“Excellent Service, Fantastic Fine Food”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
liverpool, england
“Excellent Service, Fantastic Fine Food”
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Stayed at this hotel as part of a package from Icelandair, which included flights, room only and trip to Northern lights, at a cost of £299 per person for 3 nights.
We had emailed in advance to the hotel requesting a room that was accessable by lift etc, as I have mobility problems, and on arrival were checked in swiftly; Our room (427) was near the lift (occassional noise heard from it but nothing to moan about) and was a fully accessable room with plenty of room to get in and move about in my chair.

The room had tea/coffee making facilities, tv with BBC, ITV and CNN BBC world news plus several icelandic stations 2 of which had english/american programmes with Icelandic subtitles, iron & board, adjustable clothes rail, electronic safe, clock/alarm and comfy beds.

On our email we also enquired about adding breakfast, which was 2150ISK per person, which we did as the hotel was far out, however this is my one disappointment in the hotel - we had pointed out that we would not be wanting breakfast on the last day as we were leaving at 4.35am, and although the grab an go breakfast option started at 4.30, so early in the morning and having to be lifted on/off transfer coach would mean I would be unable to eat the breakie without being sick, I was informed though that as we had asked to book the breakfast we would be charged for all 3 days!! I do think that is out of order - that if you have a breakfast and you are charged for all days of your stay - or dont have any!!
The breakfast first day was served in a conference room as the retaurant was having maintenace work done and the staff seemed a little out of sync; there was the usual range of breakfast items, hot and cold, juices and tea/coffee, it was ok but it wasnt outstanding. The 2nd day was back in the restaurant, there seemed a little more things in the buffet, but it was still only ok.

Also included in our package was 1 entry to the hotel spa, which we did on our 1st full day. To access the spa from inside the hotel you take the lift to 2nd floor, and then at reception to the spa up 2 steps; you are given towels and shown to the changing rooms - male and female which appeared to be wide enough to be accessable however gender spacific, and as my husband is my carer/assistant, this was a problem as there are no multi sex changing rooms/disabled rooms, however the lady with us realised streight away that this caused a problem and took us into a vaccant massage room to change.

After changing we proceeded to the outdoor hot tub. Although it was cold getting into the tub (which again is accessed by a step and then a sit on the edge of the tub to swing my legs into - not the most ladylike way but needs must - and a step on the inside. The tub was lovely and hot, with the weather including windchill at -10c, and snow flakes flurrying about outside it was lovely in the tub! We stayed there for approx 40 mins when we decided to go inside to the pools inside.

Inside there were another 2 pools, which were very, very hot and a small cooler swimming/paddling pool; the ambiance inside is so relaxing with candlelight and soothing music and head and shoulder massages being given in the hot tubs, my husband absolutley loved his, I found mine a little too hard on the shoulders but lovely on the head massage.

On exit from the tubs, and with extra towels given to us so that my wheelchair didnt get wet, we decided it would be easier for hubby to get changed in the male changing room, and the take me back to my room to get me dry/dressed; the staff not only gave us more towels to wrap up in, but when my husband said he would bring the right back, they insisted we leave them in our room for the maid to return for us.

That evening, after a trip into town (walked there about 15/20 mins, taxi back - taxi cost 1600ISK) we decided to eat in the fine dining bit of the restaurant as a treat to ourselves as the northern lights trip was cancelled.
We had the menu explained to us at great length by the very friendly and knowledgable waiter and then, after having our water topped up, we were left to make our choices in peace.
The menu is expensive but well, the food tasted unbelievable! Absolutely delicious and every mouthfull was soo0 tasty, and the attention to every detail in presentation, preperation and in service is immaculate. Hubby took the wine choice menu too and each wine went so well with each course (he let me have a sip of each - I couldnt have drank 5 glasses of wine as well as the cocktail I had before dinner!) but I loved the dessert wine the best.
The whole evening was one of the best culinary expeariances we have ever had, and the service was up there too. A fantastic evening and well worth the money - I wouldnt hesitate to do it again on my next trip to Reykjavik, and am thinking of return purely to expeariance this again.

The next evening (after a day on the golden circle tour, which I will also review in the correct section) we decided to have an early dinner, so ate in the bistro part of the restaurant. Again the food was very tasty and well presented, and the service was very good - not quite as attentive as in the other part of Vox, but still very good.

The other thing to note is that the bar has a happy hour daily from 5pm - 7pm where all alcoholic drinks are half price, which makes the drinks a very appealing price and are well worth going in for.

We booked our trip at the booking office in the hotel, and surprisingly were not a particular company selling their trips, but an independant who would book tours with many services. We were advised that we would benefit from one of the minibus tours rather than the larger tours as it would be easier to get on/off the bus. She tried one firm, who only had 2 places but were unwilling to take the chair too, so she rang another firm and explained who agreed and booked us in. The lady there also kept us informed each night if the Northern lights tour was on or not. Unfortunatley it never was!

