“Cheap hostel in the centre”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Reykjavik
Salvation Army Guesthouse
Ranked #57 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
“Cheap hostel in the centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Very nice room, good location, excellent services on reception. Big kitchen with dining room. No parking, but there are cheap parking house very near. We were suprised, that at night was quite silence, more than we expected.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sandra P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Reykjavik is an expensive city, and the Salvation Army Guesthouse is a very good option. The best thing is its location in the older part of the city, so everything is within walking distance. My room was clean, as were the bathrooms. Reception was helpful. There might be some noise (especially with large groups) but it is a hostel, so bring along some ear plugs. Recommended,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Joaquin5
Macerata, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

I spent in Salvation Army guesthouse almost 2 weeks in August in 2010, when I came to Reykjavik as an erasmus student; as the apartment where I was supposed to stay was not yet available in August, I had to wait in Salvation Army until September. I definitely enjoyed my time in this Guesthouse: the staff was always very kind with me, the people I met there was really friendly and still I have contacts with many of them, the beds were confortable (even through I slept in a sleeping bag for 2 weeks) and every day the room was cleaned and sheets changed (I had the chance to see it by myself, because when tourists used to go out for trips or excursions sometimes I used to have a nap taking advantage of the emply room). To sum up, I won't never forget the beautiful moments that I spent in this guesthouse, I really appreciate it!

Obviously I am a really tolerant girs, even though I used to sleep in a room with other 4 people, I felt confortable and I even used to left all my things scattered along the room and nothing disappeared. Then, there was no lift, but it was not a problem for me and I managed to do everrything by myself...so, you have also to take in mind this aspect and if you like a comfortable and silent ambience, this guesthouse is not for you!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Nyack, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

The Salvation Army Guesthouse is a dorm all year long - even when there are not students you will find conditions to be that of any typical college. Shared bathrooms and I imagine that in a full room, it could be very crowded. But the location cannot be matched for such a great price. If you're looking for frills and ammenities, skip this. If you want value and prime location - this is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angie1135
Pori, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

This guesthouse is very cheap and has a great location, but it's very noisy. The walls are thin, so you can hear everything from other rooms and corridors. At least in August the place was very crowded and people were making noise in the corridors from early morning until midnight, and past. The room we had was spacious, but quite worn out. The beds were bad. We didn't manage to get much of sleep during our three nights' stay. Next time we'll choose another place to stay at.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannamaria72
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

For accommodation in the heart of Reykjavik, this is definitely one of the cheaper options you can find, especially for those who enjoy nightlife since the bars and pubs are just out in the street near the frontdoor.

Rooms are small, with just enough space for a bed and a sink for washing up, and a cupboard, with communal toilets shared with the rest of the people living on the same floor(they may have more fancy rooms with its own toilets but check with the hotel on this). The walls though are quite thin and noise levels from the partygoers from the street and from your neighbours may be a problem for light sleepers. I slept like a log though, after an entire day of sightseeing. No lifts were available when I went, and I had to lug my luggage up 3 floors-- definitely not for the elderly and handicapped.

The rooms are clean though, as is the rest of the guesthouse.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Marmottalotte
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I spent three nights here in August 2012 and was impressed. The location in Kirkjustraeti, just a couple of minute's walk from the Parliament Building and the harbour, is excellent. Rooms are various - singles, doubles and dormitory accommodation. A single worked out at 8,500 ISK and represents good value in a pricey city.. Rooms are fairly small. Facilities are clean. Soap and towels are provided. The comparison to a Japanese capsule hotel in the recent edition of the Lonely Planet Guide does, I think, give a misleading impression. A decent buffet breakfast in the pleasant downstairs dining room was 800 ISK extra. Street noise can be troublesome at the weekends - more from early morning airport coaches and tours buses than night time revelers. Earplugs are not a bad idea. The staff are helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the building, not facing Kirkjustraeti, are quieter.