“Lovely Stay”

CenterHotel Thingholt
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed in the hotel in February in the week of Valentine's Day. Before arriving at the hotel I wrote to the hotel with a few of questions and the reply was received very promptly. The hotel is located just off the main street at a corner, it makes everything very easy. (to grab some supermarket essentials, little shops for food, buying gifts etc) Given it's centrally located - it is still very peaceful and quiet. Check in was smooth, we arrived at dinner time after like 20 hours of traveling so it was really appreciated. There are a few steps to walk down (like 5?!) from the street level to the lobby, but there is a lift. We were a bit lazy to do that but taking our big suitcase down those steps was not a problem at all.
The room was very clean, nicely decorated, adequate heating/ temp control. Forgot to take photos of the room because we were so jet-lagged - just felt asleep after the activities and tours everyday! We booked the "Deluxe"room and it lived up to the expectations, what we saw in the photos etc. Our 2 big suitcases fit perfectly fine in the room, we opened them at the same time and still lots of space to move around. The bathroom was very clean, and the housekeeping did a great job that each day we come back they make it up like we just checked in the room.
Breakfast was great - a good selection of hot food (scramble egg, sausages, bacon), bread for toasting, fruits, cheese, cold cuts, cereal. Just really nice to have a good breakfast to start off the day especially we spent quite a bit of time doing outdoor stuff. Definitely will stay in CenterHotel Thingholt again if we come back to Iceland :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Just returned from Reykjavik today after a 4 night stay at the Thingholt. The room was stylish and immaculately clean. Warm and comfortable bed. I requested a high floor as other reviews mentioned noise and this was provided. I had no problem sleeping despite Reykjaviks reputation for late night revels and the central location of the hotel. Breakfast was excellent with a selection of hot and cold meats, eggs, cereals, fruit, yogurts, pastries, juice, breads and jams etc.. The staff were friendly and helpful and always looked cheerful. We parked in the same street as the hotel and the parking is much cheaper than in the UK so not a problem. In summary, a clean, stylish, comfortable and friendly hotel in a very good location.

Room Tip: I slept in a top floor room and no problems with noise.
1  Thank nessayres
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I decided to take advantage of Iceland Air's stopover program in 2010 when I traveled from Minneapolis to London. With on overnight stay in Reykjavik, I opted to stay at the CenterHotel Thingholt after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was not disappointed.

The hotel was very modern yet comfortable (The bathroom was fantastic!) It’s location was ideal for touring the city and I found the staff very helpful in pointing out places of interest and to eat. All in all, it was a great experience and if I have the opportunity to visit Iceland again, I would definitely return to CenterHotel Thingholt.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Value for money wise, this may be the best hotel I have stayed in. The design and quality of the rooms was excellent with everything you would possibly need for a trip to Iceland. The fittings of the bathroom were particularly good which included an amazing shower. The bed was a good size and extremely comfortable and I had no issues with street noise that a few other reviewers on tripadvisor had noted. Breakfast, while not the biggest, had a decent selection that was very nice and good quality. Location wise you are situated right in the heart of Reykjaviks city centre and can walk to all the sites. The staff were always very friendly and approachable. A further nice touch was when we were leaving we had an early departure of around 5:30am. Breakfast did not start until 7am although the staff had laid out tea, orange juice and croissants for us to eat while we waited for our pick up. I definitely recommend Centerhotel Thingholt!

1  Thank N_L0GiE
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This hotel is in a great location in the centre of Reykjavik. Despite being so central, we managed to find parking outside (free after 18:00) every day.

Rooms are clean and stylish with wifi throughout. We didn't have a problem with noise that others have complained of, but we were located on the upper floors at the back of the hotel. Staff were friendly and attentive - would recommend.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I booked in October 2012 for my wife and I to stay one night in March 2013 between a trip to northern Iceland and our flight back to the UK. I chose it because of its central location. On arriving at CenterHotel Thingholt around noon because of an early morning flight from Akureyri, we were told that there were maintenance issues that meant that several rooms had had to be taken out of use and that we were being 'upgraded' to CenterHotel Arnarhvoll. This was definitely NOT an upgrade. The hotel was further out from the centre, the room was modern but cramped, with a tubular metal clothes hanging structure that was absolutely lethal - a serious danger of hitting the sharp corner at head height because of insufficient room round the end of the bed. The inadequate shower door arrangement in the bathroom meant that everything became soaked when taking a shower. The TV was just about impossible to work - didn't respond to the handset or the buttons on the front.
This was definitely not an upgrade and we were very suspicious that we had been moved out of CenterHotel Thingholt to make was for a more lucrative booking - the whole way the 'upgrade' story was handled by the receptionist lacked conviction and credibility. Hence the Terrible rating for Thingholt.

3  Thank Martin G
CH_channelmanager, Manager at CenterHotel Thingholt, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Martin G

Thank you for your sharing your experience with us here at CenterHotels.

First of all we are really sorry about the inconvenience we caused you with the move from Þingholt to Arnarhvoll. We are very sorry to not have been able to accommodate you in your chosen hotel and in a situation like this you should always be given a stay in a same or higher standard hotel in a similar location and I agree with you that this was not provided to you.

We had a maintenance issue in one of the rooms at Þingholt that had a knock on effect of water damage in a few rooms and we didn't manage to fix the damage in all of the rooms in time so we had to relocate you to one of our sister hotels at a very short notice.

I'm really sorry that you where given the impression that you where being upgraded as you are correct the Arnarhvoll is not an upgrade from Þingholt and we will clarify that with the reception staff. Your reservation was upgraded from a standard room in Þingholt to a Deluxe room with a view and free SPA access in Arnarhvoll and but the move between hotels is clearly not an upgrade and we are very sorry that you were told so.

We have contacted you personally regarding compensation for your inconvenience.

I sincerely hope that you still managed to enjoy your stay in Iceland and should you ever travel to Iceland again and decide to give us a second chance please do not hesitate to contact us and I will ensure you get a free upgrade during your next stay with us.

Best regards,

Eva Jósteinsdóttir
Director of Operations

Reviewed 16 March 2013

My friend and I had two premium rooms. Both had uncomfortable mattresses, we slept poorly. Even though this hotel is off the main street, and it was cold outside, the party noise on the street was very bad and kept waking us up (our rooms were on the 2nd and 3rd floors). We had prepaid three nights but checked out after two and went home.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends