“I was pleasantly surprised!”

CenterHotel Thingholt
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Chicago, Illinois
“I was pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Very contemporary, sleek and comfortable boutique hotel in the heart of reykjavik! Hotel staff was super friendly and accommodating. Dinner at Isafold Bistro is highly recommended. Icelandic cuisine at its finest! Our breakfast was included in the rate and i thought it was your standard hotel breakfast buffet. Not bad but not special either. I thought the bathroom floor was heated - a pretty nice bonus! The room just like the lobby was modern and sleek in design, bed was a good size and comfortable. Now I'm not sure if they had centralized AC or not but it wasn't on when we stayed there so had to open the window at night. I think thats a problem with small boutique hotels anywhere. That said, it invited late night partying noise from a nearby bar.
Thats about the only negative i could say about this hotel and it being located right where the action is.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Eric_generic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2014

we stayed 2 nights in the Thingholt. Its a great hotel, very modern & trendy, a lot of black, natural wood etc. We got a room facing Thingholt street & after reading the other reviews I thought people were maybe over-exaggerating the noise from the bars. I live in NYC & am used to noise, but the difference in Reykavik is that the bars are allowed to have people standing outside on the street, with their doors open. This means you get the full blast of the music & the people dont seem to really care that their are hotels/houses around. The bars seem to shut around 5am & unfortunately their is a bar about 50-100m from the hotel.

The room was comfy, the staff very friendly & overall it was a very good hotel to stay at. When the Flybus was late in picking me up the receiption called them several times (I didnt have to ask for them to do it) & when he thought I would miss the bus leaving for the airport he called a taxi & said the hotel would pay for it. Of course as soon as the taxi turned up the flybus turned up, but it was a great gesture by them as its not their fault the bus operator wasnt running to schedule.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I took my wife as a surprise for her 30th birthday. I read the reviews on here which made up my mind to book and I wasn't disappointed. The hotel was great, very modern, clean with lovely staff. They couldn't do more for you. The breakfast was also nice with lots to choose from. Can recommend the chocolate flapjacks for those who have a sweet tooth.

The room was very modern and stylish. Was kept very clean but if I want to be a bit niggly the rug had a few stains on. As read on the reviews there is a pub/nightclub at the end of the road which we could here. Music was still playing at 4am. However, it was such a fantastic place to go we didn't mind. Would like to visit Iceland again and stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: We were at the front of the hotel so maybe if you had a room at the back, you might not hear the mus...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really wanted to give this 4 bubbles, but there are just too many (fixable) issues here.

Rooms. Ok but weird. Decent size. The bed is really low to the floor -- and its two twins combined to make a queen. The middle is hard, though the two beds themselves are just fine. The office/desk area is nicely laid out, though the whole 'cow/black leather' motif is a bit odd. The bathroom is fine -- very clean and well laid out, with a soaking tub. However, if you shower, the water pressure will basically shoot you over to Greenland, its so powerful. Room was also warm if windows were closed... but see problems below at night if windows were open.

Ambiance. Again, modern/weird. Very modern, Euro, dark leather motif runs through it all. Fine if you go for that.

Location. Very close to the main tourist strip- great. But... we didnt know it would be crazy-loud outside all night and we needed earplugs to sleep, even at 3 am. Not ideal. Get a room thats not on the road if possible.

Service. Good, definitely. Front desk staff was helpful and nice. Free breakfast was also good -- no problems there. They even helped us figure out how to use the parking meters nearby (no valet or other parking of any kind). Free wifi was spotty but nice, though a $25 fee to use the tiny gym was absurd.

Its been a middling experience -- but I would not stay here again, in spite of the fair value.

Room Tip: dont stay on the side by the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
seattle
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had read about the noise issue but thought since we would be staying here Monday-Thursday, that the club on the corner would not be a problem. WRONG!!!! It is now 5:30 a.m on and the party outside my window continues and the noise has not abated all night and and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. Thumping techno music, people yelling, clinking of glasses, car doors slamming and groups congregating under our window where their conversations can be heard word for word and their smoke is wafting up into the room. But wait, there is more! Now a bunch of drunk girls are trying to steal a bike but can't figure out how to get the lock off. In frustration, they have thrown their empty alcohol bottles smashing into the street where my rental car is parked. This is ridiculous, even for a city hotel. My college age son just rolled over and said, "Seriously?!? Can you close the windows?!?". Well they ARE closed and I thought if anyone could tolerate this frat party scene, it would be him. I have already gone down to the front desk and asked if they could at least tell the people out front to move along but apparently this is not within their power. Other hotel guests were there asking to switch rooms or be rebooked in one of their other hotels. If you want to party all night and sleep all day, this may be the hotel for you. It is sleek, sexy with black leather everywhere. But I wanted a decent night's rest before a full day of activities and at this point, with zero sleep, it would be dangerous for me to get behind the wheel of my rental car. Not only have I just had a wasted night with no sleep but I have just wasted another day of my precious (and expensive) vacation. I am in no mood to repeat this. But I had to prepay the hotel to get the $300 + rate and there are NO refunds on prepaid rooms so I will have to eat it. Bottom line? I will have to discount the cool decor and wonderful staff and say emphatically that I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel on the highest floor possible (there are 4 floors).
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank travelmutter
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently had a four-day trip to Iceland -which was truly one of my favourite trips EVER. we spent two nights in Reykjavik, one of the coolest and funniest cities I have had the pleasure of visiting, and stayed at the CenterHotel Thingholt. The couple we we're traveling with booked in at the more expensive 101 Hotel, but after we all checked out both hotels, we were unanimous in our preference for CH Thingholt. It has a really cool lobby, very modern, clean rooms, and a friendly, helpful staff. The included breakfast was delicious, with plenty of selection, and the location can't be beat.
On our first night (a Thurs), when we did retire to our room at about 1:30am, we could still hear the revellers outside -however it was not loud enough to disturb us -and, quite frankly, I don't think you could find a centrally-located hotel in Reykjavik that was totally quiet, given both the vibe of the city, and the fact that, in May, the daylight lasts until 11:30pm... Needless to say: with the lovely bed, I slept like a baby, irrespective of the ongoing nightlife.

I would highly recommend this lovely boutique hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple