Stay Bolholt Apartments
Hotel Cabin(Reykjavik)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Klettur(Reykjavik)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscity centrelaundry roomsmall kitchenmicrowave ovenkringlan mallclean towelslocal supermarkettwin bedsfree wifihire carworked finepots and pansquiet areaother guestsself cateringhome from homeyour luggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have just come back from Iceland staying for 6 nights at the Bolholt apts.
I was a bit concerned as the price was very good and wondered what we were in for. When we got there i was really surprised how well I had done to book it!!. It had all the necessary equipment as well as thoughtful touches like washing up liquid and dishcloths and tea towels etc. We had booked a triple room and was very pleased with the size, we had lots of room for all our stuff (which was a lot for 3 women). The room was very clean the shower was good and the heating was very warm. We were a little away from the town center but did not take long to walk there, but it was easy to catch the main road out of town to all the sights of Iceland, which are all amazing. There is a good restaurant close by called the Red Chilli which had an varied menu and the food was delicious.
I would recommend anyone to go to the Bolholt apts.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DENISE A
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Frankly speaking, we were afraid of visiting the Bolholt Apartments for the bad reviews of other customers. But in the end, it paid out that we chose these apartments. After the first two nights in the Hilton we could not extend there for a third night because it was sold out. The Bolholt Apartment were our best bet location wise. They are basically accross the street from the Hilton and thus we had to take our bags short distance walking.

Honestly, don't expect luxury. Their apartments are basic, relatively clean but with a not so clean bath room. Otherwise, large room and also cooking facilities. Again here, we did not use them because of some lack of cleanliness.

Not far from the apartments is the public bus stop. Car parking spaces are available free of charge in front of the apartments.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danieledellarocca
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed at the Boholt Apartments for 3 nights during September 2012 and found it was excellent value.
Initially, when looking for hotels through Expedia, I missed this - I was looking for 3* and up, but Bolhot is only rated as 2.5*
Seems strange, as for me this was easily a 3 star equivalent (though I think it may be to do with the way they run the reception... More of which later).

My room was a standard twin...

The Good:

Clean.
Quiet.
Contains a small breakfast dining table.
Has a kitchenette with kettle, toaster, 2 hobs for cooking and a good size fridge!
Small-ish, but clean and functional shower room with toilet and sink.
Well heated (without being stuffy).
Has a shared recreation room with sofas and pool table.
Wifi worked really well - good connection strength and speed.
Phone in reception area for you to make free phone calls to anywhere in Iceland (great for confirming stuff with tour operators etc).
Supermaket close by (I used the one on Noatun and it is open really late).
Restaurant very nearby for if you want to go and have a burger and a beer.
The view (depending on your room). I was in room 7 and could see the coastline and the mountains.

The Bad:

Could not get signal for any channels on the tv.
That's it!

Also to consider:

It is not the most centrally located hotel and I was concerned about the distance, but when I arrived I found it was a bit closer to the centre than I thought. Just walked down to the seafront and had a pleasant walk into the harbour area and main town (though there is a quicker and more direct route, if you check your map). Should be close enough for most people (it's actually quite nice having the walk!) but if you are elderly and/or have mobility problems, you might want to be a bit closer to the centre.
However, most tour operators running excursions (and the flybus airport link) will offer an option to collect/drop you right at your hotel door - most of them do all the main hotels in the city including the Boholt Apartments.

In the twin room I was using, the twin beds were pushed right together, with not much space for moving them apart - just something to consider if you are squeamish about sleeping too close to a friend, or if they might have wandering hands :-)

The reception area has no receptionist!
Actually this really isn't a big deal, as they key was waiting for us on the reception desk when we arrived and we left the key back there when we left...simple!
Of course, if you run into difficulties, that is when you need someone. We didn't have any issues, but I believe there is a hotline in the lobby you can use to connect to someone who you can speak to and who can come and deal with any issues if necessary.

The water might smell a bit funny. This is NOT a problem with the hotel - they add sulphur to the water in Iceland (something about removing the oxygen fron the water so the pipes do not rust).

You will have 2 keys when you arrive. One is for your room, the other is for the hotel entrance, which is locked at night.

Overall:
A simple, functional, quiet hotel, reasonably well located and very well priced.
Good value and recommended (I would happily use it again).

A couple of tips about visiting Reykjavik in general:
If you are going on a whale watching trip, bear in mind it can get cancelled if the sea is too rough ( and if it does go ahead, you are not guaranteed to see any whales!).
If you are going on a Northern lights tour, you are are not guaranteed to see them - be prepared for the likelihood of not seeing them.
The Golden Circle tour is definitley worth doing. The sights are good. Grays excursions stopped at a place that did the most lovely lamb soup ( recommended by the tour guide).... Have it, it's very nice.
The Blue Lagoon is ok, but not as big as you might think- it's basically a fancy spa.

MOST IMPORTANT:

Wrap up very VERY warm.
If you are going on various tours, you will find yourself in exposed areas, or out at sea, or at altitude, or out at night. If the wind picks up, you WILL freeze, so take ALL your warmest clothes and add some extra layers (forget about style and buy several layers of thermals!) - invest in a good hat and gloves.

Also, EVERYONE in Iceland seems to speak excellent English and everyone I spoke to there was very friendly and helpful... Nice people.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Antstephenson
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I got an economy room so probably I shouldn't expect much but room looked a lot smaller than the one in picture. Apart from this, the "apartment" was good, clean, with a fully equipped kitchen and a clean bathroom, apart for a little worn out shower. Overall I would choose this hotel again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were a group of nine and had 3 rooms. Each is a studio with 2 beds and a pullout bed or sofa, small kitchen, bathroom. Clean, simple and pretty comfortable.
Location is not the best, probably considered to be outskirts of the city as it takes about 15 min walk from center. Einholt apartments are a much better location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family