“Beautiful restaurant cozy”

Ranked #29 of 516 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The housing Laekjarbrekka was built as a dwelling in 1834, by the influential Danish ship owner and merchant P.C Knutzon. Hel also build a bakery and a turf house in the same lot and brought the Danish baker T.D Bernhöft to Iceland to practice his trade here. Bernhöft, who was for a long time the only baker in Reykjavík, bought the houses in 1845. The Bernhöft family continued in the baking business at this location for two generations, building a retail shop onto the dwelling house in 1855. This addition is today the part of the restaurant facing the main street. The building was used as a dwelling until 1961, and a small shop was there until the time of reconstruction began in 1980. By then, the house had fallen into disrepair, and had been neglected for a long time. Its future had been uncertain until 1979, when it and several other houses in the same block were declared protected buildings. During reconstruction, every attempt was made to preserve the original appearance. It is therefore with great pleasure to invite you to dine in this beautifully restored house, which has an eventful 180-year history behind it.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This restaurant has Icelandic specialities which my husband tried - he had the putrified shark that smelled stronger than its taste- more like a strong Cheese - it was served w a shot of brennivin - my arctic charr was delicious but the lobster soup was NOT heated enough so is was lukewarm which was a disappointment -
The dessert was frozen skyr with a warm raspberry sauce - excellent!!

1  Thank Nancy D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This lovely little place is located right in the city in a charming building. The tables are not on top of one another and the décor is simple in an elegant sort of way. They have many Icelandic items on their menu, which is posted outside, and that is the main reason for our choosing this place.

My husband is a much more adventurous eater than I am. He had to try the smoked puffin as an appetizer. I sampled it, just to say I had it, and found the after taste very strong and lingering. I actually had to take a breath mint to dispel this taste. He enjoyed it and followed this with minke whale, which was better tasting, but not so much for me to ever want to order it.

I ordered the lamb and lobster tail. It was delicious and beautifully presented. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the lobster tail (really, langoustine) was just as nicely done.

For dessert, I had strawberry mouse with "skyr" and licorice meringue bits on the side. Out of this world; light and refreshing but, as they say, presentation is everything!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very nice restaurant with traditional icelandic cuisine. Pleasant atmosphere, very friendly staff and delicious meals will be perfect beginning of the evening. The only problem is that due to popularity of the place it becomes stuffy when all the tables are occupied.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I did a lot of homework in finding a restaurant in Reykjavik for my wife's birthday (the one that begins wit a 6 and ends with a zero). I wanted it to be something we would always remember.
This restaurant's website is superb even showing videos of food being prepared. There is also full information on the prices which was a factor in my selection.
Laekjarbrekka specialises in Icelandic fine cuisine and excels at it.
We plundered the landscape of Iceland with such dishes as Puffin and Cormorant before turning our attention to the sea with wind dried fish, seaweed, salmon, arctic char and minke whale. If you are queasy about anything out of the ordinary, you can dine well without getting anything too exotic.
What you can be sure of is superb food and top class service. Our waiter explained the ingredients of the dishes and was attentive without being invasive.
We passed on the desserts due to being too full but he restaurant gave us a free dish of a variety of the sweet course anyway to celebrate my wife's birthday.
I did manage to squeeze down a shot of Brennivin to finish off.
The cost of the dinner was about £300 for the four of us and included cocktails and beer to start and two bottles of wine during the meal. Iceland is not inexpensive but by my reckoning there were other restaurants that would have cost more.
What more can I say? Didn't we do well?

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We got a 3 course meal with wine. The food was very good but service could be better but I would still recommend eating here as the restaurant is in a beautiful house

1  Thank krabbi