“Delicious surprise”

Ranked #30 of 520 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Seafood, International, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is situated at Skolavordustigur 40 in Reykjavik. The design concept is a mixture of warm modern Icelandic feel with international touch wherein furniture of designer Tom Dixon play the main role. The restaurants is on two floors with an open kitchen and a wieldy bar. The restaurant is divided into spaces with cozy leather couches and has a variety of different table settings. The cuisine is feel good comfort food with a twist on classic cuisine. The menu offers a variety of starters, salads, fish, steaks and desserts. The head chef, Sævar Lárusson is a young ambitious chef who has gathered years of experience at Reykjavík‘s best restaurants, working along side many of the country’s most renown chefs. The restaurant centers around a bar where the country's best cocktail bartenders serve craft cocktails from the best ingredients available and are offering an ambitious cocktail list.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The kol is the closest restaurant to the main church and was directly across the street from Felicia's Flat where we were staying. We couldn't believe it could be so convenient and so delicious too. Prices were about the same as other good restaurants, maybe a drop less. The lamb was great. Reservations would be useful, but we had none and they found a table downstairs for us.

5  Thank grandma35
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Kol's served me the best piece of salmon I'd ever tasted. We were able to get in on a Wednesday in early June without reservations, though it would be a good idea to make some during high season. The service was good, and the staff were very friendly. I would certainly encourage anyone eating out in Iceland, here or anywhere else, to avoid whale meat for environmental and humanitarian reasons.

2  Thank Susy_Traveler
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I went there with my family for a cozy dinner to celebrate a milestone. First of all the atmosphere in there was very good. A low-toned kind-of-lounge music filled the room and it was neither to loud or to annoying. Our waiter was friendly, gave us neutral recommendation for cocktails and food. He´d even tell us about the whole cooking approach. The steak was very good but i didn´t really like the grey sauce that was with it (some mustard or something?) and the cocktails are world class. I recommend one named "Donkey".

3  Thank SigurjonH
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Went to Kol with a friend, started with a Kriptonite cocktail that was perfect. The 3 course menu was absolutely divine, the tasty Risoto, the full flavoured Salmon and to finish the chocolate desert to die for. The waiter was able to make me fell home.

4  Thank Ricardo d
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I dined there this evening based on tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. The Donkey cocktail was refreshing after a long day and my meal was fabulous - scallop risotto and salmon. The chocolate dessert put me over the top. Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. Don't miss it.

3  Thank mgsilver