One last thing to note is - I had read on a previous review that if you book flybus+ the flybus stops at the Hilton on the way into town and before going to the bus depot; that may have happebed on that occassion but on our trip both ways we went to/from the depot the on to hotel/airport with the return trip needing a change of bus at the depot. The flybus service is very efficient and ran on time and the reception staff at the Hilton were helpful in booking the return bus and were helpful in all our other queeries - other than the breakfast issue that was the only blemish in an otherwise faultless stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank juejosh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stockport
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a short break in February. The hotel reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. The reception areas were clean, tidy and welcoming. The rooms were nicely decorated and we had no complaints about them at all.
The bar is incredible expensive and the only good side was that they had a happy 'hour' from 17.00 - 19.00 each evening.
The restaurant was the only place I would have cause to complain. The breakfast service is very expensive and you get charged for the full buffet whether you were having it or not. My husband doesn't tend to eat breakfast but came down to keep me company. All he had was a glass of juice and a coffee but we were charged the full price for both of us.
The evening service was something else entirely. On the first night we were going out early so had an early dinner. The staff were very attentive, bringing water and constantly checking we were ok. On the second evening however, lord only knows what happened. The staff were very thin on the ground, and less thasn helpful. We gave our menu choices and were left for what felt like ages before anyone came to take our drinks order. We had to ask for water, and when our main course eventually turned up it was slammed down in front of us. I was so angry I just got up and left the restaurant. My husband explained to the person on the door about our appalling experience, and offered to pay for what we had eaten, but to be fair they wouldn't accept it. The overall feeling was that the staff were not interested in the customers needs and it is not what you would expect from a hotel such as The Hilton.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CheshireCat99
London, UK/Detroit, MI, USA
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The Hilton Reykjavik is a 'standard' Hilton, so no complaints in terms of cleanliness, service, rooms and sleep quality. It was as to be expected.

The only issue with the hotel is its distance to the downtown area. It takes from 25-35 minutes if you walk and 8 minutes by car (roughly 2.8km/1.7 miles). We took the walk on some occasions; however, we also rented a car for the daytime. A car is also a good option for going to areas outside of the city, such as the Blue Lagoon.

If you don't mind its location, the Hilton is a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank dfisch891
toronto
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Since I got so much help from this site in booking my vacation, I'm hoping to share my findings. We had a wonderful stay in September we were only here for 3 nights on our stop over from France. It is a little bit out of the way but easy to get to anything. There is a little shop just around the corner which is very convenient for any snacks. We had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant, which was pricey but very good. (Had a bad stomach that night but don't know if it was because of the restaurant, I have a sensitive stomach)

The staff were all helpfull and we enjoyed our stay. We did the blue lagoon on the way to the airport, a trip to glacier lagoon, which was long but worth the trip and the golden circle tour.

Iceland was a great location for a stop over from Europe.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Had a great package deal with Iceland Air that included airfare, buffet breakfast and Golden Circle Tour. The breakfast was fantastic several types of fish & meat, eggs, breads, pastries, yogurt, cheese, cookies, potatoes, beans, pancakes and cereal. Food is very expensive in Iceland, $29 for a BBQ chicken dinner, $24 for a reindeer burger, ect. With the great breakfast able to make do with a snack & one meal. They have a travel office in the hotel, able to get advice bus schedules, tourist pass and tours booked. The room was kept real warm, twin beded room comfortable, wood floors, mini-bar, iron & board & had a robe, The Shower was the best hotel shower I've ever had, lots of hot water and pressure. the bath had a hairdryer, phone and magnifing mirror. Hotel is close to the zoo, largest public outdoor heated pool. There is not private showers in locker room- expected to shower without suit on.
If you go for the northern lights - take a private tour super jeep -not the large bus tour. We went out twice only saw the glow no colors. The Blue lagoon is fabulous. Everyone speaks english and are very helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank scappoose29
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2010

The rooms were modern and very clean, Staff were friendly and more than happy to help. Rooms were cleaned daily and one of the few places where it is done properly. out of all the places i stayed on my 30 day Euro trip this was the place i enjoyed most. The hotel is a little out of the center of town but is walkable if you are keen, but they have a courtesy bus to take you into town which makes it handy. For the price booked with icelandair i felt i got a pretty good deal, would recommend this to all who are staying in Reykjavik Iceland.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Whydowehavetogohome
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Just spent 3 nights in the Nordica and had a great time. Much better than Hiltons I've stayed in before. Very modern, clean and comfortable but with nice, traditional touches eg. The Yule Lads left a Christmas gift on our door handle each night!
Food was good if a little pricey but that's Iceland for you.
Location could have been better but it really isn't that far into town.
Thoroughly enjoyed Iceland and the Hilton Nordica!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple