“spot on!...”

Ranked #35 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Seafood, International, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is situated at Skolavordustigur 40 in Reykjavik. The design concept is a mixture of warm modern Icelandic feel with international touch wherein furniture of designer Tom Dixon play the main role. The restaurants is on two floors with an open kitchen and a wieldy bar. The restaurant is divided into spaces with cozy leather couches and has a variety of different table settings. The cuisine is feel good comfort food with a twist on classic cuisine. The menu offers a variety of finger food, salads, fish, steaks and desserts. The head chef Kari THorsteinsson has gathered over 15 years of experience at Reykjavik's best restaurants as well as working at several known restaurants in London, Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons, Noma, 28-50 and Texture. The restaurant centers around a bar where the country's best cocktail bartenders serve craft cocktails from the best ingredients available and are offering an ambitious cocktail list.
Reykjavik, Iceland
“spot on!...”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

For the last weekend of my friends from Marseille visiting me and Iceland,we decided we should go out for dinner in a good restaurant as they were tired of eating fast junkfood and other Icelandic specialties(not big fans of smoked half sheep head! :)).As I live here and work as a chef myself(no michelin star...yet! :)) ,I heard that Kol was the new " place to be" so I asked my local frends about this "buzz" ,and they all confirmed the qualities but they also recommended strongly to book a table before!Buzz+fully crowded=green light for the not so rich french picky mouth we are :).So last friday,casually fancy dressed,in case...,we arrived there,opened the door and just had the time to admire a "crazy" eagle head painting/drawing(?) and a quick overall look to the crowd and the furniture that a smiling "maitre d' hotel" took care of us:"good evening Gentlemen,do you have a reservation?" me with a confident smile "Yes we do Sir"(we're safe! ).Then he walked us to the table and my friends ordered cocktails and I personally tried a "G'Vine" (French) gin and tonic,because an English friend of mine is a rep for them in Australia/South Asia.So good that we ordered another round as we waiting for our dinner:we all had the "tres locos" burgers as we were three friends ready for the friday night in RVK :) wich were 3 different big "bouchées" burgers,very tasty but light and fresh (especially for my friends),followed by the grilled lamb ,the cod and the salmon as they're Iceland specialties,and so we could exhange bites! :)we noticed that if the restaurant is decorated with taste and class,the numerous professionnal staff is smiling and very accessible ,wich makes you feel comfortable and the general atmosphere agreable.The main courses were just excellent.And for the dessert,my friends and I shared a "tapas" of desserts from the menu as we were "fully" full considering the 2 cocktails,starter ,main courses and almost 2 bottles(1 bottle of Argentinian red (not too expensive please :) )and 3 glasses) of wine(I remind you we're French) ).As a conclusion,despite a note at around14 000 isk(welcome to Iceland :) ) per head because we were celebrating my friends last days,I will definitely go there again at the first occasion to try the rest of the menu and to see if Gordon Ramsay himself!and some locals are still there as they were sitting 2 tables away ! I couldn't hear their conversation their comments about the place but they seemed to enjoy their cocktails,chatting and laughing.So Gordon,let me tell you yhe buzz around is justified because "KOL IS SPOT ON!!!"

4 Thank jano_islande

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Icelandic Ego”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic drink. Great service. Sat at the bar. Walked in without a reservation. Place was booked but host was happy to try and find us a spot. We love sitting at the bar and chatting with bartenders. Had three course tasting menu. Wonderful. Price not so bad. All in all really great.

4 Thank ArizAllieWiener
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
“A great choice for our one year wedding anniversary”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Me and my wife went there last night for our one year wedding anniversary and we didn't not regret our choice. The staff was very nice and the food was just great.I had a Tuna tacos for starters and that is something everyone should try. Our main courses were also excellent i had the Rib-eye and my wife the Lamb.
i Highly recommend this place as it is one of the best restaurants that i have gone to in Iceland.

3 Thank Johannes A
“Very good”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Visited as a family - very accommodating staff although it should be noted that the menu isn't all that family friendly. The kitchen served smaller portions of main meals for our three kids - eldest (14) pronounced that his cod was the best thing he'd ever eaten (the brat, I'm a very keen cook! )

Everything was nicely prepared and tasty and although it seems pricy I'd say it was good value. We all left feeling it was a good night.

3 Thank Rory D
Denver, Colorado
“A Great Start to Reykjavik”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We ate at Kol on our first night in Reykjavik, and did not know what to expect for the quality of food in Iceland. We were pleasantly surprised with our dinner at Kol. The Tuna Tacos were SUPERB and the rest of the meal was also quite impressive. Service and atmosphere were top notch. We would highly recommend eating at Kol.

2 Thank dmwhit