“Good but not great vegetarian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Graenn Kostur - CLOSED

Graenn Kostur
Price range: US$10 - US$17
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Miõborg
New England
“Good but not great vegetarian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a pleasant dinner at Graenn Kostur. It had come so highly recommended by another vegetarian tourist that we were disappointed. The food was quite good - we had lasagna - but nothing especially wonderful. However, it was great to have a restaurant which catered to vegetarians. They clearly use a lot of good, fresh ingredients. I would recommend it.

“Not my cup of tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

As a frequent visitor to vegetarian restaurants i must admit that this was a bit disappointing.
No real choice of food and Today's Menu was really not up my alley. Good service and I suppose that we all have different tastes....

• Visited July 2014
United States
“Don't let appearances fool you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place is certainly nothing to look at, inside or outside. If I had passed by it without having read reviews, I would not have wanted to stop. However, I had read reviews and searched the place out. The location certainly isn't obvious, and the only view is to a parking lot, but the food was good. My husband had the spinach lasagna. I ordered what was similar to a burrito. Since everything was in Icelandic, I wasn't exactly sure what it was called. But the servers explained to me what was in it, and it was very good. It contained rice and beans and vegetables. I was very glad it was a vegetarian restaurant, so I knew I wasn't eating anything I didn't want to eat. The server that attended to me didn't offer to heat my dish, and it was sort of room temperature. Another customer in line behind me ordered the same thing, and another server asked if she wanted it heated. I didn't want to complicate matters, so I just ate it at the temperature served, and it was still good and I enjoyed it. Both meals came with salad. Prices here were very reasonable considering how expensive the city is.

Surrey, United Kingdom
“Central location with reasonably priced, healthy food and great for gluten free.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Although this restaurant has been open for what seems like years, this was believe it or not, the first time I have eaten here. I have looked over the years, but always preferred their competitor around the corner, until that is they closed down. This time then, following the recommendation of others, I thought I would give them a try. I was not disappointed.

For some it may be a little hard to find, as the entrance is not that obvious, being located behind other shops and up some stairs, but once you do find them, it is easy to remember the location, and one that you will not want to forget.

While it is getting easier to eat out gluten free, when you add vegetarian to the mix, there are not that many places that cater for our needs, but it was no problem here with a list of suitable items all written up on the chalk board as you walk in. In my case, the options were soup or a veggie burger with sweet potato wedges and salad, which looked and tasted delicious with a choice of different dressings. I had this with a cold drink for around 2100 ISK, which by Icelandic standards is excellent value for money.

I chatted with the owner for a while afterwards, and she informed me that she has seen a big increase in demand for gluten free food by both Icelanders and visitors alike, which is heartening to hear, as it will hopefully mean that things will get easier still. Either way, this place is now firmly established on my list of favourites. With such a central location and tasty, reasonably priced food, what's not to like?

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Excellent find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Found this restaurant by chance. We had really good meals - lasagna and vegetable stew. Both really good, generous portion sizes. Really glad we found it