baldursbra to ANYONE!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SKCYCLES
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I am sure that the owners are friendly to those who are staying here. However, the woman who apparently runs the place was horrifyingly rude, even mean, to us. We were dropped off in front of this Guesthouse by Iceland Excursions; I and my husband were under the impression it was like a bus stop and that we could proceed from there to where we are staying, which is nearby. Much to my surprise, a woman ran out of the Baldursbra Guesthouse, yelling at us. I wish this were an exaggeration--it was a very distressing and upsetting experience. I'm still shaking (literally trembling) a bit because of it. She repeatedly demanded to know where we were staying, yelling that the stop was only for her Guesthouse. Presumably this is true, and it was our mistake, but we had absolutely no idea that this was the case, and treating us so poorly seems hardly justified under the circumstances. I cannot attest, obviously, as to what it is like staying at this Guesthouse, but I would caution anyone against it. I found it appalling that someone working in tourism would treat newly arrived tourists in this fashion. I will be registering a complaint with Tourism Iceland, certainly, but in the meantime, since I have relied on Trip Advisor so consistently in the past, I thought that others should know about this problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank PCC35
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and 18 year old son stayed for 3 nights at the Baldursbra Guesthouse and liked it so much that a few weeks later, my husband and I and our 17 year old daughter returned for another three nights. The location of the Guesthouse is absolutely perfect -- just down the street from the American Embassy (not that we needed to go there) and a quick and charming <10 minute walk from the shopping and restaurant area of Reykjavik. I can't say enough about the colorful and beautiful city of Reykjavik. Coming from Paris (which we loved, but which is rather drab) Iceland was a burst of color. Evelyne and Philipe were excellent hosts. She booked us a last minute trip to the Blue Lagoon and a Golden Circle tour, even though everything was full when I called. She also made sure we connected with the FlyBus. The room was spotless and roomy for the 3 of us. The shared bathroom was also clean and large. Breakfast was great. I will definitely return to Iceland and definitely stay at the Baldursbra again.

Room Tip: If there are 3 of you, the attic room on the right as you go up the stairs (can't remember the name of it) was very large.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights on our first trip to Iceland. It proved to be a friendly and homely base, and ideally situated in the quiet and leafy heart of Reykjavik, only 10 minutes walk to the centre of town, and its restaurants, museums, shopping, harbour area etc.

There are about 8 bedrooms so having only shared bathrooms - that had been a bit of a concern for us - never turned out to be an issue, with sufficient facilities on each floor for everyone, and all kept very clean. Our room - which also has its own washbasin - was simple but comfortably furnished, with daily cleaning, towel change etc.

The ground floor has a small reception area, bigger sitting room leading to the dining room where breakfast is served. All very welcoming and characterful, lots of information, books, maps and guides on Iceland, that were very useful. Breakfast is served from about 7.30 to 10.00, including muesli, Icelandic Skyr yogurt, fruit, bread, toast, cold meats, cheese, eggs etc, good coffee and tea, so a great start to the day, and a good place to meet other guests, share trip ideas etc if you wanted to.

Mindful of Nordic dining out costs, we also brought some food with us from the UK, and bought Skyr, fruit etc from local shops that could be kept in the communal fridge. The kitchen is mostly geared for "guesthouse owner use", so don't expect to be able to knock up a "proper" cooked meal, but there's a microwave guests can use and it worked out very well for us. Self service tea/coffee was freely available all day, great for short back to base rest-ups during the day.

Special mention must be given to Evelyn and Phillipe, who were very welcoming and helpful - when we had doubts on tour pick-ups etc she would call our tour operators to make sure all was well, and on our last day organised a very early 0515 breakfast! While perhaps like pretty much all of Iceland, everything also seemed very safe, we weren't too fussed about making sure our room door was always locked etc.

We'd definitely return here next time as our trip only covered the south. Quite a few other guests were in transit to other wilder and evocative-sounding parts of Iceland and also Greenland (with the "local" airport serving both very close by, but never a noise problem from this).

Other tips if its helpful...if you're not a vegetarian try out the traditional Icelandic sheep's head dish at the café in the BSI coach station (the Flybus terminus) - you won't forget it! The "Loki" Icelandic restaurant by the main church was also great. We also bought the Reykjavik Welcome card that proved to be good value, giving free entry to all the museums (The Settlement Museum 871 being our favourite), boat trips to Videy Island, free entry to the thermal pools in the city, and all the city buses (while the centre of Reykjavik is very walkable from the guesthouse the thermal pools are a bit further from the centre). We tried Vesturbaejarlaug once and our favourite Laugardalslaug twice - warm steamy open air pools, "hotpots", Jacuzzis etc - to get a taste of the authentic Icelandic lifestyle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David Lee
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We spent two days in this guest house, we had very good recommendation from the owners what to visit / do / where to eat in town. Location is perfect. The bf is varied. I have put 4 stars just because whn we arrive our room floor was not that clean but overall experience was great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple