CenterHotel Thingholt
US$301
  • Restaurant
US$234
1,991 results
All reviewsloft suitefrosted glassthe main streetboutique hotelcentral locationfriday and saturdaycenter hotelsteam roombreakfast was includedstandard roomlight sleeperhappy hourmini barearly checkstreet noiseloved this hotelthe heart of the city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is one of those slightly austere "Swedish-modern" style hotels with random bits of Nordic leather furniture, odd art and concrete walls. Theres also quite a lot of glass, so the noise of Reykjavik on a Saturday night still gets in, so ask for an inward facing room if you don't plan on being out till 3 am. desk staff are charming and helpful though they seem to have been asked to push their in-house restaurant for dinner (it seemed empty). Breakfast was fine without being good. location is bang in the middle of what becomes a demilitarized zone on a Saturday night , though the efficient street cleaners have removed all the glass and bodies by the time you step out on a sunday morning. I would however stay there again as it was comfy, clean , friendly and everything worked and the odd mix of styles ended up being quite charming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family was a party of 6 and I booked 3 rooms for 4 nights. Two of the three rooms were fine. My husband and I were assigned room 413. When we got to the room it was like entering a sauna. I immediately went to the front desk and apprised the woman at the front desk that there was a problem. We had just checked in and wanted to get something to eat so the woman at the front desk suggested that we go out and the interim she would see what the problem was. Upon our return she stated that she had set up 2 fans to cool the room down and that it should be fine. But it wasn't. Even with not one but 2 fans the room remained unbearably hot. I trekked downstairs to voice my displeasure and asked for another room. Initially she stated that the hotel was filled to capacity and there was nothing she could do. After about 20 minutes of discussion she found another room for us. I went to check out the room and there was no shower only a bathtub. The lip of the tub was quite high presenting a safety concern for myself and my husband. After some additional discussion we were offered another room. The room consisted of two twin beds and was extremely tiny even by European standards. There were no drawers and the room was too small to accommodate two people. At this point I was exhausted and asked to speak to a supervisor. The night supervisor is off site and I spoke to her by phone. She stated that she could move me to another hotel , but did not have rooms for my children; this clearly was not an option. After another 30 minutes of discussion I was able to elicit a guarantee that I would be moved to another room the following morning. I requested an upgrade as an accommodation for my inconvenience. But clearly this did not happen. This whole process was unpleasant and disappointing. I did receive a bottle of wine and a note from the manager of the hotel. PS I don't drink wine!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Pearl G
CH_channelmanager, Manager at CenterHotel Thingholt, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Pearl G,

Thank you very much for providing feedback from your stay with us. We take much pride in offering a great experience for our guests and the importance of our guests receiving a great service is key for us. We are very sorry that you feel we failed in providing you with the service you were expecting.

We are very sorry to read about your disappointing experience. We know that your room got warm because the afternoon sun was shining right into your room on that particular beautiful sunny day in Reykjavik.

When our staff learned of your discomfort, they immediately placed two fans in the room, opened the windows and closed the curtains to try to cool it down as quickly as possible. We are very sorry that you felt that not being a satisfactory solution.

We understand the importance of being comfortable in your room and we tried to find a different solution for you, however with the hotel being at full capacity, our options were unfortunately limited, especially when it came to finding a different hotel for you and your family.
We offered a different room option for you, which had a beautiful bathroom with a shower/tub combination which is what many of our guest prefer. We are sorry that was not a suitable option for you.

The next day we relocated you to a different room and offered a sincere apology for the inconvenience and a bottle of wine for your troubles and discomfort. We wish we would have known that wine was not to your liking as we would have happily replaced that with another option. As an apology and a way to reach out to you I left you a note with all my contact details and asked you to contact me for any further assistance and information. We unfortunately did not hear anything more from you during your stay.

We always try to provide an upgrade of a room type if is available, however in your situation with hotel being fully booked, our options were limited.

We will use your experience and share it with all our staff and management to learn from it and look at ways to prevent this from happening again.

Once again, our sincerest apologies that you feel you had a disappointing experience with us. We would be happy to discuss this with you in details as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you have any questions or if you wish to discuss this in more details.

Daði Jörgensson
Hotel Manager, CenterHotel Thingholt

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My family and I stayed here 3 nights during our 12 day vacation in Iceland. It was our nicest hotel in Iceland. Modern room, great service, perfect location. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked a last minute trip to Iceland....what a magical place! The hotel is modern, has funky decor and is in a great location. The staff were friendly and helped us book our excursions. The bedroom was very cool and spacious....the clear glass bathroom walls were the only downside...there is no privacy if you want to use the bathroom with someone in the bedroom. The only downside is the very basic breakfast. Would absolutely return!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank c n
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed at this one for my past two trips to Iceland. After staying at 3 other hotels in Reykjavik, I have decided that this one is probably one of my favorites. The location is good because it is centrally located in the middle of the city and close to shops and eateries. If you don't want noise, just ask for a room in the rear of the hotel, especially on the weekends. The staff is very accomodating and the rooms are very clean. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the food is fresh. They will also arrange for transportation to the airport for you.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise and are there on a weekend, ask for a room in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends