“Excellent base for exploring Reykjavik and surrounds”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
New York, NY
“Excellent base for exploring Reykjavik and surrounds”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Chose this hotel based off of TA reviews and because we have HHonors elite. Wasn't thrilled about the distance to the center of town - I suspect that's why it gets only 4 stars - but the amenities and service are great and we got to walk through more of Reykjavik (maybe 20-30 minutes). We arrived by FlyBus Plus - easy peasy! We also did a few organized day tours, which is why the location wasn't so much of an issue for us. They do give you a bus pass on request, but be warned that the buses stop late night (we had a kindly bus driver take pity on us after we returned from a boat tour to see the Northern Lights). To go into town, cross the street and take the bus from there. We had a view on the parking-lot side, but you could still see the ocean, so it wasn't bad. Be warned - if you check in early and have breakfast, they will charge you! Breakfast however, was excellent with lots of hot and cold options, starting early - maybe 7am. Their homemade peach skyr was wonderfully memorable! We saw the Northern Lights from the hotel parking lot - even more clearly than on the boat tour we had just come back from! The curtains aren't entirely black-out curtains, but we are used to city lights so it didn't bother us much. Standard Hilton Peter Thomas Roth toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) with an attached dispenser for hand/body wash in the shower and by the sink. Our 3 toiletry bags were a little cramped, but could all fit on the counter top. Wifi was included in our room rate, with good connectivity in the room. Wardrobe had enough room and hangers for our clothing and baggage. Room size was spacious and decorated sparingly - very Nordic. I think I booked a Queen-sized bed and we had two individual duvets. We would recommend, if you don't mind the walk into Reykjavik. We would probably stay there again if we went to Reykjavik, though now I think we'd rather explore the rest of Iceland!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joiedevivi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
northampton
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Modern, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and professional, the bar had a good menu and delicious cocktails. The rooms were good size, very clean and had everything you would need for a comfy stay. Beautiful view over the Esjan mountains, out of the huge windows. The hotel is just outside the centre of Reykjavik, but if you ask at the desk you get a free ticket for the regular buses that go into the city centre. Breakfast was too expensive, cheaper to go to a cafe in the town. And wifi is charged after the first 24hrs of use (a hilton thing i'm told). Would defiantly recommend, i wouldn't stay anywhere else in Reykjavik, perfect for family holidays or business trips.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the mountain are really worth the extra money, beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Somehow without intending to, I've become an accommodations snob. AirBnB this, and B&B guesthouse that. So, when I purchased a round-trip deal from Icelandair for 5 days in Iceland including accommodations at the Hilton, it wasn't quite as "indie" as I was used to, but it was a *great* deal.

Well, color me incorrect, because this is a really nice hotel. First of all, our friend broke her leg several weeks before our trip to Iceland, and they were more than happy to upgrade her room to an accessible one on a better floor and nearer to the elevator.

The rooms were well-sized, clean, and tastefully furnished in a warm, Scandinavian modern aesthetic. For transportation, it's about a 15-20 minute walk into the main part of Reykjavik with shops, about 30 minutes to get to the harbor, and if you're not feeling like walking there's a taxi stand right outside or a bus stop about 10 minutes away.

Breakfast was included with our package, and the options they had were pretty great. Definitely above average for a hotel breakfast - lots of English-inspired options like fried tomatoes, digestives, Jaffa cakes, and so on.

Drinks and food in the lounge area were a bit spendy, but that was par for the course for most of our time in Iceland -- food and especially alcohol is on the more expensive side.

Lastly, there's a spa with hot tubs, a sauna, and a steam room. Again, it's a little pricey, especially given how inexpensive local geothermal pools are, but you're paying for the convenience of it being at the hotel (and of it being a Hilton).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Plethora_Etc
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I travel quite a bit and this hotel is the best I have ever stayed at. It's not special in it's location or design, but the comfort was amazing. I have never slept in such comfortable beds. I woke up incredibly rested and happy. The breakfast buffet was very good and delicious.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed at the Hilton Nordica with my girlfriend in December 2013 and we both enjoyed our stay quite a bit. The lobby is large enough to utilize the free wifi comfortably and the bar area offers a wide selection and friendly bartenders.

The highlight of every day seemed to be the breakfast buffet, which we had included in the price of the room. I still wake up and dream of the smoked lamb and salmon that we found there. The regular restaurant, VOX also offers some good food.

The free shuttle to and from the center of town is a big plus.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tyler D
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a very nice modern hotel. The room I was given was clean and felt very Scandinavian to me. If you need to be at this hotel, it is a great place to be. Otherwise if you want to do something else or see some of the local area you are in for a very long walk (45 mins) taxi or bus. I am not against walking and walked most of the time I was there. Even in early September it was cold and rainy so be prepared.
I really did enjoy Reykjavik and the people were friendly. When I go back I would most likely do it in the summer (July) to avoid the cold and stay closer in town. If you have your own car or need to be here (I was here for a conference at the hotel) then I would highly suggest it. If this hotel was downtown or very close I would easily give it 5*.

Room Tip: I got a room on the top floor. I took the stairs up and down each day. I really enjoyed that.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed in Hilton Nordica for 5 nights in February 2014. We arrived on Sunday evening and waited in the reception to check in for almost 30 minutes. The staff (a lady who was on the phone the whole time and a gentleman dealing with the guests) was quite unfriendly and looked stressed out. The next day I approached the reception to ask to be moved into another room with the view to the front of the hotel - a big group left the hotel that morning and there were free rooms as a trainee in the reception informed us. While he was checking the computer to see where he can move us, his supervisor came and when she saw what he was planning to do, she said a few harsh sounding words to him in Icelandic and left. The trainee went red in face and apologised to us and said that he couldn't change our room as there were no free rooms. I felt sorry for the guy and didn't want to cause problems for him, so dropped that idea. What a shame that the permanent staff wasn't as nice and friendly as that trainee. The restaurant though is very good. But next time we will definitely avoid this hotel and stay somewhere in downtown.

Room Tip: Though we asked for a front facing room we didn't get it. Try to get one as they have a beautifu...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple