Centerhotel Arnarhvoll
US$163
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
1,657 results
All reviewssky bartop floorharpa concert hallgreat locationwet roommusic hallrooftop restaurantsea viewsauna and steam roomnorthern lightsopera househappy hourunderfloor heatingdeluxe roombreakfast is servedmini barrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I think the view was worth the stay at this hotel. I'm slightly a hotel snob, so there were a few things that bothered me. The lobby needs a bit attention, the white walls are all marked up and need repair and the fireplace that originally had me sold on this hotel was NEVER lit. :( The service was always friendly and quick to respond to needs.

The spa area seemed a little rundown as well, but very romantic area if you ask them to light the candles and dim some of the lights. The steam room was cool, but the water in Iceland has a pungent smell of sulfur, so the steam room went from cool to "get me out of here!".

We got the Deluxe room and holy cow, I don't want to know what the standard rooms are like! These rooms are so incredibly small. I spent the first half and hour rearranging furniture to maximize space. The bathtub is nice and deep for relaxing baths. The bed is also pretty comfortable. The corner rooms have different windows, they are recessed into the wall, so it obstructed the gorgeous view big time. That was really unfortunate. You may want a room that is not on the busy street side. You can hear quite a bit outside.

The buffet breakfast is located upstairs which has an amazing view. Loved waking up to that every morning. The breakfast is very healthy, which I loved, but a little change every morning in the selections would have been appreciated. It was exactly the same every morning and they only had a tiny selection of warm breakfast. That was a little disappointing.

This hotel offers a free 24-hour wake up call option if the Northern Lights are present. If it wasn't for this option, we would have never seen them on our trip!! I would HIGHLY recommend this option, because there's always a chance you may not see them on your tour, like us. Thank you Cneterhotel for making one of our dreams come true! The view from the roof top patio of the Northern Lights over the lake and mountains was outstanding!

The location is also perfect. You're just two blocks from the main shopping areas.

Room Tip: If you're claustrophobic, definitely get the Deluxe room. You'll want every extra inch. The rooms on the busy street side are a little noisy. If you're a light sleeper, you may want a room on the side street, BUT you won't have the beautiful view of the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley F
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is located on the sea front between the Sun Rider sculpture and the Harpa concert hall. The staff are excellent and the facilities really good value.

The Sky Bar is a stunning location for breakfast and a great place for a drink in the evening.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked a Northern Lights package (didn't see any after 2 tries) through Icelandair. Since the flight from the U.S. was early in the morning, they offered early check-in for an additional amount (I think it was around 30 euros). My friend did an early check-in and got a single bed facing the harbor which was smaller than mine. My room (checked in after lunch) faced the street and had two beds. Do book the Fly Bus airport shuttle because it's easy and cheaper. The breakfast room in the top floor became a lounge/bar in the evening which was nice after a (cold) day of touring. You don't need to leave the property to get a drink. Wifi was weak in my room though.

Highly recommend all/any of the tours by Iceland Horizon (David is the owner); did Golden Circle. I booked another tour with Sterna Travel (South Coast tour) whose guide was a native. Although Icelanders speak English, it was hard to understand our older Sterna guide/driver at times. I had a better understanding of the history, sites, etc. with David is who British but has been living in Iceland for a while. I always like to know an "outsider's" perspective on current events, etc. He also got bonus points when he stopped by the side of the road so we can take pictures of those beautiful horses up close.

Early November travel was already cold, even too cold for my taste. My package also came with an included Blue Lagoon "comfort" experience which meant I got a robe and towel rental + drink. We heeded the advice of the hotel receptionist and took the first bus out to Blue Lagoon to avoid the 10/11 AM rush who are mostly in the same shuttle and afternoon flight as you. It was less stressful.

Had meals at Dill, Fiskmarkadurrin (Fish Market), Fridrik V and Grillid. All were very good but I'd say that my experience at Fish Market was the most memorable. The $75 8-9 course tasting menu was worth every penny. Order a bottle of wine instead of glasses. Go hungry.

Bring cold/fever meds with you as the pharmacies close by 6 pm. If you go on a day long tour, you'll never make it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nuasette
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Arnarhvoll from 13-16th Feb (2014). It doesn't look like much from the outside, grey and non-exciting but inside it's smart and clean. The deluxe room we had was fabulous! Room 707, on the top floor (apart from the floor above which is the bar) with beautiful views of sea, mountains and the impressive Harpa concert hall.. The room was basic, 2 single beds pushed together to make a double and 2 separate duvets but actually it was really comfortable. The room was a lovely temperature to come in to out of the cold! For your clothes there's a hanging area and shelves in the corner, I called the open-air wardrobe. Simple but adequate, especially for just a 3 day break like we were on. The bathroom was very clean and quite adequate. There's tea and coffee and a mini bar (we didn't have any of the drinks, just used it to chill our own drinks..)
The breakfast was included, and very good - cereals, cold and hot buffet and lovely home-made flapjacks! All eaten looking out on the most amazing views of the harbour, mountains and the city of Reykjavik.
We spent a relaxing half hour in the hotel Spa (didn't really have much time to spare as we had lots we wanted to see) which was nice.
All in all I think this hotel is fabulous value. It ticks all the boxes, great price and the location is perfect. We walked into the city to go out for meals, an easy and enjoyable stroll.
We had a fantastic trip, just 3 days but we packed a lot in... We hired a car from the airport, which I'd highly recommend, costing just a bit more than 2 transfers. 1st day straight from the airport we went to the Blue Lagoon, very relaxing. 1st night we went on a Northern Lights excursion, but unfortunately didn't see anything due to lots of cloud cover... We were told we could go on another night for free to try again, but decided we'd give it a go ourselves in our hired car the next night. 2nd day we went to the famous Geysers, followed by the awesome Gulfoss waterfall - wow! 2nd night we drove quite a way out of the city again to go "Aurora hunting", again no luck... 3rd day we drove out to Myrdas-jokull Glacier - another wow! Managed to take a little walk on the glacier, very carefully! 3rd and final night we decided to try a drive out of the city again to look for Northern Lights. Just 20 minutes out of Reykjavik, I noticed a patch of something glowing in the sky, another cloud??... I told my husband so he pulled the car into a layby up ahead, where a couple of other vehicles were parked.. Getting out of the car we looked up and the Aurora display started as if it had been waiting for our arrival - WOW!! So amazing, beautiful, awesome, fantastic.. Words can't describe it really... A perfect ending to a wonderful trip!

Room Tip: We were in deluxe double Room 707 - comfortable, warm and the most amazing views of sea, mountains and impressive Harpa concert hall. I think it must be one of the best rooms in the whole hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NikkiB22
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here for a visit to see the Northern Lights in February.

The staff are all very friendly and helped with my numerous questions and tour bookings. The Sky Bar is really nice and has quick service for a light bite between tours. The cocktails and the view are also pretty good.

I stayed in a deluxe room - it was clean and modern. There were shelves and hangers for clothes, a seating area, a fridge/mini bar and tea/coffee in the room which isn't always the case in Reykjavik hotels. The bathroom was fine as long as you kept everything off the floor until you had finished showering and dried really quickly.

The best thing about the hotel is the location - ideal for the centre of town, Iceland Excursions/Gray Line and the harbour for whale watching.

Having stayed at a different Reykjavik hotel a month before which had no restaurant, no bar, no tea/coffee/hot water in the room, this hotel is GREAT.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo