“City Center Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Canyon Lake, California
“City Center Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is in the city center, within walking distance of the bus terminal BSI. It takes about 20 minutes to walk there. Because it is centrally located you have easy access to all of shops, restaurants, bakeries, and bars. Plus, you can walk to the harbor for the Northern Lights tours in about 10 minutes.
The staff is great, always happy and receptive. They are helpful and will answer all of your questions and give you suggestions on what to do and where to go, and they will even make reservations for you.
Clean rooms, great facilities. The spa is very small, and the gym is smaller, but you don't travel for those amenities.
The daily breakfast is very good and includes fresh fruits, eggs, bacon, cereal, yogurt, pastries, bread, and coffee/tea, orange juice, and water.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is away from the main street as the bars are loud on Friday nights. The back sid...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Korean first
Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Nice funky, cow boyish style hotel! Average sized rooms, comfy bed, see through bathroom which I didn't like bit too intimate! Nice breakfast, friendly staff, good location right on the doorstep to shops and restaurants!

• Stayed January 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Clean room and bedding (mirrors and all the shiny elements of interiour could receive more attention).
Tired bathroom - old seals resulting in the flooded floor in the whole bathroom
I have asked for the double room but I got something like two single beds joined together.
Good breakfast but the beacon could be better quality.
Tired dining room seats, but as it is dark and cosy you may not realise that.

Overall rating of very good for overall cleaniness, receptions staff who helped to book all the excursions and unique interiour design.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The hotel is centrally located and offers a great breakfast. The rooms are average size and very clean. The best part of the hotel experience was the staff, especially Clare. She was attentive to every concern, always with a smile and very professional. The location is close to the harbor if going on a boat tour of Northern Lights, a brisk walk to the beautiful opera house, and a 5 minute walk to the famous hot dog stand frequented by John Kennedy, Jane Fonda and many other celebrities. The only down side is the Friday night partying at the bistro down the street. Ask for a room in the back of the hotel if you are staying on a Friday evening. I thought Saturdays would also be noisy, but I slept well and did not hear the street sounds. It could be that I was just too tired from the night before!

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the street are quieter on weekends.
Trenton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with 5 friends for four nights in March. We had planned a short trip to Iceland with hopes of seeing the Northern Lights (which we did ultimately see on our last night there). We got to the hotel around 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. and of course our rooms weren't ready. We were offered the option of an early check-in when the rooms were ready, with breakfast included, for an additional 50 euros per room. We headed off for breakfast while we waited for the rooms to be cleaned. The breakfast was quite good and included eggs, bacon, potatoes, fresh fruit, fresh rolls, several types of fish, ham and cheese and several very fresh pastries. There were also several coffees and a variety of teas available. This breakfast was included every day we were there and we all loved it. While we were eating, the reception staff came to the restaurant area to get two of my friends who were lucky enough to get a room. The rest of us settled in the very comfortable lobby to wait for rooms. Several of us stretched out on couches and just relaxed. Within an hour my room was ready, so my friend and I went off to rest. Unfortunately my other two friends weren't able to check in early because a room didn't become available. Despite that, the stay in this hotel was very pleasant for all of us. I am lucky enough to travel frequently and I have never stayed in a hotel with more friendly and accommodating staff. They were all knowledgeable about the activities and restaurants in the area, and Clara made reservations for our activities each day. She was a ray of sunshine each day, greeting us with a beautiful smile and a "good morning". Twice our activities resulted in us getting rather wet and when we returned to the hotel we asked if there were dryers on site. The reception staff took our coats and dried them in the dryer they use for hotel towels. The next day they dried our bathing suits for us. These were folded and returned to us with a smile. The hotel rooms were nice with lights that actually brightened (once you figure out how to do it), which is quite rare in most hotels. The beds were very comfortable and the shower is spectacular, hot with great pressure! The hotel is very centrally located, just a short walk to the harbor and the Opera House, and very close to restaurants and shopping. My only caution is that because of its great location, we did have one night of poor sleep quality. Our room faced the front of the hotel and there is a club just down the street. On Friday night, the music blared until 4:30 a.m., with the bass just pounding and pounding. It was so loud that my friend actually got out of bed, got dressed and walked down the street to see what was going on. You can prevent this problem by asking for a room in the back of the hotel. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, and I will definitely stay here if I ever get back to Iceland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel so you don't hear music from the club down the street. E...
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed at CenterHotel Thingholt and were very impressed. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our first day there, my daughter fainted getting out of the hot tub, due to hunger, exhaustion, jet lag, and the heat of the pool. She scraped up her arm, ankle, and hip. The staff provided a first aid kit and helped us get her all bandaged up. The décor and atmosphere are fantastic in the rooms, lobby, spa, etc. On our first night there, we were in a room on the 1st floor, right next to the main entrance. It was so loud! We could hear the door open and close every single time, even throughout the night. We asked for a quieter room the next day and were fortunate that they were able to accommodate us. Definitely recommend asking for a room in a quiet part of the hotel! The best thing about the hotel is the breakfast. It’s included each day, and has pastries, bread, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, lox, and more. Hoping to return in the future and will gladly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fivecrazycats
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at the beginning of March.
The decor is very cool, soft lighting, dark leather and plush Cow Hide/Reindeer rugs and chairs etc!
The location is excellent right in the center of Reykjavik and on the corner from a fantastic romantic/rustic Italian Restaurant (which is a must if you are staying at this hotel!).
Breakfast is lovely, lots of choice from Bacon, sausages and eggs, to pastries, cereal/musli and fruit/cold meat and cheese etc.
The staff are very friendly and accomodating and can advise on the best sights to visit and bars and restaurants in the area.
The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis which is lovely and the towels are also changed daily. Although in my opinion they should adopt the same eco friendly approach as other hotels around the world of 'if you want clean towels leave them on the floor or in the shower/bath' and if they are hung up it means you don't need clean towels, personally I can use the same towel for a couple of days until I need a fresh one! (I like to be a bit eco friendly and it would save the hotel on laundry bills!!) Although I know that's not everyone's opinion which is fair enough!
We had a deluxe double which had a huge bed which was comfortable (pillows aren't great and could be firmer, for my own personal taste anyway!) We also had a huge white leather sofa which was a lovely touch, especially if the weather is bad outside and you want to just sit and read in your room for a bit!
The decor is lovely and in the same theme as the rest of the hotel.
We did find the room temperature too warm, even after turning the radiators off and it was only 1 degree outside, we couldn't work out why this was, we also couldn't find an air con unit in the room, so I'm not sure the rooms actually have any air con??!
They say the tap water in the bathroom is pure spring water so it's the freshest tap water in the world and it really does taste so fresh and clean!
The hotel also had a fantastic sauna and a large hot tub/bath and a massage room (wasn't in action when I was there unfortunately!!) and also a gym if you're feeling energetic!
We did hear some other guests complaining about loud noise at night from a bar somewhere near the hotel, I could hear a distance muffled bass, but nothing to keep me awake. I do think this is something that you should call the hotel and ask about though, as I would say it depends where your room is located on whether you would be disturbed by this.
All in all, our experience at this hotel was fantastic and we would stay there again if we choose to re-visit Iceland, which I'm sure we will as it's a fantastic country!

Room Tip: Worth asking about the noise that had kept other guests up during our stay as it obviously depends o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple