“Good Home Base, Location could be better”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Toronto, Canada
“Good Home Base, Location could be better”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at the Hilton July 28th to Aug 2nd when doing a small visit to Iceland.

The Hilton is, well, a Hilton. There was no real surprises staying here, which was what I was looking for. Clean, modern, and a decent home base to get a flavour of the country. As this was my first visit to Iceland, and I was travelling solo,I was looking for something which I could rely on and not have to worry about.

The hotel itself is in what I would call a slightly commercial/business area, about 10 - 15 minute walk from the edge of the touristy downtown core. If you do not want to walk, there are city bus stops both on the street in front of, and behind the hotel. A REALLY nice perk was that they were loaning out bus passes, which made it very easy to see the city. The buses even go a bit of of town. I used the "city" bus to visit the mountain which is just above the city (30-45 minute away, Esja around a 1000 meter mountain with trails).

My room was a tad on the small size (say 12"x25"), but modern and clean. Blond wooden floors, simple wall coverings, Scandinavian furniture, etc.

The bathroom was quite small, but decent water presure.

The hotel does have WIFI. They were testing out "what they called Trial" WIFI which was free for 24 hours. It was fairly fast and no issues connecting. Once my WIFI timed out, I reapplied for the free WIFI and it worked again. I'm not sure if it will always be this way.

For those travelling, the hotel also has an Activity centre where you can arrange for tours, etc. I booked some of the standard tours this way, which made it easy. Not that it would have been that hard to walk into town to any of the information booths. Rather expensive. I suspect they may charge a small premium for the service.

I did not eat at the hotels restaurant, however I did look at the menu. It seemed to be quite high end, interesting dishes (Horse anyone?), and a correspondingly high end price. I chose to eat out, grabbing snacks from the small market just up the hill. One night I ate at a Mexican place, also just up the street (very similar to a Chipotle Mexican grill type place). There are a few restaurants around the area, but not a lot. Most are downtown.

As for price, I'm not sure. I booked through Hotwire and had a decent deal. But, I suspect the standard price would be quite high. Then again, so is everything in Reykjavik.

So, overall, a good place to stay if you are looking for something known. If you are looking for something more Icelandic, you may wish for a local place. If you want to be in the core of the town, again, the Hilton might not be your best choice. Finally, if you are driving a lot and are only using the hotel as a home base (as I did), the Hilton is a good home base for points East and West as it has good highway access.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water and mountains have a nicer view (front of the building)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Larrabee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

A great hotel with awesome service! The rooms are nice, spacious, wooden floors, and deep tubs for those soaking baths!
Do not forget a power transformer for charging and utilizing your electronics!!
The view from the hotel is great as well!!
They have transportation to downtown on a regular basis, a great location to start your trip!

Stayed August 2014
San Jose, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's a typical Hilton hotel... it has the amenities one would expect from a big hotel. The room was of a good size and very comfortable. The hotel is not located in the city center though. We pickedthis hotel because this was our last stop/night after doing a road trip to other parts of Iceland. We arrived in the evening and the hotel has a parking lot for our rental car. The hotel has a shuttle to and from the city center, and also to and from the airport. Our plan was to drive ourselves and return our rental car, had the rental car company drop us off in the city center, and then catch the hotel shuttle from the city center back to the hotel. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and they explained things to us (like where's the hotel shuttle stop in the city center) very clearly. When we returned to the hotel, we picked up the luggage that we stored with the front desk staff and wait for the hotel shuttle to take us to the airport. Just be sure to let the hotel staff know in advance that you'll need a ride to the airport and they'll explain everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here with a tour group. The wifi in room #302 does not work and since I was there on a weekend, I sat in the lobby doing my email since their tech people were not available. They gave me a chit for two drinks for my inconvenience. We came back over one week later and my friend was given room #302 and still no Internet connection! WATCH OUT FOR ROOM #302!
The staff was charming, the breakfast buffet was good and very diverse and the overall appearance of the hotel was clean and modern.
The location is not in town but they will give you a bus pass to allow you to ride free. The ride into town is short. The bus in front of the hotel takes you to the bus station where you can walk to downtown or transfer to downtown buses. The bus about a block behind the hotel takes you directly into downtown passing by the Harpa Concert Hall on the route. Buses run about every half hour.
Not a bad choice but you could find a better location since the city is a great walking city.
They do not have a van service to the airport. A cab ride is over $120 US!

Room Tip: Check the wifi in your room BEFORE you unpack. If it does not work, walk down the hallway a room or...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very nice and comfortable hotel. Good value for money. Service and staff responsiveness is amazing. My wife had a fall and had injured her arm and they found us a clinic and doctor on a Icelandic holiday day. TV channel are very limited and needs to be improved

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank George V
New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I spent four nights in Reykjavik. Our room was very clean and well furnished. The room was a little small by US standards but typical of what we have experienced in Scandinavia. We had a beautiful view of the town and the Ocean. I strong encourage you to pay for the views. We were able to get a very good summer rate but had to ask for this when booking. We were promised access to the Executive Lounge. Unfortunately, the Nordica would not accommodate this promise. Ask for the Nordica bus pass. It is an easy way to move around the city and you won't have to pay the high rates for taxis. Also, take some time to experience the community center thermo pool a few blocks away.
My only other complaint would be regarding the Media. The hotel had terminated their agreement with a cable provider so there was very limited access to cable. In addition, the internet had to continually be renewed. All these negatives were out weighed by the positives.
Finally, purchase your wine at the duty free shop in the airport before taking your shuttle to the Hilton. The prices are 3 or 4 times greater in the city.

Room Tip: Pay for the view overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas B
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

It's okay but not great. Stayed as an executive with added services.
The staff here are way too by the book and not flexible with anything. I am still in the hotel for one more night but honestly wished we just stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2014